Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th January 2017, 11:44   #271
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Lovely shots there Jeff of the frosty morning.

Looking at the ice on the surface of the water, maybe an ice breaker would be handy to have.

But it's good that you are using your boat and not just in the warmer weather.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 18:48   #272
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Coolcat

I have just picked up on this thread again and see that you "jumped ship" from the Broom 32 to the Shetland.

I think you have made a good choice - maintenance should be minimal on the Shetland which means more time enjoying the broads experience. Cleaning and polishing can be fitted in without too much trouble!

Spares for the Yamaha are very expensive but all you should need for some years is the usual oil and filter changes. Don't skimp on this do it at least once a year or every 100 hours or so if you have an hour meter fitted.

Although we sold our boat last September, we haven't lost the Broads bug and have already booked to hire "Humber Bridge" from Bridgecraft at Acle starting May 6th.

Happy boating
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 19:59   #273
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Hi Coolcat

I have just picked up on this thread again and see that you "jumped ship" from the Broom 32 to the Shetland.

I think you have made a good choice - maintenance should be minimal on the Shetland which means more time enjoying the broads experience. Cleaning and polishing can be fitted in without too much trouble!

Spares for the Yamaha are very expensive but all you should need for some years is the usual oil and filter changes. Don't skimp on this do it at least once a year or every 100 hours or so if you have an hour meter fitted.

Although we sold our boat last September, we haven't lost the Broads bug and have already booked to hire "Humber Bridge" from Bridgecraft at Acle starting May 6th.

Happy boating
Evening Sir,

The long term plan would be for a newer Broom in the future, when we feel like much longer stays on board and coastal exploring are on the cards.

The engine on the Shetland is a Yanmar not a Yamaha by the way

We will certainly have the boat serviced every year.
We won't be skimping on maintenance

When you come down to the Bridge in May be sure to give us a shout and we can say hello, maybe get a beer or lunch in at the Bridge Inn
Old 29th January 2017, 10:27   #274
coolcat
This is my second home

Lovely morning with no frost so we are going to get out on the water

Old 29th January 2017, 20:00   #275
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Jeff

Sorry about the typo - i did mean to put Yanmar!

We moored our boat on the south side at a mooring owned by Norfolk Yacht Agency. As you will probably know they have a sales area at Brundall and also Horning. They are mainly sea going cruisers at Brundall and people who buy from them can join in their Cruise in Company programme. If you are not aware this takes the form of around 6 seperate cruises to destinations like Wells on the North Norfolk Coast, Southwold and Ipswitch to the south and also St Katherines Dock in London. These cruises are all planned by James Fraser, MD of NYA and gives inexperienced cruisers the chance to join in and have the back-up of experienced people and marine engineers on the journey.

You can see details of this on the NYA website and may be something to think of when planning for the future.

Thanks for the invite, we will keep a look out when we come to Norfolk in May.

Howard
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 08:14   #276
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Hi Jeff

Sorry about the typo - i did mean to put Yanmar!

We moored our boat on the south side at a mooring owned by Norfolk Yacht Agency. As you will probably know they have a sales area at Brundall and also Horning. They are mainly sea going cruisers at Brundall and people who buy from them can join in their Cruise in Company programme. If you are not aware this takes the form of around 6 seperate cruises to destinations like Wells on the North Norfolk Coast, Southwold and Ipswitch to the south and also St Katherines Dock in London. These cruises are all planned by James Fraser, MD of NYA and gives inexperienced cruisers the chance to join in and have the back-up of experienced people and marine engineers on the journey.

You can see details of this on the NYA website and may be something to think of when planning for the future.

Thanks for the invite, we will keep a look out when we come to Norfolk in May.

Howard
Morning Howard,

I have watched some of their YouTube videos of those organised group coastal runs and it seems a very good idea to help peeps gain confidence.
It is certainly something similar I would very much consider when the time comes.

I doubt we will be taking our current boat (although it is the correct category) out on to coastal waters and would be more likely in the future if we buy a bigger boat such as a Broom.
Will be a long time before doing so though, for the moment whilst we are very much enjoying the Broads the Shetland seems very much the correct choice to have made

Not sure if you are aware but our mooring is at Acle Marina which is just round the corner from the Acle bridge, so not far to go when you come down in May
Old 12th February 2017, 08:49   #277
coolcat
This is my second home

Missing the boat.
Didn't go up this weekend as the weather isn't great, not so much for the boating but more the drive to and from the Broads.

Looks like the weather is improving mid week so hopefully will be up next weekend
Old 12th February 2017, 10:44   #278
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Missing the boat.
Didn't go up this weekend as the weather isn't great, not so much for the boating but more the drive to and from the Broads.

Looks like the weather is improving mid week so hopefully will be up next weekend
That's a shame, have you had some snow?
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 17:56   #279
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
That's a shame, have you had some snow?
Only a sprinkling but it was very damp and miserable yesterday, much better today though
Old 19th February 2017, 08:18   #280
coolcat
This is my second home

Morning all.......

IMG_2377 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Shaping up to be a good day out on the water