Notices

Old 6th July 2019, 12:08   #11
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
When I first saw that pic - I immediately thought of the slot car racers I used to build from brazing rod. We used to build a couple of chassis’s and could swap the car bodies from chassis to chassis.

I remember painting the clear plastic body shells on the inside and the cars looked fantastic as the clear plastic acted as a “lacquer” coat!

And now we have real life following a hobby I did in my early teens!!

- a common chassis with an electric motor where differing bodies can be attached.

Spooky

Oh yeah! I remember those and making those cotton-reel tanks out of empty cotton bobbins and elastic bands

Yeah a simple skateboard chassis with metalwork on top and that's it!!! not much the average spanner man could fettle on something like that.

I fear the job losses in car manufacturing and businesses that supply ICE parts are going to be massive everywhere. Even tool manufacturers like Snap-On will not escape as there is not much the lay person can do on them!

Lots of upheaval to come I fear.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2019, 15:17   #12
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Oh yeah! I remember those and making those cotton-reel tanks out of empty cotton bobbins and elastic bands

Yeah a simple skateboard chassis with metalwork on top and that's it!!! not much the average spanner man could fettle on something like that.

I fear the job losses in car manufacturing and businesses that supply ICE parts are going to be massive everywhere. Even tool manufacturers like Snap-On will not escape as there is not much the lay person can do on them!

Lots of upheaval to come I fear.
Indeed - when you think of pre ICE vehicle travel infrastructure which was around the horse - Staging Posts, Livery Yards, Farriers etc etc - it all went when the ICE became a reliable and effective alternative to the horse.

People in Towns and Cities celebrated because the ICE didn’t leave copious amounts of horse manure on our streets.

How’s that for irony!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2019, 16:20   #13
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Indeed - when you think of pre ICE vehicle travel infrastructure which was around the horse - Staging Posts, Livery Yards, Farriers etc etc - it all went when the ICE became a reliable and effective alternative to the horse.

People in Towns and Cities celebrated because the ICE didn’t leave copious amounts of horse manure on our streets.

How’s that for irony!
I wonder around that time how many people said the car couldn't possibly work. You'd have to have petrol stations, garages in every town, new roads etc. Yet within a generation the horse as a mode of transport was pretty much wiped out.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2019, 16:57   #14
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I wonder around that time how many people said the car couldn't possibly work. You'd have to have petrol stations, garages in every town, new roads etc. Yet within a generation the horse as a mode of transport was pretty much wiped out.
Apart from enthusiasts who loved riding a horse for what it was - not as a way to get from a to b.

So there is probably hope.
Old 6th July 2019, 17:13   #15
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Apart from enthusiasts who loved riding a horse for what it was - not as a way to get from a to b.

So there is probably hope.
That's why I said 'pretty much' they'll be always be minority groups for things as they move out of the mainstream. Look at those steam powered water pumps they have at country shows , still going well after they were stopped being used in industry.

Old 6th July 2019, 17:20   #16
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
It wasn’t so long ago that the Government was actively encouraging drivers to move to Diesel, and now we are almost made out to be outcasts.
Probably because the government is now losing money, due to the fact that diesels spend less time at the pumps, and so they generate less tax income.

Watch out for electricity prices to go higher once EVs catch on.
Old 6th July 2019, 17:27   #17
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Probably because the government is now losing money, due to the fact that diesels spend less time at the pumps, and so they generate less tax income.

Watch out for electricity prices to go higher once EVs catch on.
Certainly be something to think about, how do we replace the tax from petrol and diesel?

Old 6th July 2019, 18:36   #18
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Certainly be something to think about, how do we replace the tax from petrol and diesel?
Especially as with solar panels and battery storage becoming ever more efficient - could we see a day when our houses can go “off grid”?

And could we power our vehicles via these solar panels?

I understand that in Spain (ideal place to do this!) people were not connecting their solar panels into the grid and were therefore pretty much self sufficient. The Spanish Government become so concerned at the potential lack of revenue that they introduced a tax - the Sun Tax.

The latest government looks like it is to repeal this - but what a crazy situation!

A country where each home could easily become energy independent with nice clean energy and the Government says “oh no - we can’t have you doing that!”
Old 6th July 2019, 20:19   #19
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Especially as with solar panels and battery storage becoming ever more efficient - could we see a day when our houses can go “off grid”?

And could we power our vehicles via these solar panels?

I understand that in Spain (ideal place to do this!) people were not connecting their solar panels into the grid and were therefore pretty much self sufficient. The Spanish Government become so concerned at the potential lack of revenue that they introduced a tax - the Sun Tax.

The latest government looks like it is to repeal this - but what a crazy situation!

A country where each home could easily become energy independent with nice clean energy and the Government says “oh no - we can’t have you doing that!”

Yes I can imagine that, there used to be a window tax. Although we all want the things that taxes pay for. Well most of them most of the time.

Although how close could you become to total independence from the grid and live a fairly normal life?

Old 6th July 2019, 23:05   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I’m sorry, but all this c.r.a.p. About diesels gets my goat. All the ‘experts’ should be put in a room full of petrol fumes from a car, and I will go and stand in a room full of diesel fumes. I know who will come out of the room still alive. I worked in diesel fumes for around 40 odd years as a hgv driver. I am 80 this year. Been to more funerals than you can shake a stick at over the last 10 years. None were over 74. Non were lorry drivers. It’s a bit like ‘global warming’ ( Caused by us) Utter Rubbish. The best of it is, is that it can be disproved we have any effect on it. A bit like that common phenomenon Brexit, sorry for swearing, it’s going to be the end of the world. Yea, ok.