Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th February 2017, 18:47   #11
QuestionMark
Regular poster

LHD Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Conn auto 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
You can buy pre-drilled galvanised strapping at builders merchants. Ideal for exhaust bracketing.
How does it hold up over time? I was told it wasn't a very good idea for a permanent solution, but maybe it is
QuestionMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 10:42   #12
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that question as well! My car's exhaust bracket needs to be replaced and I happen to have a lot of that galvanised strapping lying in the garage unused.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 10:55   #13
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

The wrap around bracket on my after market rear silencer broke but it was the underside part that had snapped. I just obtained some treaded bar that would take a 13 mm A/F nut and trimmed the old bracket and drilled an extra hole in one side . Then it was a case of cut and bend to a flattened U shape and bolt up and being treaded it was easy to adjust to fit.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 10:55   #14
wmick
Avid contributor

R75 Club Tourer CDT

When mine bust about three years ago, I bodged up a new bottom run support with heavy gauge fencing wire bent so that I could get a bolt through one end to tighten it all up and a hook the other end to go over the remains of the top bit of bracket.

3 MoT tests later, it's still there and the tester raises his eyebrow but it's not a fail!

When the same thing happened to the other car 18 months ago, I used a doubled strip of stainless steel builders band from Screwfix and pulled the same bodge.

Again, no complaints from the tester!

Mick

Last edited by wmick; 8th March 2017 at 10:57..
wmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 10:59   #15
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
Hi,

My car's exhaust box bracket snapped the other day... I wasn't even driving (luckily) Rimmerbros specifically state that their bracket assembly isn't suitable for aftermarket exhausts, but I don't know if mine's original or not. It probably is, but how to be sure? Any labels are long gone.

Also wondering how to know if the exhaust system in general needs replacing? There are no visible holes or anything, but it seems quite rusty.

Cheers

Edit: Here's the bracket in question.
Don't know if it will be of any use, but I also have a 2003 Diesel 2.0CDti tourer,it had a new complete Klarius exhaust fitted last September, but I am changing it all in two weeks time...
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 11:32   #16
QuestionMark
Regular poster

LHD Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Conn auto 2002

Here's what I did:

I strapped a piece of galvanised strapping around the box and tightened it with a bolt. Visually, there were quite many gaps, and they proved difficult to smooth out. But the strapping wouldn't budge, so I left it at that. I took a piece of wire, 4 mm in diametre, and wrapped it twice around the box ontop of the strapping. The strapping doesn't hold any of the weight, it's there to slow down the rust to the wires, and more importantly it'll hopefully prevent the wires from gnawing their way through the rusty pot by distributing the weight over a larger surface.

I made eyes out of the ends of the wire, and fastened them with a double wire lock with thread lock, and a piece of washer fluid hose on the wire to protect the rubber mounting. There's quite a lot of measuring going on throughout this process, but it's also fairly straight forward.

The nice thing about this system is that you can lower and hoist the box as you please (although it requires a little bit of work), and you never need to take your rubber mountings off again! It's cheap as well!

So far, which admittedly isn't long, this has been working excellently for me. In time we'll see if it holds up.

I bent the sides of the galvanised strapping to make sure the wires wouldn't jump off. It seems to have worked, but in hindsight I think I would've used som small jubilee clips or something. It probably overthought it, and made some unnecessary work for myself.

My only concern now with this setup is that it isn't stiffed between the box and the rubber mountings. Maybe you guys can weigh in on whether you think the exhaust box might snap in half from the bumping?

Cheers!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_131340.jpg (132.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_134123.jpg (128.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_161721.jpg (132.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_142026.jpg (132.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_192649.jpg (130.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_192847.jpg (130.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_192806.jpg (135.3 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Dragrad; 10th March 2017 at 00:29.. Reason: Thumbnails enlarged
QuestionMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 02:22   #17
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Posts merged and thumbnails enlaged to aid the viewing

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...