Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2016, 18:25   #1
wildie1972
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 turbo+

Talking It's alive but not well !!!!!!!

Having had a few issues since buying my first ZT 1.8 turbo I'm beggining to wonder if I've made the right decision in buying one.

Ive replaced the turbo and inlet manifold gasket, found the power that was missing by retiming the cam shafts, sorted the cold spot in the heater matrix and replaced the turbo to tee piece cooling pipe all thanks to advice on this great forum.

The car has now developed an awful noise at 2500 revs at around 25 mph, it sound like a metallic rattle either from the engine or gearbox. I can also hear it at higher speeds when I'm driving it a bit harder and ease off to change gear. When i'm stationary the revs are a little erratic fluctuating between 800 and 1000 RPM and when I park it up and turn the engine off their is a popping noise coming from the exhaust it almost sounds like water going down a plug hole. All this has developed in the last couple of weeks.

I was an Alfa Rmoeo driver for a number of years and they can be problamatic but the ZT is pushing me to the end of my tether.

Last edited by Greeners; 30th January 2017 at 13:08..
wildie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 18:28   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Get yourself over to BigRuss for a T4 session & sound advice mate He's in Liversedge, I think? unless he's moved
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 18:53   #3
wildie1972
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 turbo+

Forgot to mention that when I'm sat in traffic the oil light flickers as well.
Old 8th December 2016, 20:35   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It sounds as though it could be a rattle from the big ends.

You say you have low oil pressure. This could be because of the revs going up and down at idle. Or worn big ends.

If you can rev the engine with the bonnet up and listen to the engine. Where does the noise, if any, seem to come from ??

This will give you an idea as to whether it's the engine or box.

One other thing that can give this sort of noise is a loose heat shield on the exhaust system.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 22:12   #5
wildie1972
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 turbo+

Thanks for the replys Ill check the heat shields as I'm under it tomorrow to fit new rubbers to the exhaust. If the big ends are going wouldn't it make the noise all the time?
I'll lift the bonnet and give it a rev in the morning if the big ends are going I'm affraid the car is too as I've never done them before and dont fancy doing them on the drive.
Old 9th December 2016, 09:48   #6
wildie1972
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 turbo+

Well the weather is pants so wont be doing much investigating today but I have checked my oil and water levels and found mayo starting to appear on the dipstick.

Surley the head gasket cant be going the previous owner had it done at the beggining of the year

Last edited by wildie1972; 9th December 2016 at 09:49.. Reason: spelling error
Old 9th December 2016, 13:02   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildie1972 View Post
Surley the head gasket cant be going the previous owner had it done at the beggining of the year
It depends whether or not it was done properly!

Perhaps you've read about checking the liner heights, checking the head surface with a straight edge and careful selection of either the elastomer or MLS gaskets.

Simon
Old 9th December 2016, 13:33   #8
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
It begs the question as to whether the oil was changed when the gasket was replaced? Also if the liners and ladder were supported when the head was off and the crankshaft was turned could make the main bearings rotate resulting in wear and loss of oil pressure? The fact you have had to reset the valve timing makes me think the job wasn't done by a reputable mechanic.

If the oil pressure is so low at tick over (3-5psi) so it puts the light on then to me there must be considerable wear or a weak oil pump.
Big end noise is a classic sound but not many these days will be able to diagnose it correctly, it takes more than just a rev.
Big ends that are worn make less noise when cold due to the fact the oil is more viscous and can take up a little more slack in the bearings, once hot the rattle usually get louder when you lift your foot slightly off the throttle, this is due to less loading on the big ends at this point, under acceleration or load and also with your foot off the accelerator the loading is higher (Engine accelerating = load, conversely engine braking = load)
Revving the engine then backing off with give you a quick burst of a rattle as will holding the the revs in neutral.

Last edited by murphyv310; 9th December 2016 at 13:51.. Reason: Added sentence
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 15:23   #9
wildie1972
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 turbo+

So basically the engine may need a rebuild ? Head gasket head skimming and bottom end doing? Think it's going to be time to get rid and have the wife ferry me about.
Old 9th December 2016, 16:06   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Get yourself over to BigRuss for a T4 session & sound advice mate He's in Liversedge, I think? unless he's moved
Very sound advice.

An expert ear might find things are not as serious as you think.

Besides if your wife drives like mine then having her drive you about will be a fate worse than death.--

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
It begs the question as to whether the oil was changed when the gasket was replaced? Also if the liners and ladder were supported when the head was off and the crankshaft was turned could make the main bearings rotate resulting in wear and loss of oil pressure? The fact you have had to reset the valve timing makes me think the job wasn't done by a reputable mechanic.

If the oil pressure is so low at tick over (3-5psi) so it puts the light on then to me there must be considerable wear or a weak oil pump.
Big end noise is a classic sound but not many these days will be able to diagnose it correctly, it takes more than just a rev.
Big ends that are worn make less noise when cold due to the fact the oil is more viscous and can take up a little more slack in the bearings, once hot the rattle usually get louder when you lift your foot slightly off the throttle, this is due to less loading on the big ends at this point, under acceleration or load and also with your foot off the accelerator the loading is higher (Engine accelerating = load, conversely engine braking = load)
Revving the engine then backing off with give you a quick burst of a rattle as will holding the the revs in neutral.
Hi Trevor.

I don't think the OP mentioned Head Gaskets.

Merry Xmas.------

Last edited by Dragrad; 14th December 2016 at 01:39.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote