Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2021, 11:03   #1
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

Default First time time ever, CDT start issue

For the first time ever since getting a CDT, tried starting this morning, car unlocked fine, key in, then absolutely nothing, not a click or anything. Came back later and interior light came on, bonnet up to check the battery isolator switch was tight. It was and battery indicator on green.
Tried key in ignition and a noise came from the CD changer in glovebox, then display came on, glow plugs symbol on then off and engine started no problem. I have a voltmeter in the cigarette socket and that displays 14.4, so guess the battery is OK.
However, a few days ago when switching engine off, I could then hear lots of CD whirring noises from the autochanger. I know it works, but never use it and have never heard any noise from it before since 2014 when the car was bought and 45,000 miles later.
I've reviewed previous posts re starting problems, but none seem to be quite like this. Any starting issues worry me as they usually happen at the most awkward time, so any thoughts I'd be pleased to hear. Thanks, Ray.
Old 8th May 2021, 11:53   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Never worked on a diesel but on a petrol my first call would be the spade terminal on the starter, sometimes gets corroded. 2nd guess would be the solenoid on the starter, replaced on just about every 75 I've had.

If the CD changer annoys you and you never use it, then disconnect it.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 23:06   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
For the first time ever since getting a CDT, tried starting this morning, car unlocked fine, key in, then absolutely nothing, not a click or anything. Came back later and interior light came on, bonnet up to check the battery isolator switch was tight. It was and battery indicator on green.
Tried key in ignition and a noise came from the CD changer in glovebox, then display came on, glow plugs symbol on then off and engine started no problem. I have a voltmeter in the cigarette socket and that displays 14.4, so guess the battery is OK.
However, a few days ago when switching engine off, I could then hear lots of CD whirring noises from the autochanger. I know it works, but never use it and have never heard any noise from it before since 2014 when the car was bought and 45,000 miles later.
I've reviewed previous posts re starting problems, but none seem to be quite like this. Any starting issues worry me as they usually happen at the most awkward time, so any thoughts I'd be pleased to hear. Thanks, Ray.
Cigarette socket.--No use checking there if the engine is running because all you'll be checking is the alternator output.-- Won't tell you much about your battery.---The battery GREEN indicator is only in ONE cell.--You could have one of the other cells dead.

Check the battery after leaving the engine off for half an hour.--Should read about 12.6 volts if the battery is in good condition. If the reading is down near 12 volts your battery is on the way out.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 00:58   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Starter motor as above clean the spade end. Then I would lol and changing the plunger and connectors in the starter.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote