Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th July 2021, 20:46   #1
Smith3712

MG ZT 190

Default Odd noise following VIS issues

Hi all,

I've owned my ZT+ 190 for around 5 months now and have bought a cable to start having a look with TOAF. Unfortunately, it came back with errors 1471,1473 & 1477 which are all VIS related. I suspected they weren't working but didn't know what to expect as my other car (Seat Leon Cupra) is quite a bit quicker so never noticed until recently when giving it a spirited drive & I couldn't pick out the performance change mentioned between 3000-4000rpm.

I removed both motors this afternoon and gave them a thorough clean as they were rather oiled. This didn't go as far as stripping the motors down as I lack some of the extra tools needed but they still have no life. I confirmed this by reconnecting them to the car (not fixing them in place) and running the tests via TOAF and neither motor moved.

I have ordered two replacement motors, but since reconnecting the old motors the car does sound slightly different. Most noticeably is when lifting off from say 4000rpm and as the car slows, it sounds like a fan slowing down along with the slightly different engine noise. I pulled over and disconnected the VIS motors (leaving them screwed in) but the noise persisted so I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on what this may be? Or if this is something that will be cured once the new motors are added? Any help would be appreciated.

Fantastic car though and I have ordered all sorts of goodies to get it back to factory fresh in the coming months!
Smith3712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 21:43   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Perhaps when you refitted the power ViS you didn't engage the peg with the sliding arm and now the butterflies within the manifold "flutter".

I hope you ordered the replacements from Stocktake on here otherwise even the new ones won't last very long.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2021, 07:37   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Calum and to the club.

Before fitting your replacement balance actuator, slide out the rectangular flap valve from the manifold chamber and try to move it by hand. Is it stiff or even stuck fast? You should need only a feather touch from one finger to move it from closed to open. Use some fine abrasive paper on the edge of the flap until it moves easily. Resistance here is the cause of actuator failure.

Check also that the power valve linkage moves easily from left to right without any vertical play when the actuator has been removed.

As vitesse says, get in touch with Dave (Stocktake) who can probably repair your faulty actuators.

Simon
Old 30th July 2021, 20:52   #4
Smith3712

MG ZT 190

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated!

My new motors have arrived and are now fitted and working. I didn't get them from stocktake as I didn't realise they were still being refurbished unfortunately but the new ones are provided with a warranty so I am happy.

Unfortunately, the bizarre "howling" noise is still present after this. It happened after removing the VIS motors and hasn't gone even with the new motors installed and fresh sealant applied. It isn't related to the engine I don't think as it starts around 20mph and this can happen even in neutral.

It is really loud and gets louder the quicker the road speed annoyingly.

I will hopefully be contacting a few local garages tomorrow to see if anyone is able to help!

Thanks for all your help though.
Smith3712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2021, 21:22   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Did you disturb the breather pipe when swapping the vid motors, incorrectly seated pipe can cause a similar sound.
Old 30th July 2021, 21:30   #6
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Rubber seal

Did the new ones come with new rubber seals or not? If not you need to swap over the okd ones.
Make sure they are seated correctly

Also what Trikey has suggested

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote