Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th April 2021, 08:23   #11
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
The AK90 has a socket that you push directly onto the main chip. You have the fun of having to scrape all the lacquer off the pins first

Reading over K line is much easier, but the AK90 should be able to dump it.

One of my mates bought an AK90 for doing an E46 key, it read it, but wouldn't write and wouldn't write a transponder. He ended up bringing the EWS to me to do it properly
Yes reading over the K line would be much easier, I've realised I've also got the BMW scanner program somewhere which I haven't used since Toaf arrived. I think Big Russ' Plan B sounds best at the moment as I have no idea what further damage the owner has done.

Don't need the AK90 to write chips, just need it to read them, then my friend in Bergen can take over.

The T4 has now got a good layer of insulating dust on it ...

Keep well
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2021, 13:15   #12
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

An update. Thanks to BigRuss’ plan B (and input from others) we found a local soldering expert who has transferred the chip onto a spare EWS module I had. The car now communicates and the owner has discovered the car has chimes.

But the ungrateful car still won’t run, coughs, splutters, so nearly there. Tested fuel pressure, very good at nearly 4 bar, good spark on all four cleaned plugs. And now for the strange part: he removed a spark plug to test for a spark, and it ran - refitted the spark plug and no joy. Ideas?

Regards
Old 27th April 2021, 15:02   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I wonder if there is a bad connection/broken wire on the low tension side of the coil you removed, or a short on the high tension side - these engines run with a wasted spark so a failure of one coil will knock out two cylinders.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2021, 15:15   #14
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks I'll pass your thoughts on to the owner
Old 1st May 2021, 10:04   #15
langlais

mg zt

Hello, I bought the AK90 kit, this kit is mainly made for BMW and Range Rover L322, for Rover 75 it cannot read the keys on the EWS 3, has someone already tried?
Have a lovely day everybody
langlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2021, 20:10   #16
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Might as well continue with this thread as it’s the same car and still not running. The owner has swopped coil packs but no improvement, and is running out of ideas. In an act of desperation we transported my very unreliable T4 across town and hooked it up and the thing worked! Well, got the usual wrong cable warning about 6 times, but eventually read faults, including cycling the ignition on & off - something I’ve never seen before. But I wanted to erase all stored errors and start afresh but how?

So I disconnected the T4 and went back to the ultra reliable Toaf, erased all, and re-connected the T4. Again, wrong lead messages, close down, start again, seemed happier when not using resume but entering the VIN again. This list, and quite some list, is what T4 reported. Tomorrow’s plan is to borrow the throttle potentiometer from one of my V6 spares and try if it will now start. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

But how do you erase stored errors using a T4?

Keep well,

Old 4th May 2021, 21:35   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Press the DIAGNOSE button and then you get the option to clear the faults.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2021, 21:46   #18
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Simple, thanks. Guess I'm spoilt using Toaf as it gives the option to delete errors on the first page.

Lots to learn ...
Old 5th May 2021, 01:26   #19
VikingMG
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T, R75 1.8T Tourer,R75 2,5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by langlais View Post
Hello, I bought the AK90 kit, this kit is mainly made for BMW and Range Rover L322, for Rover 75 it cannot read the keys on the EWS 3, has someone already tried?
Have a lovely day everybody
You can pull the bin code from the EWS3 in R75/MGZT with AK90..
VikingMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 07:56   #20
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
This list, and quite some list, is what T4 reported. Tomorrow’s plan is to borrow the throttle potentiometer from one of my V6 spares and try if it will now start. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Looks like there's a power supply problem to the sensors

Don't worry about the unknown fault code you'll never get rid of that, all 1.8's have it.
The misfire causing potential catalytic converter damage is down to the tuning file and can be resolved by downloading the latest tune to the ECM if you have DST00006V

T4 is very user friendly and a lot easier to use than a lot of other dealer level diagnostics and usually clears fault codes without much fuss if the problems have been resolved.
Unlike the Volvo diagnostics for example that require you to start the car rev to 1500 revs turn, off then restart and run at idle for 20 seconds before it will clear faults

Anyway back to T4 as Mike says press diagnose and then explore faults tab and it will give you a list of possible causes including a list of wiring and connector numbers that you can cross reference with Rave

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote