Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2021, 08:24   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default Environmental speed limits.

These reduced speed limits seem to be popping up around the country more & more, The reduced environmental speed limits on a number of 'A' roads & Motorways in Wales is going to be enforced from next Monday 4th October.
I see that the new £336million A465 heads of the valleys dual carriageway is going to get a permanent 50mph too

Watch out if you use these roads as the cameras will be switched on on Monday. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...onday-21685171

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 10:53   #2
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Lower speed limits merely cause congestion and are therefore worse for climate change if you believe in it.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 11:03   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I agree that lower speed limits may cause congestion; where I used to live, they installed road humps and therefore it was more difficult to actually cross the roads. They also created loads more noise.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 15:26   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Lower speed limits merely cause congestion and are therefore worse for climate change if you believe in it.
That is a real interesting point and while I agree, I ask you to explain.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 18:24   #5
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
These reduced speed limits seem to be popping up around the country more & more, The reduced environmental speed limits on a number of 'A' roads & Motorways in Wales is going to be enforced from next Monday 4th October.
I see that the new £336million A465 heads of the valleys dual carriageway is going to get a permanent 50mph too

Watch out if you use these roads as the cameras will be switched on on Monday. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...onday-21685171
These ideas are brain-stormed on a Friday afternoon by three year old children of employees working for the DOT, they are then trial tested on the public on Saturday morning and made into by-laws on the Sunday, the children responsible are all treated to chocolate brownies.

Where is the scientific evidence that these moronic acts actually contribute anything positive to the environment?.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 20:12   #6
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

It makes me worry who employs these so called experts?

Locally there is a junction that always had queues waiting for the traffic lights to change. A few weeks ago the lights failed and the traffic was flowing better than it has for a long time, people were looking and if nothing was coming they were using there common sense.

This junction used to a roundabout with no queues, it always flowed well and apart from the odd fender bender was never a problem. With the traffic lights and feeder lanes there have been numerous bad accidents and I have even seen a van on it side because it tried to beet the lights and turned too quickly.

There is a good road in the Cotswolds that has always been a 60mph limit, the bit in Oxfordshire has changed to 50mph and that is the straightest part of the 8 miles, the windy bit with several junctions in Gloucestershire is still 60mph.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 21:54   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I have to say that driving at 55MPH and 70MPH makes a huge difference to a car's MPG and therefore the the total amount of fuel used for a journey and consequently the pollution per mile.

Perhaps the reason we all drive so many miles is that it is so easy to do. Throttling flow could be a very effective way of achieving a meaningful reduction in pollution. If it puts some people off driving to some extent then that would be an added bonus.

Whilst I often like to use the performance of my cars for acceleration etc, I am never in such a hurry to get anywhere that it cannot be achieved at 50MPH.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 09:08   #8
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I have to say that driving at 55MPH and 70MPH makes a huge difference to a car's MPG and therefore the the total amount of fuel used for a journey and consequently the pollution per mile.

Perhaps the reason we all drive so many miles is that it is so easy to do. Throttling flow could be a very effective way of achieving a meaningful reduction in pollution. If it puts some people off driving to some extent then that would be an added bonus.

Whilst I often like to use the performance of my cars for acceleration etc, I am never in such a hurry to get anywhere that it cannot be achieved at 50MPH.
So if this speed control measure is so effective, lets put it to the test, lets make law that from now on ALL cabinet ministers will be required to be driven at no more than 55mph at all times, that includes everyone, lets do it for a month, anyone caught speeding will have to resign, here we are a democracy in action. Lets see how environmentally friendly this is.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 09:30   #9
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

IMHO this is further opening up the vast rift between the two "E's"

Environment vs Economy (the financial one, not the mpg one ).

We've become conditioned to expect stuff to happen NOW.

Deliveries happen Just in Time (or not ). How is that going to happen if everything is going more slowly? A 5mph drop on an HGV covering a decent distance may be significant. A 5 hour journey will leave the load 25 miles and roughly half an hour short of its destination. This means more driver hours, more cost etc. etc. Might that be offset by the reduction in fuel costs as less of it is being used?

There's very little that I actually need NOW and with a bit of planning that can probably be reduced but what about businesses?

Do garages hold enough spares to do whatever job is booked in? Or do they look at it first thing, then order the bits - which arrive very soon afterwards and then fit them?

Maybe folks will have to get used to waiting or do some planning or revise their "Just in Time" timings.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 29th September 2021 at 10:01..
AndyN01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 09:50   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
So if this speed control measure is so effective, lets put it to the test, lets make law that from now on ALL cabinet ministers will be required to be driven at no more than 55mph at all times, that includes everyone, lets do it for a month, anyone caught speeding will have to resign, here we are a democracy in action. Lets see how environmentally friendly this is.

It could be argued that the reduced congestion and speed is needed so our ruling classes can go past from A to B unimpeded, even if only to Barnard castle to test eyesight, or discuss financial strategy and perform yoga with the attractive associate.

Despite being a strong proponent of equality and equivalence of opportunity for all, I do feel that we peasants have to accept the reality of life. This is that the ruling classes and the top 2% to 3% of citizens will always enjoy priviledges which we, the 95% percenters, will not. It is and will always be the way of the world.

If one is a short, pink, four legged, animal with pointy ears, why not make the most of life by revelling in the slurry?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote