Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2021, 15:09   #21
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

I finally got my TOAF fully functioning on my laptop today. I am using a KKL cable with pins 7 and 8 bridged. I was originally sold an identical cable by the same seller, but "unbridged". It barely worked at all, despite being described as fully TOAF compatible!

Anyway, I am trying to find out why my ABS is very patchy. On startup, the ABS light comes on, then shortly afterwards, makes some ABS type noises, and goes off. Sometimes it stays off for about a mile, then I get a whistling noise, and it comes back on. My garage, on the advice of a pricey generic reader, changed the offside rear sensor first, and then the offside rear hub. In both cases, the ABS light went out for a short time, then returned. My friendly AA Man kindly plugged in his very advanced reader, and the faults are still showing as 5): Faulty offside rear speed sensor or inlet valve and 24): Incorrect gear wheel on offside rear, wrong number of teeth. This is echoed by TOAF on Windows 10, except that it does not specify which hub is faulty.

My question is: why are these faults not being shown on the Android TOAF, using the same cable, and could these faults be something deeper, like an ABS inlet valve, as suggested.

I have acquired a double ended blue plug/socket rig, and I will try swopping the connector from the nearside twisted pair to the the offside connection. If the fault transfers over, then the hub/ sensor must be faulty. If not, I will have to dig deeper!

Any advice, please?

Last edited by davidbooker; 31st May 2021 at 17:43..
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2021, 16:40   #22
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbooker View Post
I finally got my TOAF fully functioning on my laptop today. I am using a KKL cable with pins 7 and 8 bridged. I was originally sold an identical cable by the same seller, but "unbridged". It barely worked at all, despite being described as fully TOAF compatible!

What's the difference between a KKL cable like yours and a BMW one like this one sold by the same seller?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182960148...Cclp%3A2334524

• This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2021, 17:34   #23
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

Wish I knew! He described the wrong KKL cable as TOAF compatible, but clearly it is not. I also purchased one of the switchable INPA cables elsewhere much more cheaply, and that also works fine.

Last edited by davidbooker; 31st May 2021 at 17:47..
Old 31st May 2021, 20:32   #24
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hmm. I bought a VAG KKL cable (and joined 7/8 myself) and it works nicely with TOAF on my MacBook.

I bought a USB OTG adaptor and tried TOAF Android on my tablet. Doesn't work.

I wonder if the other adaptor has a different USB to RS232 chip which TOAF or Android doesn't like?
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 05:31   #25
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

Everything works on my two Android phones, apart from the ABS fault codes. I have ordered a different make of otg adaptor, let's hope this works. As a matter of interest, has anybody been able to pull ABS fault codes on Android? All the other modules appear to function correctly, and can be tested, report errors, etc.

Last edited by davidbooker; 1st June 2021 at 06:12..
Old 1st June 2021, 14:37   #26
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
Hmm. I bought a VAG KKL cable (and joined 7/8 myself) and it works nicely with TOAF on my MacBook.

I bought a USB OTG adaptor and tried TOAF Android on my tablet. Doesn't work.

I wonder if the other adaptor has a different USB to RS232 chip which TOAF or Android doesn't like?
Have you actually went into your settings and clicked "enabled otg" in your phone? Almost every time I get an android update it reverts back to off on my Samsungs.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 16:38   #27
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

On my Galaxy Note 8, it asks you whether you want to use the cable as an otg item. In any case, everything else works - I can even test the vis motors, and a plethora of other stuff, to see if they operate....incredible! It's just the ABS not presenting its faults on the page, which the Windows TOAF does admirably!
Old 1st June 2021, 19:07   #28
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Must be a software issue as I'm able to see one on my 02 ztt v6 (early coil style incase it's ecu issue)
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 20:38   #29
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I cannot see anything in my settings. It is an Android 7 tablet, and according to a couple of free 'USB otg checker' apps, my device supports USB OTG. I wonder if Android 7 is considered too old by TOAF?
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2021, 04:49   #30
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbooker View Post
Everything works on my two Android phones, apart from the ABS fault codes. I have ordered a different make of otg adaptor, let's hope this works. As a matter of interest, has anybody been able to pull ABS fault codes on Android? All the other modules appear to function correctly, and can be tested, report errors, etc.
Is your car 2005 model? If so it should have different ABS module then previous models. In order to get it to be read by TOAF you need to download additional piece of software/file from TOAF site - problem is that works only for Windows operating system.
For Android OS that is completely different Operating System and it might be that original software was reprogrammed for Andriod but add-on for 2005 model ABS was not included for Android and because of that you cannot read it on Android.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote