Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st July 2021, 12:01   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Thought I'd add an update. The car was, is a lot worse then I thought with a lot more broken and worn out parts. Managed to change a lot of parts with second hand parts but it still made a cheap car expensive. The body work having seen better days will never get this car to be predestine. Once clutch changed my heart sank driving it out of the garage as there was quite a knock, turned out to be the lower engine mount, easily solved.

It passed its mot first time and has continued to pass its mot first time. It is my hack car and in the last couple of months has been heavily used collecting stuff from people via freecycle for my daughter. It even came to my rescue when towing my caravan with my saloon the front brake seized on. Collected caravan with the tourer.

Moral of the story, buyer beware, trust no one. One fault not sorted, a leaking rear side window and a leak from goodness knows where

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 18th August 2021 at 07:00..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 23:26   #12
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Thanks for update. So 3 years on you still have the car and it’s going strong? What clutch / slave did you fit and has it covered many miles?

After 15 years of reliability with Rover 400/45’s, I’m just moved to a ZT V6 and I’m worried the new clutch slave will let me down after no time at all reading all the horror stories
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2021, 06:58   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
Thanks for update. So 3 years on you still have the car and it’s going strong? What clutch / slave did you fit and has it covered many miles?

After 15 years of reliability with Rover 400/45’s, I’m just moved to a ZT V6 and I’m worried the new clutch slave will let me down after no time at all reading all the horror stories
yes car still going strong. Borg and Beck clutch used. As for the slave, sorry I cannot recall. I don't think the clutch plates are a problem, the slaves are.
The new master failed at 11 months but was changed under warranty.
I have covered about 10,000 miles but I live in the countryside and not a town so mainly not stop start driving.
A clutch change should not be a horror story, I don't know about the V6 but on a diesel it is a DIY job for those good with a spanner. As for doing it in a few hours, goodness knows how, even in my wildest dreams it would take me days probably even weeks, not as young and agile as I used to be. Having to read the Haynes manual for every step probably does not help
IO have done a clutch change and chuffed that it all worked when it went back together. Would I want to do it again.... no. Would I do it again...... may be. Would I help someone to do theirs, yes

I am sorry I cannot put your mind at rest, hope for the best, expect the worst, budget for a clutch change and enjoy the car while all is good.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote