Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st August 2020, 04:47   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default DIY or garage job?

Well it’s happened again, half way to work and the clutch has gone! Managed to get to a lay-by and now sat waiting for the AA. How difficult is a clutch? Is it something that could be done at home on the drive way or am I best taking it to a garage?
It went back in 2013, and I didn’t have a drive, or the time, to do it myself, so got someone off here to do it. But I don’t think he’s on here anymore, and I do at least have a drive way to do it on now.

Typically it’s a bank holiday so I can’t even phone anyone about it today to get some quotes. I’ll have to book tomorrow off as I haven’t got time to get alternative transport sorted in time.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 07:12   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

It is a DIY job for the brave with tools and somewhere to work.
You need to check around the master cylinder for a leak and under the bell housing for a leak. If none found remove the master cylinder cap and "condom" and check if there is fluid in there. There wont be a lot. If you are "lucky" it could be an internal seal in the master that is allowing fluid to by-pass the seal and remain in the master cylinder instead of being forced down the hydraulic pipe.

A Haynes manual is of great help, any questions, come and ask.

I did a clutch change in 2018

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 07:31   #3
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Long term, ditch the condom and replace with a suitable size O ring in the cap. Change the fluid at least every two years (I use Gunson's Eezi Bleed). I'm sure it pays dividend's for seal life.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 07:41   #4
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Go lift two bags of coal. If you can't do that sitting on the ground then forget it. It's awkward enough on a ramp on a diesel, a 1.8 has more room but honestly. If you can't comfortably shift and lift 40 kg sitting flat or leaning forward then forget about it.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 08:26   #5
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I'll tackle most things but this is one I'm likely to leave to folks that know the what's and how's given that it's a well known issue.

There's loads of threads on "how to" if you fancy some Bank Holiday reading .

It's a bit of a trek but these might be useful to chat to:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=306856

Not even managed to get across for a cuppa yet but maybe worth a look.

Or

http://www.lates600.com/

From their web site they offer a recovery service which will be useful .

Or

Terry at TS Autos - he was in Stourbridge but I think he's moved. I haven't got his contact details but there's a few on here who have if you ask.

And Trikey over to the East of course.

I've not used any of the above - yet - but they are regularly mentioned in despatches .

I'm sure others will chip in with possible solutions.

Good luck with her.

Andy

Last edited by AndyN01; 31st August 2020 at 09:22..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 10:37   #6
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
It is a DIY job for the brave with tools and somewhere to work.
You need to check around the master cylinder for a leak and under the bell housing for a leak. If none found remove the master cylinder cap and "condom" and check if there is fluid in there. There wont be a lot. If you are "lucky" it could be an internal seal in the master that is allowing fluid to by-pass the seal and remain in the master cylinder instead of being forced down the hydraulic pipe.

A Haynes manual is of great help, any questions, come and ask.

I did a clutch change in 2018

macafee2
Pretty sure its not the master, that was replaced a couple of years ago for the metal one from Tazu. I had to bleed the clutch end of last year, it's been fine then until a couple of weeks ago, when I had to bleed it again, so was prepared for it to go soon. The fluid coming out of it was black. No sign of fluid on the carpet by the pedals, but the fluid has been going somewhere.

I've got a Haynes manual somewhere, but not seen it since we moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbie View Post
Long term, ditch the condom and replace with a suitable size O ring in the cap. Change the fluid at least every two years (I use Gunson's Eezi Bleed). I'm sure it pays dividend's for seal life.
Whats the thinking behind getting rid of the rubber bit? Changing the fluid seems reasonable, but does the guns fit? I've got 1 but never tried it on the clutch as it looked like access would mean it wouldn't fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
Go lift two bags of coal. If you can't do that sitting on the ground then forget it. It's awkward enough on a ramp on a diesel, a 1.8 has more room but honestly. If you can't comfortably shift and lift 40 kg sitting flat or leaning forward then forget about it.
I lift bags of powders at work, 25kg each, I can just about lift 2 bags from waist height and carry them to the mixer. Not sure about lifting while sat on the floor though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I'll tackle most things but this is one I'm likely to leave to folks that know the what's and how's given that it's a well known issue.

There's loads of threads on "how to" if you fancy some Bank Holiday reading .

It's a bit of a trek but these might be useful to chat to:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=306856

Not even managed to get across for a cuppa yet but maybe worth a look.

Or

http://www.lates600.com/

From their web site they offer a recovery service which will be useful .

Or

Terry at TS Autos - he was in Stourbridge but I think he's moved. I haven't got his contact details but there's a few on here who have if you ask.

And Trikey over to the East of course.

I've not used any of the above - yet - but they are regularly mentioned in despatches .

I'm sure others will chip in with possible solutions.

Good luck with her.

Andy
Thanks, I am in 2 minds about this, I think I'll have to get some quotes and then decide. I'd like to use a trader from here, but I don't have the time or money to have the car transported to them for repair, so will have to get some quotes from local garages. Either ones that will collect, or might be able to get my wife to tow me there late in the evening when no traffic is around. Unfortunately for me the car is my daily transport, and I've not even got either of the bikes on the road yet this year. Will have to get a bike tested tomorrow to get my through the week.
Old 31st August 2020, 13:28   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

move the sub frame and or bell housing on a trolly jack or some chip board with wheels attached.

If fluid is black could that be a seal failing? I assume you are having to top the fluid up.
You may be able to top it up enough to drive it somewhere

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 13:57   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
move the sub frame and or bell housing on a trolly jack or some chip board with wheels attached.

If fluid is black could that be a seal failing? I assume you are having to top the fluid up.
You may be able to top it up enough to drive it somewhere

macafee2
I assume the black is from a failing seal, yes. When I bled it up last year it was a nice clutch again, back like when it was new. But the 2nd time, the week before last, it bled to a working state, but not very good. I might be able to bleed it to go to a local garage but I'd rather not risk it.

I've been in touch with a trader on here who can collect the car and fit the new clutch for a reasonable price. I was going to tax insure and MOT my bike for work, but I can hire a car for £80 so I've done that. Lucky I got a bonus this month!