Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st June 2021, 18:44   #1
swifty62
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Hi-line Sat nav gremlins

Hi All,im having a problem with my BMW Hi-line sat nav, it was working perfectly on a journey, then half way through the journey,the screen went blank, with a message saying CD DVD disc not reading,i have checked for any water ingress,had the disc out, and cleaned it, i have checked fuses, and pushed the connections in and out,at the back of the CD unit, and it is still reading the same message, just hoping someone on here,will be able to help me out with this problem, its just so frustrating, thanks Ian.
swifty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 20:08   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty62 View Post
... with a message saying CD DVD disc not reading ...
It's probably the mechanical disc transport Ian.

Simon
Old 2nd June 2021, 21:08   #3
swifty62
Avid contributor

MG ZT

hi Simon, thanks for the reply, not to sure what that means, or how to fix it, sorry for being a bit stupid, but I’m not very clever, when it comes to electrics, would appreciate just a little bit more clarity, cheers Ian.
Old 3rd June 2021, 06:59   #4
SD1too

Hello Ian,

When you insert the disc you'll have heard the whirring of motors and the clatter of mechanical linkages. That's the disc transport conveying the CD or DVD (whichever you have) into a precise place so that the laser can read it. I must admit that errors here usually result in a "no disc" message and not what you've seen. Having said that I've had to replace the transport on my sat. nav. because it kept ejecting the disc. There was nothing wrong with the electronics. I've also had similar problems with home hi-fi and video equipment.

There's another possibility. You say you have a BMW system so is your installation modified?

Simon
Old 5th June 2021, 08:04   #5
swifty62
Avid contributor

MG ZT

hi Simon,thanks for the reply, no, the system has not been modified,to my knowledge as I said in the first post, it was working fine, on a journey I was doing, when suddenly the screen went blank, but I could still hear the instructions, and then when restarting the motor, it was silent, it was like a plug had come loose, somewhere,but I have checked, and all seems ok.
Old 5th June 2021, 08:27   #6
SD1too

OK, so you lost the video display on the monitor but the navigation was still working because you could hear the sound. Try looking at the connections at the back of the LCD screen (Bordmonitor).

Simon
Old 5th June 2021, 09:44   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty62 View Post
Hi All,im having a problem with my BMW Hi-line sat nav, it was working perfectly on a journey, then half way through the journey,the screen went blank, with a message saying CD DVD disc not reading,i have checked for any water ingress,had the disc out, and cleaned it, i have checked fuses, and pushed the connections in and out,at the back of the CD unit, and it is still reading the same message, just hoping someone on here,will be able to help me out with this problem, its just so frustrating, thanks Ian.
It sounds as if the reader unit is trying to load the CD but not 'seeing' it. Most likely cause is the tiny laser head unit has gone U/S (common, especially after what is at least 17 years service) - they don't like having the disc removed if the reader unit has not been shut-down correctly (you'll find a thread on here about how to do that) but it's of no use if the laser head has already been damaged!
If you are good with your hands/small mechanisms you can replace the laser head (might be worth trying to give yours a delicate clean which means stripping out the loader machanism....) but I found the correct 'old' replacement heads (I think they were made by Sanyo and were available for around £20) are obsolete and now very difficult to source.
Plenty of pre-loved sat. nav. CD readers (aka Mk3) on e-bay for not a lot of money (pot luck whether they are in good order or not and by definition they too will be long in the tooth) or you can upgrade to a BMW DVD reader (aka Mk4) which is plug/play but probably costing somewhere around +£100 for a decent one). Bang up to date compatible sat. nav. discs available for these off e-bay but if you still have the Rover Alpine 4x3 bordmonitor and boot mounted TV module fitted you'll not get the full DVD experience - but better than nothing.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2021, 10:37   #8
Howard81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

As others have said try cleaning the laser lens with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and lubricate the rails. It’s also worth trying a different disc to rule that out, as they can often go bad especially if you’re using a “home made” disc rather than a pressed one.

Failing that it’s likely the laser that’s gone bad. They can be replaced and I’ve successfully done this on a MKIV (DVD). It’s a bit fiddly and you need a steady hand with a soldering iron!
Howard81 is offline   Reply With Quote