Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2021, 12:05   #1
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Default Worn front lower wishbone bush symptoms

Hi,
My 75 is more loose at the front end now and on poor roads the noise can be quite loud and car feels less stable than on smooth roads.
When driving it's as if it's lost its suppleness on bad roads.

I had a tourer before and I'm sure it was the front lower bushes that were worn.

Does that sound right before I order some?

Cheers
Ian
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2021, 12:14   #2
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

I check the rear bush by turning the steering until the tyre is poking out of the front of the wheel arch then grab the top of the tyre and attempt to push the wheel back into the arch. If it's split, you'll see a lot of movement. If that's okay then jack up the wheel and check for play by holding and pulling the wheel side to side at the 3 and 9o'clock position the at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and looking for worn ball joints and track rod ends. Other than that it could be a worn drop link.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2021, 12:26   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Usually a worn out bush shows itself by a bit of a clunk as you take up the drive. Not particularly noisy but you are aware of something a bit on the slack side in the mechanics.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2021, 12:41   #4
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
I check the rear bush by turning the steering until the tyre is poking out of the front of the wheel arch then grab the top of the tyre and attempt to push the wheel back into the arch. If it's split, you'll see a lot of movement. If that's okay then jack up the wheel and check for play by holding and pulling the wheel side to side at the 3 and 9o'clock position the at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and looking for worn ball joints and track rod ends. Other than that it could be a worn drop link.
Would any of these transmit road noise to the car?

As on smooth roads its quiet but on rough gravelly roads, noise and vibration in the cabin is very noticeable. It's as if its metal on metal or very hard unforgiving bushes.
Old 15th June 2021, 13:14   #5
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

When one of my rear bushes failed on the driver's side I got a clunk and some vibration though the floor when pulling away. My n/s ball joint failure caused a rattle on uneven surfaces and worn drop links make the same noise. All quick and easy to check. When I had a knocking drop link , I squirted some oil inside the rubber covers of the offending side and it stopped for a couple of days confirming the fault without dismantling.
Old 15th June 2021, 13:55   #6
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
When one of my rear bushes failed on the driver's side I got a clunk and some vibration though the floor when pulling away. My n/s ball joint failure caused a rattle on uneven surfaces and worn drop links make the same noise. All quick and easy to check. When I had a knocking drop link , I squirted some oil inside the rubber covers of the offending side and it stopped for a couple of days confirming the fault without dismantling.
Is that the ball joint on the wishbone?
Old 15th June 2021, 16:08   #7
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

I just oiled inside the rubber boots of the drop link ball joints to diagnose as they are more common for rattling , the wishbone to hub ball joint could be seen moving . Annoyingly the arm had only been changed by a garage 16 months previously and had done 11,000 miles and as it was cash in hand they wouldn't replace for free so I did it myself. The inner ball joint to subframe is a bit harder to check unless you use a pry bar I believe.

It would probably take you less than 10 mins a side to diagnose
Old 15th June 2021, 18:32   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I've read that once the rear bush fails, you can jack up the front and physically push the road wheel forwards a with your foot. When mine went, there was a definite clunking on a rough drive or on gravel.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2021, 20:25   #9
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Symptoms are Handling seem more vague and also the car seems unsettled during braking . if totally failed can bump under your feet as lower arm hits bush housing
If the bushes have failed you can actually see backwards and forwards movement in wheel if you put the car in gear / handbrake off and rock it backwards and forwards ,
Best idea is to jack the car up and , Check your wheel for movement 12-6 (bearing and ball joint including strut top mount ) and 3-9 (track rod end inner tie rod and rack ) and also move your wheel backwards and forwards in the arch (Rear bush ) Investigate any undue movement . If you can get under the car you can also check rear bush with a bar between bottom arm and subframe
Drop links usually rattle on undulating surfaces and are quite easy to check !

Last edited by TourerSteve; 15th June 2021 at 20:28..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote