Default I Read This And Felt Sick....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...vings-benefits

Words truly fail me.
Old 16th July 2019, 12:06   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Along a similar vein happened to my grandmother. In her later years suffering from dementia, she had to live in a care home. Between her and my grandfather (who died 14 years previously) had a house (which was signed over to my father and uncle at the time of my grandfather's death) and about 50k of savings.

Despite years of pleading with her to spend and enjoy it, she continued to save. Until she went to the home. Because of the savings, she had to pay for the care. This in itself, I have no issue with. However, the unfair part of that in my view is, she got no benefit of her savings. The care she received was as good as the care others with no savings (which again I dont begrudge).

Apparently if she had spent the money 'rapidly' in the 7 years prior to her going into the home, the authorities would have pursued this. She paid her taxes and national insurance for this, yet was effectively taxed again. Even when she passed away, her savings were just slightly over the threshold and therefore was still paying til her death. The only positive if you could suggest one, was that she wasn't aware her savings were dwindling.

As far as the family and I heritence went,no one went without, however e everyone felt the same as me, she earned it, not us. It was hers for her benefit which she did not receive.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 12:06   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

why, because she is old or because she saved and has now had it taken away?

on the face of it, it seems wrong

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 15:11   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Yes, it's wrong, obscene, dreadful etc. but to change it you need to get to the people responsible for it and who have the power to change it.

Find the Law Makers (aka Politicians) who make the law and set the figures. And get them changed.

At the opposite end of the scale there's the big business paying a pittance in tax - that's wrong too but what they do is legal so it's the LAW that needs changing.

Andy.
AndyN01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 15:28   #5
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Along a similar vein happened to my grandmother. In her later years suffering from dementia, she had to live in a care home. Between her and my grandfather (who died 14 years previously) had a house (which was signed over to my father and uncle at the time of my grandfather's death) and about 50k of savings.

Despite years of pleading with her to spend and enjoy it, she continued to save. Until she went to the home. Because of the savings, she had to pay for the care. This in itself, I have no issue with. However, the unfair part of that in my view is, she got no benefit of her savings. The care she received was as good as the care others with no savings (which again I dont begrudge).

Apparently if she had spent the money 'rapidly' in the 7 years prior to her going into the home, the authorities would have pursued this. She paid her taxes and national insurance for this, yet was effectively taxed again. Even when she passed away, her savings were just slightly over the threshold and therefore was still paying til her death. The only positive if you could suggest one, was that she wasn't aware her savings were dwindling.

As far as the family and I heritence went,no one went without, however e everyone felt the same as me, she earned it, not us. It was hers for her benefit which she did not receive.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
We encountered the same in our mother's time of need after her life of work and graft which began at the age of 14 for both her and my father. No benefits during their full working lives and no school meals for any of there 3 kids. Just a strong work ethic which saw her hold down a number of jobs at times just to make ends meet. A life of work, grind, scrimping and saving and of paying taxes and contributions only to be treated as a cash cow near the very end of her life by an over bloated sector of little empires.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 16:09   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Many thanks - I had not seen this - how appalling.

Let’s hope it gets the publicity it deserves now the MSM have got hold of it!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 16:19   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Yes, it's wrong, obscene, dreadful etc. but to change it you need to get to the people responsible for it and who have the power to change it.

Find the Law Makers (aka Politicians) who make the law and set the figures. And get them changed.

At the opposite end of the scale there's the big business paying a pittance in tax - that's wrong too but what they do is legal so it's the LAW that needs changing.

Andy.
The rules are based on what used to be - not what we deal with now.

The rules are something like this - but I haven’t checked them out for years so things may have changed a bit.

Savings between £6000 and £16000 start affecting certain benefits. Over £16000 all of it is assessed - between £6000 and £16000 it is on a sliding scale.

Over £16000 each £250 is deemed to generate £4.30(?) of income and this is reduced from the benefit amount. Pro rata between £6k and £16k.

It’s archaic and is often viciously applied.

This system has been in existence for decades - and all governments of all colours have gone along with it.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 16:38   #8
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

i think that you can have up to 6000 savings without having any benefits stopped anything over 16000 you wont be able to collect any benefits except pip ( personnel independent payment) as this is not means tested rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 16:46   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

We are not encouraged to be careful or save any more, just spend,spend,spend on all the useless tat to put money in the pockets of the shareholders of the big businesses. None of my family (close and distant) have ever taken a penny in benefits and all dad's savings and property went to pay for his care in later years. The guy in the room next to dad, never worked a day in his life and got his care for free! They even paid for his funeral in the end!
Old 16th July 2019, 22:40   #10
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

The rules look very complicated, but I expect that they have been deliberately written that way so people fall into the trap !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote