Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2021, 21:28   #41
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with electric vehicles? They make sense to the manufacturers, who wish to sell us a new £30k/£40k/£100k+ vehicle but make no sense to the vast majority of users who don't want to sit for 30 minutes "filling up" after 150 miles and don't have off-road parking to recharge overnight. Induction charging is not going to happen in my lifetime and the idea of pulling up to a charging point and swapping an empty battery for a fully charged one will not happen unless EVERY car builder uses exactly the same technology (Anybody remember VHS and Betamax or, God forbid, Video2000?). And that isn't even to mention the devastation of large tracts of Mexico / Australia / Canada / Zimbabwe etc.

On the other hand take your existing ICE vehicle, spend a couple of grand converting it to run on hydrogen. You can fill up in 5 minutes at a conventional filling station (much like LPG I'm sure Shell would be happy to install a few extra pumps) and just about the only thing that comes out of the exhaust is water. Unlike the rare metals (20mg for every kg of the earth that is mined means a BIG hole) hydrogen is not exactly in short supply.

I repeat - please explain.......
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 22:08   #42
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

The year is approx 1910..............

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with horseless carriages?
They make sense to the manufacturers, who wish to sell us new expensive vehicles but make no sense to the vast majority of users who just want to sit on faster horses...............

Wake up people - the sole ice is dying out and will be replaced, in stages with Hybrid, plug-in Hybrid, Electric Vehicles or Hydrogen.
It’s happening now - but will take time to fully evolve.

Just my opinion of course, but deep down most people realise this is going to happen.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 10:07   #43
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
The year is approx 1910..............

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with horseless carriages?

Yes you can travel far greater distances in far better comfort far more quickly. Of course technology moves on, but they had electric cars in 1910 as well and they didn't catch on due to the limited range. Things have improved, but they still lag behind internal combustion engines. My old Rover can do 600 miles on a full tank, and after a couple of minutes filling up can do the same again.

There is a difference between people choosing which type of car to drive and being told which type of car they can drive.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 12:24   #44
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Nice idea for some, no local emissions, cheap to run etc but we all know that any battery will need replacing after a while:

Local green bloke bought a really ugly BMW electric thing about 7 years ago. Now with reduced effect the battery needed changing. Paid £30,000 when new, cost of a new replacement battery … £20,800. The article never said whether he decided to replace the battery or buy a new car. (https://blogg.vk.se/naturen/2021/02/...-7-ar-250-000/).

Now if 7 years is the approximately lifetime of a cheaper electric vehicle's battery (not Tesla) and some, like us, drive 20 year old cars, then 3 x £20,800 is not going to be very popular. Or do we scrap them after 7 years?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 12:29   #45
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post

Just my opinion of course, but deep down most people realise this is going to happen.
I don't dispute for 1 minute the need to move away from fossil fuels, I just can't see why EV, with all of the inherent infrastructure (personal and public) problems is seen as the magic bullet.

Nobody seems willing to explain why the hydrogen option, which is literally all around us, is not Govt's preferred option.

Split water, using solar electric, burn hydrogen to produce water, split water to ......... basically you are running your vehicle on solar power (a bit like growing grass to feed your horse LOL)
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 13:06   #46
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Both types of vehicle use up the earth’s ever diminishing resources, and cause more pollution by being built in the first place. They only kick the can down the road. The sooner we realise this the better. It’s ok though because the badge stuck on the back of my new EV says no emissions therefore it must be the case. Consumerism needs to stop and it begins with us buying less rubbish from Amazon/China, make do and mend.

Not an exhaustive list, as this is quickly what I can think of.

Hydrogen
Steel
Aluminium
Copper
Fossil fuel
Lead
Chemical nasties during manufacture of electronic components

EV
Slave labour
Mining open cast
Steel
Aluminium
lithium
Manganese
Cobalt, now trawling deep sea to establish supply chain supply
Copper
Lead
Fossil fuel
Chemical nasties during manufacture of electronic components

Last edited by Lovel; 1st March 2021 at 13:13..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 15:59   #47
Cantray
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8 Club SE, Rover 75 cdt Club, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Article in Grauniad today

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-electric-cars

some slightly confusing arguments about resources used to actually power the things, but consensus seems to be less energy use over lifetime than ICEs
Cantray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 17:52   #48
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

My immediate thought was who sponsored the study .

He who pays the piper........

Like so many things these days trying to find the real facts from the spin and slant is difficult at best.

I could, of course, be completely off course and electric is the best way forward but only time will show the reality.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 18:24   #49
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

I don’t really care what happens down the road,, when my 75 engine goes pop ill just have it electrified!!! Been done already and with great results.

Long journeys,, ill take the train and use my Senior railcard when it arrives. Cheaper and safer in the long run.

Chill out guys,, we cant change the future but we can enjoy the present.!!!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 09:17   #50
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Volvo Cars to go fully electric by 2030
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56245618

Volvo's chief technology officer, Henrik Green, said the company needed to switch focus: "There is no long-term future for cars with an internal combustion engine."
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote