Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th April 2013, 13:10   #21
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post
If they are directional, that is, cannot be swapped from side to side and having an arrow on the side-wall indicating the rotational direction; probably with a chevron type of tread pattern, they will be noisier. Block pattern, non directional treads are quieter and give a less harsh ride. As has been said, all tyres become noisier as they wear, purely because there is less depth of rubber.

Roverite.
I don't think you mentioned the wheel/tyre size. 15" & 16" will give the best and quietest ride. Larger diameter wheels have a lower profile tyre, so that the overall rolling radius is the same.Therefore, there is less flexibility in the tyre walls, because of the lower profile; they give better roadholding, but it is a trade-off for the quality of ride.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 13:14   #22
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Don't rule out a wheel bearing on it's way out.
Agreed, also, ensure the tyre pressures are correct, and get the alignment of the wheels checked and corrected accordingly. A tyre running even slightly on it's side wall will be noticeably louder than one running correctly on it's central contact patch.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 13:39   #23
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyandy1966 View Post
if you look at black circles the cheaper tyres 205/65/15 v are a lower noise rating that the most expensive !
All tyres are a compromise if you buy a very low noise tyre it will most likely have poor grip and economy unless you buy top of the market ie conti or Michelin or some Goodyear or Dunlop
Also noise is expressed in decibels so 70 compared to 74 is almost half the noise? Someone can explain this better than I!
I have a ZT so tyre choice biased away from noise the premium tyres for me are not only alarmingly expensive but invariably noisy! We don't worry!
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 13:39   #24
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

The tyres I have at the moment are 205 65 15 fitted on Crown alloys.

My previous 75 1.8 had 16 in Union alloys fitted with Sunny tyres that "hummed" at 30/40 mph on some surfaces but were quiet after that.

I will check out Camskills when I replace them - it just seems so much easier to use someone like Blackcircles who are generally competitive and you can pick the depot where you want to have them fitted.

It seems that whether tyres are noisy or not is a bit of a lottery when choosing cheaper brands.

boater
boater is offline   Reply With Quote