Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th June 2017, 15:50   #1
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Default Bonnet Jammed shut

I know there is supposed to be a security issue regarding information to open bonnet, but on cars this age is it needed?

I found afte refitting front end and bumper the bonnet wouldnt open the lever inside the car went slack but bonnet moved a few millimetres on one side.I have tried the bump bonnet method, and accessed the splitter box the ususal way, separated the two cables but nothing happens even with a measurable amount of force.I can only assume the cable/cables have come out ot the location in the latches.Is there anyone who can pm/email me how to open with the least amount of damage please?
Completed, Pcv filter,viton rings,rear,springs,discs,pads,shoes & shocks.Plenum guard,alternator.Headlamp refurb.rear exhaust.all filters alternator & belts,o/s control arm,windows /mirror controls sorted.2 door cards realigned.rear bulb holder, Wipers,Revotec fan condenser,silicon hoses.Lower rear engine mount
Tony
tony062622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 17:27   #2
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony062622 View Post
I know there is supposed to be a security issue regarding information to open bonnet, but on cars this age is it needed?

I found afte refitting front end and bumper the bonnet wouldnt open the lever inside the car went slack but bonnet moved a few millimetres on one side.I have tried the bump bonnet method, and accessed the splitter box the ususal way, separated the two cables but nothing happens even with a measurable amount of force.I can only assume the cable/cables have come out ot the location in the latches.Is there anyone who can pm/email me how to open with the least amount of damage please?
Tony

PM a mod and they will send you the how to instructions.

And once you get it opne, then I would strongly suggest that you loosen the two bolts on each bonnet catches.

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 19:13   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Are you trying to pull the outer cables or inner cables that lead to the latches, you need to pull the inner.
Was at a meet today and Chris from Fareham came to a chaps rescue and managed to open the bonnet this way.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 20:02   #4
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Are you trying to pull the outer cables or inner cables that lead to the latches, you need to pull the inner.
Was at a meet today and Chris from Fareham came to a chaps rescue and managed to open the bonnet this way.

macafee2
I disconnected both the cables from the splitter box and was pulling with the pliers holding the nipple on the inner not the outer sleeve, I had left the latches slightly loose when refitting everything, what I belief has happened is the cable has slipped into the slot down between the two halves of the latch assembly so no amount of tugging will work.I have contacted a mod and will resume tomorrow.At present the bonnet has moved only enough to get a 12 inch steel rule between bonnet and bumper.
Completed, Pcv filter,viton rings,rear,springs,discs,pads,shoes & shocks.Plenum guard,alternator.Headlamp refurb.rear exhaust.all filters alternator & belts,o/s control arm,windows /mirror controls sorted.2 door cards realigned.rear bulb holder, Wipers,Revotec fan condenser,silicon hoses.Lower rear engine mount
Tony
Old 11th June 2017, 20:19   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I think your only option now is to get the hacksaw out & cut the bonnet pins Sorry, but can't think of another less distructive way
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 20:23   #6
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I think your only option now is to get the hacksaw out & cut the bonnet pins Sorry, but can't think of another less distructive way

Have one other option before resorting to that fingers crossed.
Tony
Old 12th June 2017, 19:40   #7
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Default The never ending saga.

Following on from fitting revotec fan,condenser and silicon hoses, Friday, I recommenced Sunday to free jammed bonnet.Got alsorts of info from various members and also a mod. Unfortunately I had tried all recommendations,yesterday and so gave up.
This morning attacked it again and using a bit of info from here and a bit from there, managed to free nearside.Then started to saw o/s bonnet pin when I had a thought, so after a cuppa tried something else and low and behold o/s popped.Once it was open found the nylon/plastic spacer on the cable at the latch end had broken so presume that was stopping latch lever operating,and I found the latch bolts a tad to tight.So I decided now got this far would double check revotec fan as all the front needed to come off to replace cable and latch,as I appeared to only have high speed.everything seemed ok but still only high speed, so moved relay box up to a new home next to the battery.
Went to Mg car Spares to source latch cable and bonnet pin.Refitted and all hunky dory.
Since read a thread from Arctic from work he has done on a members car today so will use that info tomorrow re low speed as it will be easy checking relay now.

Again thanks to Bob, Arctic, Harry and others for there input yesterday.
Tony

Last edited by tony062622; 12th June 2017 at 20:06..