Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th September 2021, 08:59   #1
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts
Default OBD2 scanners

Anyone found a scanner that can look at ABS sensors ? , hoping for something more portable than Toaf and a laptop .
just wondering ?

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 20:05   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

been looking myself recently. seems its either toaf, or pscan for anything that works. so that means laptop. i hope someones got other options handheld but the rovers a difficult one. i think our hands may have to go deep into the pocket.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 20:11   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

at least with pscan you cannot do damage. toaf can if you dont know what your doing. or so im told.
Old 27th September 2021, 20:28   #4
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

I thought toaf had an android app??
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 21:34   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

so i have read but im not brave enough to use toaf as i dont really know what im doing, plus if there happens to be a glitch come up with either phone or app .... well i would rather stick with read only and trust the traders who do. the good thing about pscan is it can bleed abs. which is now an added feature, but hopefully i wont need that very often. ..
Old 27th September 2021, 22:03   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

does anyone know on nearside front wheel sensor kv6 r75 what voltage should a multimeter read ? im looking at a sensor problem abs light for an old boy near me who has had both blue underbonnet abs plugs removed and hard wired. ( i think they were brittle and snapped by a butcher at some point). it fails the dynamic on the open road and light comes on. the car does not have cruise but according to the A.A front sensor nearside open circuit code showing on their scan. the car passes the static test with ignition on and then the abs light extinguishes as it should. i have measured red/black power on 12.1 v so that appears ok. red return from sensor i have yet to check. am i looking for 0.6 / 0.7 volts with the wheel at rest with ignition on and abs light out ? i want to establish this first for continuity through the blue plugs hard wires first, before looking for switched voltage approx 1 volt increase. (up to 1.7 v etc.) secondly as these aftermarket ebay sensors have different colour wires , would the hall switch sensor work with any polarity power reversed. ? anyone .. thanks.
Old 27th September 2021, 22:04   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

sorry to sort of hijack the thread...
Old 28th September 2021, 06:52   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The voltage switches between 0.7v and 1.7v as the magnetic reluctor segments pass the sensor. If you get 48 of them for each revolution of the wheel (mark the tyre with chalk) then both sensor and reluctor are good.

If missing segments are random suspect the sensor and if they are in the same part of the revolution each time suspect the reluctor.
For by far the vast majority of ABS faults you don't need any fancy diagnostic equipment - just a voltmeter.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 08:58   #9
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Had a few emailings with AUTEL and told them what i was after , and they reckon they don't have any scanner that will work with our cars ( or they couldn't be bothered ) as my old Nexpeak chinese one worked pretty well for codes , even on the 260. but nothing in the ABS area .

c.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 10:27   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The voltage switches between 0.7v and 1.7v as the magnetic reluctor segments pass the sensor. If you get 48 of them for each revolution of the wheel (mark the tyre with chalk) then both sensor and reluctor are good.

If missing segments are random suspect the sensor and if they are in the same part of the revolution each time suspect the reluctor.
For by far the vast majority of ABS faults you don't need any fancy diagnostic equipment - just a voltmeter.
thankyou mike. so to be clear 1. during static check ignition on test output volts from sensor is a minimum 0.6/7 volts . 2. static check over. 0.6/7 volts output until wheel movement. so this voltage should be constant both during and after static , until of course the road wheel is turned ? im asking as i need to check through the hard wiring continuity during static test. many thanks for your reply. will the sensor work reversed polarity ?