Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th October 2021, 13:12   #1
gkx947n

Rover 75 Saloon

Default cv joint or gearbox problem?

Hello I hope someone here can help,
My rover 75 CDTi makes a horrible grinding noise that comes from the N/S front of the car.
I have jacked it up and checked for debris in the brakes. I then wobbled the wheel top to bottom there is no untoward movement so I doubt it is the wheel bearing.
When I wobble the wheel 9 o'clock - 3 o'clock there is movement in the driveshaft.
I removed the wheel and if I hold the shaft between the inner and outer CV Joints I can pull/push it in and out by about 1/4 inch. This movement is in the shaft. The CV joints stay where they are.
I have tried pulling/pushing the inner joint and there is no movement into or out of the gearbox. But there is movement in all dirctions at 90 degrees to the joint ie up,down,left,right and diagonally.
If I hold the inner joint steady and rotate the shaft back and forth there is play in it. Also in the outer joint but less so. there is also play in the gearbox if I rotate the inner joint.
I recently changed the gearbox oil and although discoloured there was no sign of metal fragments when i ran a magnet through the old oil.

My questions are:
How much of all this would be considered normal?
Which part or combination of parts are at fault?
and
If it is the driveshaft inner where can i get one for less than the value of the car?
gkx947n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2021, 17:23   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

When pushing and pulling the driveshaft there should be a fair bit of movement - the driveshaft acts like a cardan shaft to allow for the difference in length between the wheel and gearbox as the suspension moves up and down.

There shouldn't be any noticeable radial play in the driveshaft when twisting it though.

For a replacement driveshaft contact Mickyboy on here for a secondhand one - they are usually pretty much bullet proof so a good used bet.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 10th October 2021 at 17:27..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2021, 22:55   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Is it manual or auto because they are different.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2021, 15:51   #4
gkx947n

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Is it manual or auto because they are different.

It is a facelift (2004) and a manual
Old 11th October 2021, 15:58   #5
gkx947n

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
When pushing and pulling the driveshaft there should be a fair bit of movement - the driveshaft acts like a cardan shaft to allow for the difference in length between the wheel and gearbox as the suspension moves up and down.

There shouldn't be any noticeable radial play in the driveshaft when twisting it though.

For a replacement driveshaft contact Mickyboy on here for a secondhand one - they are usually pretty much bullet proof so a good used bet.

Thank you for the reply. It kind of confirms my suspisions that was what was wrong and that second hand is the way forward.
how much rotational play would one expect from the diff?
ignoring that in the shaft mine seems to have quite alot and it makes clonky noises from the diff when the slack is taken up.
also should it be possible to wobble the inner joint around where it enters the diff?
Old 11th October 2021, 19:20   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you are rotating one wheel whilst the other is on the ground then you aren't just feeling the play in the differential, but also the dual mass flywheel, and that can add a fair bit to the equation. How many miles has your car done?

Best way to check the driveshaft is with it out of the car.

There shouldn't be much play where the inner joint enters the diff - had loads on a Freelander TD4 once but no leaks so the seal coped with it.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 11th October 2021 at 19:24..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2021, 19:39   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkx947n View Post
It is a facelift (2004) and a manual
I have a good used manual driveshaft at the back of the shed, i recently sold a brand new one, which i had just in case for my first tourer i now own an Auto so will not fit my car.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 11th October 2021 at 19:45..
Old 12th October 2021, 08:24   #8
gkx947n

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If you are rotating one wheel whilst the other is on the ground then you aren't just feeling the play in the differential, but also the dual mass flywheel, and that can add a fair bit to the equation. How many miles has your car done?

Best way to check the driveshaft is with it out of the car.

There shouldn't be much play where the inner joint enters the diff - had loads on a Freelander TD4 once but no leaks so the seal coped with it

Its covered 155,000 now. We have done 75,000 of those over the last 7 years. It has been a bit of a pain to keep it going. And over the course of ownership I have had to replace many many bits, including all the usual suspects (lower arms, wheel bearings,drop links, brakes etc etc) and the all the springs (front twice) dampers, upper lower arms and bushes on rear to mention a few.

I have managed all this working on my drive and none of it would have been possible without access to the combined wisdom of those on this forum who have been there before me.

So a big thanks to all those who have posted how tos, pictures and asked and answered all the questions. Wihout all this information I would have given up ages ago and got something else which would have been a shame as the 75 is a great car.

Todays mission is to get the drive shaft out and check it off the car
Old 12th October 2021, 08:25   #9
gkx947n

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I have a good used manual driveshaft at the back of the shed, i recently sold a brand new one, which i had just in case for my first tourer i now own an Auto so will not fit my car.

Thank you please could you DM and let me know how much and how to get money to you
Old 12th October 2021, 09:18   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkx947n View Post
Thank you please could you DM and let me know how much and how to get money to you
Hi Daniel.
I have dropped you a PM and i will double check the drive shaft today for you, i have also sent you my email address.

ad altiora tendo.