Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2021, 11:28   #1
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default High line with BM24 amp issues

Hi all,

I've been having a wierd issue with my radio lately I had upgraded my amp to the BMW bm24 one a few months ago and all was good up until recently. The issue is that if I start the car in the morning there is no sound coming out of speakes the radio light comes on I can see all the stations fine. Now the weird part of the problem is that if I simply just barely wiggle the plug going to the amp the sound comes back on and I will have sound for the rest of the day just fine. I did remove the amp checked for water damage it was all dry no signs of any water I also did clean out the plug and made sure it was locked in properly but to no avail. Any ideas what could be the issue here ?
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2021, 16:36   #2
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
Hi all,

I've been having a wierd issue with my radio lately I had upgraded my amp to the BMW bm24 one a few months ago and all was good up until recently. The issue is that if I start the car in the morning there is no sound coming out of speakes the radio light comes on I can see all the stations fine. Now the weird part of the problem is that if I simply just barely wiggle the plug going to the amp the sound comes back on and I will have sound for the rest of the day just fine. I did remove the amp checked for water damage it was all dry no signs of any water I also did clean out the plug and made sure it was locked in properly but to no avail. Any ideas what could be the issue here ?
The BM24 does suffer from dry/cracked solder joints in the amplifier section, it may need resoldering after removing all the lead free NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-, use a good leaded 60/40 or 63/37 RA fluxed solder.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2021, 18:47   #3
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
The BM24 does suffer from dry/cracked solder joints in the amplifier section, it may need resoldering after removing all the lead free NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-, use a good leaded 60/40 or 63/37 RA fluxed solder.
Thank you Phil for your reply !

I'm editing my answer because you were absolutely right just took it apart today and on closer inspection it's the typical case of cracked solder joints. I'll get resoldered.
Cheers.
Thanos

Last edited by thanos.m; 1st May 2021 at 13:22..
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote