Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th September 2019, 20:14   #1
Siestaman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Fan belt tensioner

My vehicle is a Rover 75, 2003, CDT, manual, lhd, diesel. I am living on the Costa Blanca, spain.

I had both belts replaced and I think my fitter forgot the tensioner was retained by a left hand thread.

After picking up my car, the next day I was turning left and there was a serious rattling noise (like road stones hitting the chassis)followed by a clunk. I looked under the bonnet and the main belt seems to be moving across the lower pulley. My interpretation is that the tensioner was not secured owing to the fitter forgetting it was retained by a left hand thread bolt. He is a fitter not a mechanic.

There doesn't appear to be any noises and the belts seem intact. No warning lights are lit up. At this time. Maybe tensioner has fell off.

Anyone got a spare tensioner to sell me?
Siestaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 22:10   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The bolt is left handed, but he wouldn't have undone it when releasing the tension - it is a left hand bolt so that it tightens in the direction you are pulling the tensioner to release the tension.

Can you post up a photo? Worth taking the belt back off and checking for play in any of the pulleys, and that the crank pulley hasn't failed.

I had the belt slide off when the water pump pulley collapsed, but there were no noises before it happened.

I wouldn't be buying anything unless you are sure exactly what the fault is.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 10:43   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestaman View Post
I had both belts replaced and I think my fitter forgot the tensioner was retained by a left hand thread.

That seems very implausible to me. Are you sure about LH thread mounting bolts?

It's more likely that the tensioner or jockey bearing has collapsed.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 12th September 2019 at 10:45..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 18:36   #4
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestaman View Post
My vehicle is a Rover 75, 2003, CDT, manual, lhd, diesel. I am living on the Costa Blanca, spain.

After picking up my car, the next day I was turning left and there was a serious rattling noise (like road stones hitting the chassis)followed by a clunk. I looked under the bonnet and the main belt seems to be moving across the lower pulley. My interpretation is that the tensioner was not secured owing to the fitter forgetting it was retained by a left hand thread bolt. He is a fitter not a mechanic.

There doesn't appear to be any noises and the belts seem intact. No warning lights are lit up. At this time. Maybe tensioner has fell off.

Anyone got a spare tensioner to sell me?
If the tensioner pulley bolt had come off so would the pulley and the belt certainly wouldn't be secure, if its loosened then the pulley would be running misaligned which would cause the misalignment or as T Cut says bearing collapsing. But what caused the rattle and clunk? Have you looked in the engine undertray (if you still have one) for any clues. Interesting that it happened when you were turning, do closely inspect the power steering pulley.

I have just packed a tensioner pulley and bolt in my spares box, I am driving down through Spain next week but unfortunately a long way west from you, now if my mate was still living in Jalon it would be a different story.
Is the tensioner arrangement specific to Rover or is it not shared with BMW??

Good luck
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 20:03   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If the bolt was loose then the fitter couldn't have released the tensioner to fit the new belt, as the nut would have turned and the tension remained the same - had this when trying to change one of my belts.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote