Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd September 2021, 11:56   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Head or Heart, hard to decide...

I've reached the point where if I'm going to keep the ZT, it needs to be up the standard it was when I got it. Unfortunately, pricing that up comes to £2500, £3500+ if I do everything I want to. I love the car, and it's done me well, but there's still some common failures that Haven't happened yet, so need to budget for them in the near future, that's another £600+. Spending that sort of money on a 17 year old, 200,000+ mile car, that I'd only ever get no more than £1000 for seems silly.

I really like the look of the Jaguar XE or Mazda 6, I also liked the VW CC, but have read too many problems with them.

My head says replace the ZT with something newer, more efficient, cheaper tax, and a better starting point, as in, everything being in good condition to start with. My heart says keep the ZT, at least get it to it's 20th birthday, it was our wedding car, but I can't keep seeing it in the state its in, so would have to spend a serious amount on it. Tricky decision, and I think whichever way I decide, I'll regret it.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:06   #2
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

It's an interesting dilemma. I tend to prefer 'the devil I know'. Some of the stories about new cars just out of warranty needing large wads of cash to fix them are worrying. Coupled with eye-watering rates of depreciation on new cars, and there's a lot to be said for biting the bullet and spending £2-£3k on the car you already own, especially considering the sentimental value. However, the increasing pressure to 'go electric' has definitely muddied the waters. If I was in London, I'd probably go electric/bike/public transport. Here in Cornwall, I can wait another year or two unless they move the goalposts again. Good luck with your deliberations.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 14:31   #3
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

I notice that you are throwing this up in the air, for debate, as opposed to looking for an actual answer.

That is good: only you, and all things being equal, your wife; can make your final decision.

May I suggest the following, for your consideration :-

Is it important to either of you, to keep up to date, or up with the Jones’s?

Does owning a future classic appeal to either or both of you?

£3,500, and a further £600, is a lot of money to spend on a 17 year old car.
But it’s more than a 17 year old car. It’s an old car, with memories, and by the sounds of it, at least some sentimental value.

Have you ever sold a car, and later regretted it?
I have, and the money involved “dissolves” in both time, and your regrets.

I was (still am, at heart) an engineer, so not a bean counter.
No disrespect here; I’m grateful for the companies that employed me, and needed strong financial controls to survive.

I doubt if £4,000 plus is enough to buy a (near perfect) modern 2nd hand replacement for a quality car.

But, by your calculations, it is enough to recreate a (fading?) Pride and Joy.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.

Last edited by BRG75; 23rd September 2021 at 14:33..
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 14:43   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

As long as you are fit enough and able to run what you like, you should do it. I had to give up my Rover and miss it like crazy every day!
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:25   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

As I have put on here before new cars can be a nightmare if and when they go wrong. Software updates, faults that even a main dealer cant fix and the depreciation on a newer car can be eyewatering.

Yes they look lovely on the test drive and yes I am sure the road tax is less but how often do you need all those gadgets they all now seem to have and what happens when these gadgets fail and have to be fixed because there is a warning light on and it wont pass an MOT with that showing.

The one that is bugging me at the moment is electronic handbrakes, a total useless device and complication for the sake of it, a cable and a lever has worked for a 100 years and if it does go wrong costs £30 for a new cable. I am helping a mate with a car on Monday with such a device, I am borrowing a device to hopefully wind the shows back and if that does not work the dealer will be taking half a weeks wages off him to do the job.

Stick with what you have as long as its structually sound and even if you had to spend the amount it would cost to replace it with a modern car you will be still be better off long term.

As a buy the way, modern cars rarely do the MPG that is claimed unless you drive like a NUN in perfect conditions. If a modern car does 10% more than a car made 15 to 20 years ago you are lucky.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:20   #6
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Why don't you just buy another ZT that doesn't need all that work doing??

The thing with MG Rover is that everyone thinks the head gasket is going to go no matter which engine you have and they also think you can't get parts any more because they've gone bust. Neither is true and that's what creates value - when everyone else thinks something is rubbish but you have some insider info which tells you it's not. Let's face it if the sills have been done and you regularly service them, our cars are pretty reliable, easy to work on and fantastic value.
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:51   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

"£2500, £3500+ if I do everything I want to. I love the car, and it's done me well, but there's still some common failures that Haven't happened yet, so need to budget for them in the near future, that's another £600+"

It's a lot of money. However, what would another car cost you? I'm 99% sure that a Jag XE would cost you more to maintain. Also you say, "the things you want to do". Why not concentrate on the must do first? If all goes well, work through to the wants. I defected to Jags 2 years ago and spent a fortune in addition to the purchase price. I'm hoping that my disel Connie will now last me until I hang up my gloves, (or boots).
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:57   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Here's the process that I would go through. I'll word it as if I was advising the OP.

1. Do you crave having a more modern car and have the means to comfortably afford one. If so, get one - the XE is a really fine car. End of story.

2. Do you have the means to spend around £4k to £5k on a hobby without having to turn down the heating during winter? If so, go with your heart and get the ZT fixed. Ask an expert, e.g. trikey, to spend a couple of hours giving your car a thorough inspection at your expense and advising you of all that is likely to to need attention in order to make the car last another 5 years. Then give it to the same expert or his recommended operator to do all the work in one go so as to catch areas likely to rust or otherwise deteriorate before the worm starts eating away. End of story and enjoy the car for the next 4-5 year.

3. If neither of the above are true, get rid of the ZT and buy a car you like. I think the VW CC is a beautiful car and cannot possibly have significant reliability issues as it is basically a sexy Passat - a Passat in classy leathers if you like. Get one and enjoy.

4. If funds are not plentiful and you are concerned about the more sophisticated modern cars, buy a 2015 to 2017 Astra or Focus. They are not super complex, most garages can work on them, parts are good quality but cheap, but they are absolutely competent. In fact, if you choose the right engine, they can be a pleasure to drive.

5. Do not think about what you may get back from a car - assume that whatever you put in is a one-time write-off.

Do remember that the 75/ZT were not exactly the epitome of reliability in the public's eyes when they were current. Also, in my opinion too many people are wrongly thinking that an XE or XF is a 75/ZT equivalent car. They are a huge step above the 75/ZT in every way and therefore carry ownership costs to match. If it's a like for like replacement in terms of competence and comfort it would more realistic to think in terms of a Passat, Mondeo, Insignia etc.

I've done 1 and 2 and not regretted it.

Last edited by MSS; 23rd September 2021 at 19:17..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:36   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
My head says replace the ZT with something newer, more efficient, cheaper tax, and a better starting point, as in, everything being in good condition to start with. My heart says keep the ZT, at least get it to it's 20th birthday, it was our wedding car, but I can't keep seeing it in the state its in, so would have to spend a serious amount on it. Tricky decision, and I think whichever way I decide, I'll regret it.
When you find yourself using the Head VS Heart scenario, it's only a matter of time until you get rid. We've all been there and done that, and we all end up there again and again.

Can you not keep the old girl as a hobby car?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:22   #10
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

3. If neither of the above are true, get rid of the ZT and buy a car you like. I think the VW CC is a beautiful car and cannot possibly have significant reliability issues as it is basically a sexy Passat - a Passat in classy leathers if you like. Get one and enjoy.
You would think but sadly they are the proverbial piece of cr4p, a garage I know well has one coming back time and time again for various problems mainly electrical. Another I heard of the main dealer admitted that they are probably one of the worse cars VW have made in the last 20 years. I know the diesels have had a problem as the loom for the injectors passed through the rocker covers in the hot engine oil. When did soaking a loom in hot oil become a good idea?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote