Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2023, 09:59   #1
strand1988
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default In need of some TLC...

So... this time last year my beloved Rover 75 was written off in a pretty major accident. Thankfully the car performed wonderfully and I escaped with only some bruising. I then spent the following 11 months working in the US.
Last week I collected my replacement 75, same colour and trim level expect this one is an auto. After getting the car home it seems that previous owners have had a field day with poor repairs and other nonsense (wood screws holding the rear lights in and a pretty bad diesel leak being my favorites!).

Now I know this is silly... but I cant think of another group of people who would understand how I'm feeling. Having spent 10+ years lovingly caring for my last 75 I'm really struggling to find the energy to do it all over again. It just doesn't feel the same... I know, I know its just a piece of metal, but as I look around this car and notice all the issues I find myself wanting to give up on it.

I'm interested to know if others have felt the same and how you got over it!
strand1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 11:37   #2
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

I hear you! I bought an MG ZT-T 190+ from a guy in Germany. He said he was an MG enthusiast and only wanted to sell to another enthusiast. I bought the car. After I had the car for a few weeks all sorts of problems started to unveil which hadn't shown up during a very detailed inspection. I will spare you all the sordid details but let's just say that Bernd's mechanic abused the car in about every aspect you can think of. I have literally spend thousands of pounds getting the car in pristine state but problems kept popping up. I eventually decided to sell the car. I hope you will be spared that continuous misery and enjoy the car after you have fixed those minor details you are experiencing.

Note: the new owner is very happy with the car and hasn't had a lot of maintenance since he bought it. So I must have done something right

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 15:39   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I understand. I think I'd feel the same, I've been spoilt with my car, I'm that please with it
Similar we moved house 18ish months ago.
The house looked quite nice when the first owners sold it, the people we bought it from have ruined it. Everything I look at is a bodge.
My wife does not want to spend the money putting it all right. It is not a nice feeling when everything to touch is so bad

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 15:49   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have had my 75 Diesel since March 2008, 15 years this March. Touch wood, I have not really had much trouble with it. ( Thats done it) I still enjoy doing things to it for maintaining it. Never gave a thought of getting rid of it. At 83 years old, still enjoy messing with either of my cars.
Do all the general maintenance of it. Don’t mind rolling about on the floor, but not this time of the year now.
Old 13th January 2023, 16:03   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I've not been in your situation but I can completely understand how you are feeling.If you can afford to do it I would cut your losses on the new one and wait for the 'right' one to come along.I waited over 3 years for the right one,luckily I had other transport in the mean time.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 19:20   #6
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Inheriting a load of bad workmanship in a used car purchase in very demoralising. The only thing I would say is that I find it quite rewarding undoing all the bodge jobs as carefully as I can so as not to cause further damage, and putting it back the way it was meant to be.

More often than not, with the help of members on here it's been better than standard.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 23:19   #7
CDT Player
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Maybe just use it as it is whilst keeping an eye out for a really nice one that takes your fancy, one that doesn't need work to bring it up to standard.
CDT Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 14:07   #8
strand1988
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks so much everyone! Really appreciate your replies. I’m going to stick with it, just need to start sourcing all the broken bits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strand1988 is offline   Reply With Quote