Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st September 2017, 17:34   #1
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default KV6 2.5 Spark Plug Life?

Hi

My newly acquired 75 has covered 31K and I am not sure if the plugs have ever been changed. What is the expected life - should I change them anyway?

I know the back 3 are difficult to do but have seen the how to's so should be able to do the job ok.

Also starting the car is very different to the diesel 75 that I owned previously. The diesel would hardly turn over before firing either hot or cold but the 2.5 flys over very fast for 3/4 seconds before firing. Is this normal?
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 18:47   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

60k or 4 years is in the book as when they should be changed. I change mine on mileage

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:05   #3
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Last time I had it apart for the obligatory thermostat housing change (non-keyhole method) I also changed the plugs for iridium-tipped jobs which ought to outlive both me and the car. Doing it this way the rear three are easy but, strangely, unless you have the right length plug extension it can snag on the slam panel and make the front three more aggro then they should be.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:25   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
... starting the car is very different to the diesel 75 that I owned previously. The diesel would hardly turn over before firing either hot or cold but the 2.5 flys over very fast for 3/4 seconds before firing. Is this normal?
Yes it is Howard. The compression ratio of a Diesel engine is much higher so more difficult to turn over.

No, don't change your sparking plugs. They'll be absolutely fine.

Don't forget to update your profile. It still says that your car is a diesel.

Simon
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:27   #5
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks Simon, have done an update
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:12   #6
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Hi

My newly acquired 75 has covered 31K and I am not sure if the plugs have ever been changed. What is the expected life - should I change them anyway?

I know the back 3 are difficult to do but have seen the how to's so should be able to do the job ok.

Also starting the car is very different to the diesel 75 that I owned previously. The diesel would hardly turn over before firing either hot or cold but the 2.5 flys over very fast for 3/4 seconds before firing. Is this normal?

Ah Spark plugs! Back in the 1980s Champion, NGK, Bosh all recommended that their plugs should be changed every 12,000 miles in the late 1990s these companies changed their information to 18,000 in the case of Champion and 24,000 in the case of NGK and Bosh. I have not seen any change to these recommendations. I am aware that many car companies have changed their recommendations on plug life. Make up your own mind when you need to change your spark plugs. Find out what make and type of spark plugs are in your car. Contact the plug manufacturer and ask them when they recommend you change their spark plugs.
Brings back the old Ford joke when they extended the service intervals of their cars to 12,000 miles. After the first eighteen months this the service book was rewritten to include the front brake discs and pads,
Not rocket science the old manual had the pads and discs being changed at 18,000 miles. Did they really think they could stretch this to 24,000 with no change of the parts being put on the car!
Or were they just hoping that most of the cars would be having them changed at 24 months regardless of mileage as that would be the major service and the average car would have done less than the 18,000 miles these items were designed to last.
On that subject motor oil has become a much more durable product during the passed forty years. Your car engine can now work 4 times harder before you need to change the oil.
If you believe that engine oil has become so much better over the passed 40 years. Could you please tell me how I have been using Castrol Syntron no longer available and or Mobile one since the seventies. Mobile One fully synthetic 0w40 I have used it in all cars that I have owned and worked on and I still change it every ten thousand miles. Oil is only as good as the filter in the system with the actual cost of the average filter being under a pound work it out for your self.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 17:43   #7
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

My 190 v6 plugs were probably original at 40k, they have now done 130k, 90k of that on lpg, still there....
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 19:50   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
My 190 v6 plugs were probably original at 40k, they have now done 130k....
Be careful Huw, you'll have MarinaBrian telling you that you are incompetent and that your engine will self destruct because you thought it out for yourself.

Simon
Old 6th September 2017, 12:01   #9
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

They must be making much better quality spark plugs these days to last as long as 130K..electrodes can break off and damage an engine..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote