Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2019, 05:31   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default JLR - Castle Bromwich

JLR are, apparently, going to announce today a multimillion £ investment to prepare their Castle Bromwich plant for electric vehicle production.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 06:40   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48875406

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 09:04   #3
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
JLR are, apparently, going to announce today a multimillion £ investment to prepare their Castle Bromwich plant for electric vehicle production.

This is good news indeed.
Pity that it does not come near to the job losses already in the car and other companies in recent times.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 09:19   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
This is good news indeed.
Pity that it does not come near to the job losses already in the car and other companies in recent times.
Indeed - the move to new technologies always has costs. Both financial and social. The crazy rush to diesel due to dubious reasoning is coming home to roost.

JLR more susceptible to this than other manufacturers.

But good to see such investment none the less.
Old 5th July 2019, 12:00   #5
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Indeed - the move to new technologies always has costs. Both financial and social. The crazy rush to diesel due to dubious reasoning is coming home to roost.

JLR more susceptible to this than other manufacturers.

But good to see such investment none the less.

My Rover was Diesel and my current car is Diesel.
It wasn’t so long ago that the Government was actively encouraging drivers to move to Diesel, and now we are almost made out to be outcasts.
Most people have to hold unto their cars for a considerable period of time, as they generally can’t afford to change quickly.
But Governments can virtually change their minds overnight and expect people to comply .
Bazaar.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 13:56   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Yes good news indeed as their luxury diesel car sales in China have tanked as well as everywhere else.

I've been reading this morning that they're already being slated before they've even started on their XJ BEV for building only large cars like the i-pace instead of efficient sized vehicles

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 14:04   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
My Rover was Diesel and my current car is Diesel.
It wasn’t so long ago that the Government was actively encouraging drivers to move to Diesel, and now we are almost made out to be outcasts.
Most people have to hold unto their cars for a considerable period of time, as they generally can’t afford to change quickly.
But Governments can virtually change their minds overnight and expect people to comply .
Bazaar.
Even more bizarre is how car tax or RFL is still based upon CO2!!!

Whoever advised the government at the time that diesels where so worthy because they produced marginally less CO2 than other fuels such that they should have a tax advantage - was certainly ignorant of a) the vital role CO2 plays in Photosynthesis AND b) the danger to people’s health that was posed by diesel particulate emissions.

Sensible advice backed up by true scientific evidence from the likes of the LPG Association was ignored and instead an overblown doomsday scenario pushed by the likes of Caroline Lucas of the Green Party was believed and acted upon.

Why this happened is beyond me when whilst Lucas does have a PhD - it is in “Romantic Elizabethan Woman’s Literature”. So where was her “Scientific Credentials?”

Which given the situation you and I find ourselves in Steve - ie owning a diesel car because we were told it was the best option - kind of makes a bit more “sense” given the calibre of those doing the telling.....
Old 5th July 2019, 14:32   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Yes good news indeed as their luxury diesel car sales in China have tanked as well as everywhere else.

I've been reading this morning that they're already being slated before they've even started on their XJ BEV for building only large cars like the i-pace instead of efficient sized vehicles
But of course!! Those who make such stupid comments have obviously missed the fact that as a niche player JLR were hardly competitors in the Micro/Mini market

But how nice it would be to have a LR 4x4 powered by an electric motor in each wheel!! - the off-road capability of such an arrangement would be awesome.

Something to stick up the jack c of the ban the urban 4x4 brigade
Old 6th July 2019, 06:59   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I see JLR are going to be doing an in-house battery & drivetrain , that's great news.

they're also calling on government to pull their finger out and get a battery gigafactory built in the UK.
https://insideevs.com/news/358407/ja...0000-annually/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2019, 10:30   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I see JLR are going to be doing an in-house battery & drivetrain , that's great news.

they're also calling on government to pull their finger out and get a battery gigafactory built in the UK.
https://insideevs.com/news/358407/ja...0000-annually/
When I first saw that pic - I immediately thought of the slot car racers I used to build from brazing rod. We used to build a couple of chassis’s and could swap the car bodies from chassis to chassis.

I remember painting the clear plastic body shells on the inside and the cars looked fantastic as the clear plastic acted as a “lacquer” coat!

And now we have real life following a hobby I did in my early teens!!

- a common chassis with an electric motor where differing bodies can be attached.

Spooky