Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th August 2017, 18:52   #1
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Road Tax When Changing Owners

Hi can anyone clarify the position on road tax when buying a vehicle.

My recent purchase was made on 24th August and I decided to wait to tax it on 1st September. Then I thought well is it ok to use anyway as the previous owner has taxed it and will not get any refund for the remaning days in August. So - can I use it or not?
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 18:53   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Hi can anyone clarify the position on road tax when buying a vehicle.

My recent purchase was made on 24th August and I decided to wait to tax it on 1st September. Then I thought well is it ok to use anyway as the previous owner has taxed it and will not get any refund for the remaning days in August. So - can I use it or not?
no... you have to tax from day one of ownership...
Old 28th August 2017, 18:59   #3
Southside
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Regardless of how long the previous owner taxed it for as soon as the dvla receive the v5 back they will cancel any remaining tax. If done online that would be instantly, if previous owner sent it by post you may get an extra couple of days.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 19:23   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

further to what Klarzy said. If the portions of V5 have been returned to the DVLA dated with 24th August, and you wish to use it straight away, you will have to tax it from the 1st of August. The previous owner, if they have paid in advance for tax, they will receive a refund for the remaining full months. ie from September onwards. Govt. get a double month of tax.

However, if you can refrain from using it, (or you wish to take a chance on not being spotted - not condoning this!)you can SORN it straight away, and then tax it on the 1st of September. Doing it this way, the govt only get 7 days of tax (24th - 31st Aug) unnecessarily, and you dont get stung for 24 days worth.

It has been discussed not only on this forum, but on many other forums and elsewhere. If they use a computer network to obtain the tax from you, when you either retax the car, or purchase the car, then surely they can take a payment for a part month! to claim it is for administration reasons, I find laughable (I was told this by phone) since,

1. it is unfair to some car owners (different values of tax)
2. there is minimal administration if any at all, when the keeper is the one doing the administrating!!!

tax = VED

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 19:43   #5
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the replies, I know now what I should have done - will try and sort it with dvla.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 19:51   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Thanks for the replies, I know now what I should have done - will try and sort it with dvla.
Don't bother trying to deal with DVLA, just tax it from the first of September as you intended to do all along.

I drove around for three weeks blissfully unaware the car I was driving was "untaxed" due to the ineptitude of the cogs in Swansea

It sticks in the craw that the government are being paid twice for the same month, and especially so close to the end of the month......go on be a rebel, the chances of being copped for this are remote to say the least

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 07:23   #7
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

The other snag to watch for is: I sold a car on ebay a few months back..it was taxed but the buyer didn't turn up to collect the car until past the end of the month I had it taxed, so at the last minute I sorn the car..when he did turn up we tried to tax on line and it wouldn't work.

It turns out that if a car is SORN the new owner can not tax on line until 5 days after the sorn date..but, he/she can do it at a post office.

Everyone is trying to avoid the extra months tax naturally, why should we pay twice and enrich further the dvla.

When I bought my rover the guy changed the ownership on line the day before I collected it and the day before the months tax ran out, that was good as now I could tax the car on line but, I paid a full months tax for 1 day..

If you also transfer ownership on line the new owner get's a v5 in days super quick and you don't run the risk that the dvla clowns mess things up and fine you for it.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 08:47   #8
Southside
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post

If you also transfer ownership on line the new owner get's a v5 in days super quick and you don't run the risk that the dvla clowns mess things up and fine you for it.
Yea the new online change of ownership system is a lot better/safer.

A few times in the past I've sent v5's back to the dvla by post only to receive fines weeks, months and even years later and dvla telling me they never received the v5 and must have got lost in the post.

Atleast online you get an instant email thanking you for submitting it so no claims from the dvla in the future that they never received the new details.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 13:03   #9
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Don't know if you guys heard the story about the truck driver renewing his HGV, DVLA sent him a motor bike license..in the end apparently he had to re take the test,,
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 13:47   #10
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Suspect urban myth there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
lt sticks in the craw that the government are being paid twice for the same month, and especially so close to the end of the month......go on be a rebel, the chances of being copped for this are remote to say the least
I couldn't agree more. I taxed my 75 at the start of the month after the date l bought my 75, which was about a week before the month's end. No problemo.

I'm a great fan of the mantra, "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 29th August 2017 at 13:54..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote