Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th June 2021, 10:25   #1
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Talking The Eurosausage

BBC News - Brexit: What is the Northern Ireland Protocol and why does it affect sausages?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53724381

Party Games, Yes Minister.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0751812/

I wonder who the present Minister for Administrative Affairs is ?
Does he want to be PM ?
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 11:27   #2
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 12:40   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government
Indeed, but try putting a customs post at newry or dundalk (or any of the 100s of border roads) and then see the ruckas that follows lol.

Ireland dont want the border, because it would infringe their constitution, northern ireland do not want a border, because it would infringe on the good friday agreement. Britain cannot dump northern ireland onto ireland as it was agreed to 100 years ago, besides britain would be paying us off for at least 100 years (pensions, nhs, etc).

Personally I think the eu and ireland will have to deal with it themselves (smuggling patrols) on their side, and the uk on the north side. It is not as though eu countries try very hard to control the illegal immigrants and contraband to either ireland or britain from the eu mainland.

20 Years ago I would have been against a United ireland, now am.not so sure. 15% vat against 21%, no nhs (paying 50 quid to see the doctor? Mightnt be a bad idea though). My objections were always based upon financial considerations. The theft of the lands has since become a moot issue. The eu rationalisation allowed things to fall into the hands of ireland, that ni would have benefited more now because of it (roads for example). But this too has started to subside.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 9th June 2021 at 12:43..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 13:58   #4
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Just impose 300% tariff on any similar products entering GB from EU (including Eire)
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 14:44   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Just impose 300% tariff on any similar products entering GB from EU (including Eire)
How do you stop it being smuggled into the uk via ireland without a border/customs post?

I can remember going to my grandmothers to pick up meat parcels when i was young after she had 'smuggled' it through the checkpoint at newry. It is not a new concept, but the fact prevents a practical,logical and obvious solution (that is used in other countries).

The uk needs a trade deal to maintain a status quo, to make such smuggling unprofitable. This would.negate the need for a visible border, making all sides in both Irelands happy.
You put a border up, the Republicans dig up their arms and start again, youhave an irish sea border and the loyalists dig up theirs.

Old 9th June 2021, 15:55   #6
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Red face

I was trying to highlight, that 35+ years ago, a scriptwriter (and ex-civil-servant) wrote a wonderful farcical tale about politicians, the greasy gravy train, the EU and the mighty British Low Fat Offal Tube (sausage), and 35 years later, it all becomes TRUE.

I apologize for stirring up a hornet's nest.

Has the EU really shown itself up as the ultimate farce, for now trying to ban something, that before Brexit, was perfectly safe and acceptable ?

And worst of all, because of this farce, people will restart killing each other over it ?

Humans are unbelievable !

Last edited by MarkS; 9th June 2021 at 15:59..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 17:36   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Indeed, but try putting a customs post at newry or dundalk (or any of the 100s of border roads) and then see the ruckas that follows lol.

Ireland dont want the border, because it would infringe their constitution, northern ireland do not want a border, because it would infringe on the good friday agreement. Britain cannot dump northern ireland onto ireland as it was agreed to 100 years ago, besides britain would be paying us off for at least 100 years (pensions, nhs, etc).

Personally I think the eu and ireland will have to deal with it themselves (smuggling patrols) on their side, and the uk on the north side. It is not as though eu countries try very hard to control the illegal immigrants and contraband to either ireland or britain from the eu mainland.

20 Years ago I would have been against a United ireland, now am.not so sure. 15% vat against 21%, no nhs (paying 50 quid to see the doctor? Mightnt be a bad idea though). My objections were always based upon financial considerations. The theft of the lands has since become a moot issue. The eu rationalisation allowed things to fall into the hands of ireland, that ni would have benefited more now because of it (roads for example). But this too has started to subside.

just wondering if a border between northern and southern Ireland was put in place, would some Irish people go bombing property of other Irish people and will they go murdering other Irish people? If so, why, what have these other Irish people done that is so wrong?

Made me smile on the news, some chap saying Boris should flood Northern Ireland with sausages and let the EU choke on them.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 9th June 2021 at 18:12..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 18:31   #8
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

We wanted to leave because of the bureaucratic dictatorship of the Brussels elite, telling us what we could and could not do in our own country.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 18:47   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
just wondering if a border between northern and southern Ireland was put in place, would some Irish people go bombing property of other Irish people and will they go murdering other Irish people? If so, why, what have these other Irish people done that is so wrong?

Made me smile on the news, some chap saying Boris should flood Northern Ireland with sausages and let the EU choke on them.

macafee2
Yes, they do it without a border! Shoot them too. And do you know what is even better, they burn their OWN neighbourhoods too!!

They tried to blockade by setting fire to wheelie bins in their own areas (loyalist) two months ago, with the cover of 'no irish sea border' as their slogan. Am trying not to get annoyed by the ridiculousness and embarrassment of it - 'they' sent kids 10-16 out to barricade the place and throw bricks at the police.

'They' (loyalists) are using a 19 year old spokesperson to speak for the loyalist community on the ni protocol! He wasnt even a twinkle in his fathers eye when the good friday agreement was signed,never mind seen the troubles! Jeez, the whole situation in terms of the troubles is a joke, and is nothing to do with heritage or tradition, but to do with smuggling, drugs and money laundering.

The eu want the restrictions/anti smuggling defence, they can employ it. It is that simple. The eu are simply being petty and pathetic as they 'lost' a subservient member and cannot afford to kick out ireland. (I am a remainer by the way lol).

Imagine this, the United kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, that would be another solution lol.

We (north and south) will invade britain and take you land, make you pay rent on it, and pay tithes to our churches mwah ha ha......

Northern ireland makes the best sausages lol if you can, try a denny or cookstown sausage

Another thing the eu didnt think of, is where they will get their KFC from

Last edited by clf; 9th June 2021 at 18:49..
Old 9th June 2021, 19:50   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

The EU need to sort this. Moving goods around 'your own territory' should never be an issue. Those goods being 'smuggled' to the south, is not a UK problem, just as goods (or illegal immigrants) from an EU territory into UK is not an EU problem.

Due to the ROI's constitution, they cannot sort it themselves (with a hard border between north and south), at least not how the EU want or need it to. The EU want to restrict goods movement to the south, but as the south rely heavily on imports (and exports) to the UK, they will lose out, likely more (regarding import export) than if they themselves left the EU, unless the EU increases the handouts.

Port controls in ROI would be one solution, but that would go against the principles of the EU - just as the land border goes against the principles of the ROI constitution.

Perhaps if Scotland regained independence, and rejoined the EU, Northern Ireland could go independent, and sign up to the EU, then there will be a United State of Europe (cannot call it a united ireland, as the loyalist halfwits would have a kernaption) . England and Wales will be broke (they would have to buy out the Scottish and Northern Irish citizens national insurance promises and have a limited market place between Norway and Iceland), then they could come back to the EU as a third world country (as ROI once were relatively recently), get the handouts that once fed ROI, then everyone would be happy again.

Last edited by clf; 9th June 2021 at 19:52..