Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th April 2012, 17:45   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default Erm, why so little?

Changed my gearbox oil, but only collected 650ml of old oil Should be 1.4 litres that drains out

I had spilt a bit as it came out, but certainly nowhere near the same amount that I collected! Much less than a quarter of that I'd say.

There were signs of 'dampness' around the ends of the driveshafts, but certainly nothing of any great volume, no drips at all. No other signs of fluid anywhere.

The old oil was quite a thicker than the new, and was yellowy-black, with some metal specks, some a bit too big for my liking. There were signs of the filler plug being previously damaged slightly.

The gearchange seemed OK to me before the drain and fill, not silk smooth, but reasonably fine. Not taken it for a drive since refilling.

However, there has been a noise that sounded a little bit like the transmission whine on an old FWD 'A-series' gearbox. I had hoped this was the aircon compressor, which I know has a slight leak. The whine is present without aircon on, mind.

So, where has my oil gone? The engine was removed when a new clutch was put in last April, and I was told that the engine appeared to have been removed previously (presumably for the first replacement clutch, before my ownership). I wasn't charged for gearbox oil when the clutch was done, so I assume the old oil was reused.

Any ideas what happened? I should I simply monitor the situation or should I be doing something a bit more (can't think what!).

Regards all, Bolin.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 17:48   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Um...WHY would they remove the engine to do the clutch? So long as you have the right amount of oil in it now! Might be worth checking after a few months..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 20:02   #3
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

This could be down to bad workman ship Colin with them not bothering to check the oil in the gear box when refitting
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 22:06   #4
Bolin
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Um...WHY would they remove the engine to do the clutch? So long as you have the right amount of oil in it now! Might be worth checking after a few months..
Well I'm not sure about when the first replacement clutch was put in, but when I had the clutch changed the engine was removed as the cambelts were to be done at the same time and this was apparently the best way to do both jobs at once.

I think I'll keep a weekly check on it to begin with, don't want to run the risk of the 'box having too little oil in it.
Old 7th April 2012, 22:11   #5
Bolin
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
This could be down to bad workman ship Colin with them not bothering to check the oil in the gear box when refitting
I hope not Derek, I had the clutch done by A&L Automotive and they did a great job of it, it was very light afterwards, so I'd like to think that this wouldn't have been overlooked.

Which makes think there must be a leak, but the dampness around the driveshaft ends doesn't look particularly bad - unless maybe the oil level had dropped below them and the leaked oil had mostly burned off

Just worried that the driveshaft seals might need replacing, can't think what else it could be or what I can usually do about it right now
Old 7th April 2012, 22:28   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Not a big job to replace the driveshaft gearbox seals. Disconnect both lower suspension arm outer balljoints and the extension shaft bearing on the off side and the driveshafts can be withdrawn from the gearbox.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 10:36   #7
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Always a conundrum. Does the gearbox hold the correct amount of oil?
Only way is putting it on a lift in a workshop.
Most people measure the amount they take out and replace with like if you are DIY and are not level on ramps etc. not a perfect level surface.
On the other hand, if you see lots of oil at shafts on gearbox, then you could have lost some.
I wouldn't sweat it. Part of the joys of running a car, even new ones you get this situation.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 10:42   #8
Bolin
This is my second home

I filled the gearbox until oil came out (car was levelled using jacks). It seemed to take over 1.6 litres, although I did spill some. It should take 1.4 for a drain and refill.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for escaping oil. It's something extra to keep an eye on, along with the clutch master cylinder, inlet manifold, VIS motors etc, all of which are vying for my attention at the moment
Old 8th April 2012, 17:29   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiel View Post
Always a conundrum. Does the gearbox hold the correct amount of oil?
Only way is putting it on a lift in a workshop.
Most people measure the amount they take out and replace with like if you are DIY and are not level on ramps etc. not a perfect level surface.
On the other hand, if you see lots of oil at shafts on gearbox, then you could have lost some.
I wouldn't sweat it. Part of the joys of running a car, even new ones you get this situation.
No need for a lift in a workshop - jack the car up, remove the NSF wheel then lower the jack back down until the car is level again. Block it when level for safety.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 17:54   #10
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
I filled the gearbox until oil came out (car was levelled using jacks). It seemed to take over 1.6 litres, although I did spill some. It should take 1.4 for a drain and refill.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for escaping oil. It's something extra to keep an eye on, along with the clutch master cylinder, inlet manifold, VIS motors etc, all of which are vying for my attention at the moment
If you do have leaky seals at driveshaft then you will start seeing fresh seepage now.
Hope you cleaned the old oil off so you can check well at next inspection.
Get some plastic tubing and a small funnel and route it from top of engine is best way to top up gearbox
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote