Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2020, 19:02   #21
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

You need Chris Flanagan.
He also puts KV6s in MGFs and has also done many other conversions, rebuilds and also made an MG6 Auto
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 19:48   #22
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Buy a supercharged V8 ZTT and respray it in Typhoon.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 19:50   #23
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Keep it diesel Rick, twin turbo Perkins would fit the bill nicely..
Old 7th June 2020, 19:52   #24
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondhopkins View Post
Find a crashed tesla that has all its electrics and battery and motors and do a tesler zt-e. (yes I mean tesler)
Is that a cut and paste job, courtesy of Larry by any chance?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 19:55   #25
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I'll give you a hundred quid for yours then Bob, and I'll take the running gear out for Rick.......saves him an expensive paint job, and you subsidising the local petrol station.

It's a win win

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 20:08   #26
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Hey Rick.

What about buying a Monogram V8.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1168194

Or buying a V8 project to ' monogram '

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1221152

Having had yours made perfect, I would be worried about potential damage during all the work. If it were me, I'd keep yours as is and personalise a V8. Should you ever need to, I think it would make better financial sense regards resale.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 12:31   #27
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
I'm going to buck the trend and say "leave as is" . For me, one of the best things about your Typhoon is the very fact that is is a diesel.

It's not that I'm a particular lover of the diesels, I much prefer the V6 (well I would I guess ), but the simple fact that you've got this "hot" looking car, with an amazing looking engine bay and yet it's still pretty much "stock" is the cars USP. It's a great advert for what MG Rover were able to achieve with the ZT, as well your efforts as an owner.

I know in the past you have had folk (non MGR enthusiasts) ask what engine it has and they've been surprised to hear it's "just a diesel" and I personally would never get tired of that. A great example of what can be achieved with little more than hard work and some imagination . Proof that you don't need an exotic engine to have an exotic car .

That said, if you do go down the V8 route (or v6 for that matter), it would make a thoroughly interesting project, and one that would surely be avidly followed by plenty of the members here, myself included.

Good luck on whatever you decide,

Cliff
Cheers Cliff You are right in that it being a highly jazzed up diesel makes it quite unique. And it is good fun when people are trying to guess what engine it is even when the bonnet is open. The amount of people that have had a good look at the engine bay whilst the bonnet is open and claimed it was a v8

But I've always really fancied going some sort of big engine build project, for the experience more than anything. and my typhoon is getting on a bit with over 215k miles on the engine now, and I have had some repeated issues with the engine over the years. + who knows what restrictions they're going to put in place with diesels in years to come. This is a project I'm thinking of in 3-4 years time when I'm in a position to do it.

Just feel sticking something exotic under the bonnet will make it a real unique one off special car, hence why I'm thinking of sticking a different v8 in it rather than the 4.6 that was already used. Currently feeling more towards the more modern 5.0 v8 mustang engine used in the newer mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Hey Rick.

What about buying a Monogram V8.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1168194

Or buying a V8 project to ' monogram '

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1221152

Having had yours made perfect, I would be worried about potential damage during all the work. If it were me, I'd keep yours as is and personalise a V8. Should you ever need to, I think it would make better financial sense regards resale.
Going down that route the issue is cost. If I were to buy a v8 ZT I'd only go for the supercharged model like you have, and I'd want a saloon one. Now that ramps up costs straight away as realistically a good supercharged model goes for £12k+. Then I'd have to get the side skirts etc like I have on mine then a full respray I'd be looking at another £4-5k for a good job (3 litres of typhoon is just over £1k alone) and would be additional spray work to spray the underside of the bonnet, bood lid etc like the original monos. and then I end up with 2 typhoons.

So to buy a supercharged ZT and get it looking near identical to my diesel typhoon spec wise etc I'd be going over £20k easy. Buying a standard ZT and getting it supercharged myself would work out even more expensive.

the 5.0 v8 mustang engine, gearbox etc seems to be obtainable between £5k-£9k. Just reading up on the 5.0 it's apparently based off of the architecture of the 4.6L and 5.4L Modular V8’s. Apparently the engine had to remain close to the same physical size of the outgoing 4.6L, and share other specifications with it such as bore spacing, deck height, bell housing bolt pattern, etc. in order for the engine to utilize existing Modular production line tooling. So sounds like it's a similar size engine to the 4.6 already used in the ZT.

The 5.0 produces 420hp and that's without any supercharging.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 13:45   #28
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

To keep things simple I'd look towards the vag 2.0 tfsi engine using their manual box.

220bhp out of the box, loads of tuning options, loads of ecu options like launch control etc etc.

Biggest issue would be wiring obviously, however unquestionably for me if you where going to keep it front wheel drive and wanted to go petrol thsts the engine to go with all day long.

If you kept it diesel one of the v6 audi fwd engines like the 3.0 v6 which are 195bhp as standard, and again using their box etc would be a great fit.

Personally as the car is a monogram I wouldn't. They are going to be the cars worth the most in the future and will be show winning classic cars just in standard spec alone.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 14:20   #29
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
To keep things simple I'd look towards the vag 2.0 tfsi engine using their manual box.

220bhp out of the box, loads of tuning options, loads of ecu options like launch control etc etc.

Biggest issue would be wiring obviously, however unquestionably for me if you where going to keep it front wheel drive and wanted to go petrol thsts the engine to go with all day long.

If you kept it diesel one of the v6 audi fwd engines like the 3.0 v6 which are 195bhp as standard, and again using their box etc would be a great fit.

Personally as the car is a monogram I wouldn't. They are going to be the cars worth the most in the future and will be show winning classic cars just in standard spec alone.
That's some good engine options there!

You're right that monograms will be worth most in the future, along with launch spec cars and jap spec cars, or cars with personaline interiors. But I don't think the diesel ones will ever be worth much or sought after. And my typhoon is a diesel, and a high mileage one too. If it was a v6 I would be leaving it alone.

I think the only engine swap that would increase it's value is if I stuck a big v8 in it. Anything else would most likely not help it's value at all. Not that I'm worried about values as I'd never sell it. The reason for thinking of doing it is I'd like to turn it into a all round impressive classic show car.

There's many examples of classic cars that were converted with the rover v8 engine and hold their value well, in some cases going for more due to having a v8 in them
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 18:22   #30
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A good time of thumb that I have always found when engine swapping is..

Have your budget, then prepare to double it, you won’t be far off by the time it’s all done.