Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2021, 22:06   #11
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Yup did this on my dizzle , as I didn't believe the hype, I didn't remove the sump but after pumping out , barely got anything out the drain plug ..

so they seem to work pretty well.

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just out of interest, has anyone used one of theses devices, pela or such like, and when finished, took the sump off, and seen how much oil and gunk is left in there?
Just interested because after draining the sump on my montego many years ago, I took the sump off and the sump was clean as a whistle, actually shiny.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 23:46   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Thanks Chris for that bit of info.
Don’t like to admit it, but starting to think about getting one myself now I am getting a bit long in the tooth. This year tho, the time I used to have to do an oil change for the mot February, has now changed to around late May early June because of running the KV6 instead of the diesel. So it will be a bit warmer, I hope.
Old 26th February 2021, 06:55   #13
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
I'm looking into getting one of these pumps to change the engine oil via the dip stick instead of the sump drain plug.
If any members have one of these pumps I'd love to hear your comments and tips on which to buy or not to buy.

I thought I would have a bash at retyping my message of yesterday I have on that I use it works very well on both our car though ours are from the Bavarian Engine works ie M47R diesels. I found the pump takes about 20 seconds to prime up then it pumps for about 3 to 4 minutes solid pumping then draws a mixture of oil and air for about 30 seconds.
I pump with the car on the level and connect my pump to my usb charged 12 volt power booster pack. though nothing to stop you connecting to the cars battery. I have a 10 liter opaque plastic drum which I pump into before emptying it at the local garages space heater. My drum is marked off on the outside with black sharpy a line for Low Level dip stick oil change and High Level dip stick oil change. There is a red line for ATF Jatco Auto Box.
I have always found it removes down to the last 10ml so no worries about it leaving vast amounts in the sump.

The only problem I encountered was the pumps hoses coming off their spigots. This resulted me in putting small hose clips on the hoses and wrapping the spigots with PTFE tape to help the seal. it does a great job no mucking about under the car. I then fill up my 10 liter pouring Jug with oil from my big Drum of Mobile 1 Diesel I have it marked off with Black sharpie where the engine full mark should be for the M47R, again an opaque container. Every third oil change she is made up with a mix of slick fifty 750ml and engine oil.
I have found that being born in the forties makes crawling about under the car a difficult task and this little pump does a great job.
Some how I ended up with two of these pumps both exactly the same. If you want I can happily send you the spare unit all I need would be the address you would like it sent to as it is just taking up space.
My wife tells me we are downsizing this year which causes me a problem as I took delivery of the last of the parts for the restoration of the spice tourer last Saturday. My task on Monday is to fabricate the replacement exhaust from the sheet 304 stainless and the 304 stainless pipe. that will also finish off the box of 316 stainless steel welding rods I must remember to put them in the oven before use as they are a bit past there sell by date and that will bring them back to as good as new. It will take me until September to finish off the cars rebuild for this year this should catch exhaust full braking system from master cylinder to nipple. and the full suspension system and steering system. also replacing the inner wing liners and the car engine tray. This will have the effect of reducing the full pile of items most of which are boxed from the garage.

If you would like my spare pump to suck your oil up from your dip stick drop me a pm happy to send it to you once I find it garage left about 4 feet in from door my brain says behind sandstone door cards. Let me know If you would like it.
alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2021, 06:40   #14
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
I'm looking into getting one of these pumps to change the engine oil via the dip stick instead of the sump drain plug.
If any members have one of these pumps I'd love to hear your comments and tips on which to buy or not to buy.
https://youtu.be/6kXC4gE_8bA

I bought one of these 2019 ish. I have extensive damage to my back from being a teenager playing rugby. At times I can't even stand more than a 45 degree upwards and it will get worse beyond my 40s. So something like this seemed like a good idea, as when I "hurt" my back regularly it leaves me stranded.

Small video of me using it on my 75 diesel lhd car. Its slow, I'd say it would be ideal to connect, and leave it as you do the oil filter / fuel filter / cabin filter and by that time it would be done.

Id say it took 8/9 minutes to empty my diesel, and as it was my first time a bit of trial and error figuring out the best way to get the best angle in the sump.

I've since used it to replace manual gear box oil, and it saves a huge amount of messing about and spilling.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2021, 17:45   #15
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Alan you have a pm.
Old 28th February 2021, 08:21   #16
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

After a bit of research I have another question for members.
Which type of pump would be best.
The electric one or a vacuum one.
Price isn't an issue.
Old 28th February 2021, 20:46   #17
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I need one to change the supercharger oil on the Bear. The drain plug is inaccessible, so the oil has to come out the top. Can you get different size tubes?
I changed the supercharger oil (rather expensive if I remember correctly, american stuff....??) when I owned the car Bob. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but I didn't suck it out.

Think I may have cut up an old oil container to use as a 'guide shute' and collected the waste oil lower down. I'm sure the instructions were in with all the paperwork for the car ?

It doesn't hold much from memory, which makes the job much easier.
Old 28th February 2021, 22:24   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Loved my Pela for years, too, but must admit it isn't that quick and takes a fair bit of pumping to keep the vacuum up.
Missed the Lidl ones. What sort of price were they and what's the problem with priming them?
I can't understand the remarks about the Lidl pumps. ( 0.2 of a litre per minute.----7 litres of oil in a diesel. ) They are super SLOW and will take a lot out of your battery.

I've used a Pela pump for years now and it does a perfect job.---I wouldn't be without it.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 22:46   #19
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
I changed the supercharger oil (rather expensive if I remember correctly, american stuff....??) when I owned the car Bob. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but I didn't suck it out.

Think I may have cut up an old oil container to use as a 'guide shute' and collected the waste oil lower down. I'm sure the instructions were in with all the paperwork for the car ?

It doesn't hold much from memory, which makes the job much easier.
I read up on the way to drain the oil from the supercharger but I went a different route.

I changed the oil on the supercharger today by using a simple device. I took the pump/spray gun off off a bottle of Elbow Grease. Cleaned it through then inserted the tube from the gun into the s/c through the refill tube, and using the trigger I was able to drain the s/c into a cup. Once out I then refilled the s/c with fresh oil. The car was parked on level ground the whole time.

The s/c oil was last changed in June 2019 or 7,500 miles ago.

(I did post a photo over on Facebook)

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 17:52   #20
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

How long does it take to empty the sump with the electric pump?