Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th September 2007, 15:40   #21
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshot View Post
I've just noticed the Haynes manual is advising 45K or 3 years for cam belt change.
Sadly Haynes seem to get more things wrong than they do right. It's a (bad) habit they have got into
Old 4th September 2007, 15:56   #22
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Page 1A-14 in the Haynes, for those interested!

Don't know if Haynes 'err' on the side of caution, or they have shares in a cambelt fitting company!

I'll go with the MGR Data Sheets!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 20:45   #23
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
Don't know if Haynes 'err' on the side of caution, or they have shares in a cambelt fitting company!
Haynes usually halve the manufacturer's oil change and cam belt replacement periods. They believe it to be good practice and while extravagant perhaps, few will say they're wrong. They may work on the assumption that the average DIY car owner tends to procrastinate when it comes to servicing, so plenty of advance warning is best.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 18:26   #24
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Were the four cylinder engine cam belts not dropped to 60,000 miles if they had the automatic tensioner? Dont want to start an argument but i wouldn't like to wait 90,000 miles (please don't shout at me )

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 20:46   #25
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

I would say that Rover got it right on cam belts replacement intervals, as I don't see lots of posts on belt failures on this forum. The thing to note with the K-series engines is the interval is miles OR years unlike a lot of other manufacturers who only state miles, (as with my previous car, a Mazda Xedos)

So even if the car has only done 50K, if it's 5 years old the belt replacement is due. Have any members here had a belt go under the recommended limits ?

On the other hand, I like to change the oil more frequently than specified. It's not logical, I agree !
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 00:02   #26
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell View Post
So even if the car has only done 50K, if it's 5 years old the belt replacement is due. Have any members here had a belt go under the recommended limits ?
When the Haynes manual came out I was a bit worried about their advice of Cambelt change at 45k or three years. I asked 3 ex MGR dealers or Service Centres if the had known of a KV6 cambelt failure under the recommended period. They all said no - none. Except in one case and that was failed tensioner.

Mine is now 6 years old or 6.5 years depending if you go by the registration date 01.09.01 or the build date week 12.2001 on 58k miles.

Visiting a certain establishment in Coventry area for the job to be done this weekend.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 07:56   #27
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Were the four cylinder engine cam belts not dropped to 60,000 miles if they had the automatic tensioner? Dont want to start an argument but i wouldn't like to wait 90,000 miles (please don't shout at me )
I'd always understood 5yr/60k - the local Rover dealer did it that way on the wife's 214 and just been done again at 9yrs owing to leaking water pump and possible damage to auto tensioner.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 17:42   #28
KHC

R75 Connie and 986 Boxster

Default belt changing

Folks

Mine (2.0 v6) is in this week for belts to be changed - as for the water pump that seems OK. As for Haynes, I've studied the manual and decided to take their advice and leave it to a competent former Rover dealer/garage to sort. As a practising engineer of 25+ years, knowing ones limitations is key - especially where special tools and camshaft issues are concerned.

As for intervals I understand 90k or 6 years. I've compromised at 6-1/2 years and 74k. It's all down to your acceptance of risk of catastrophic failure (likelihood - anytime around 90k/6 years and severity - trashed engine and recovery costs etc - sorry safety engineer part of me coming out of the closet ). My Boxster has chains thank goodness but a 10k service is near to '75 cam belt costs

As for my kn*****ed cooling fan - that is another issue all together. I managed to get one of the last new ones in the country and it arrived today. :lol: Just don't ask how much it cost

Karl
KHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 18:37   #29
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Had a look today as i was confused, Rover state 90,000 on all K series except vvc which is 60,000. I am still certain the later cars with auto tensioner had dropped to 60,000 even though service sheets disagree

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote