Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2021, 08:58   #1
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

Default Opinion wrt Powerflex bushes.

I'm after second opinions please. my daughter owns a 2005 Mini ( I think they refer to it as an R53 ). This Mini has rear bushes for the front lower control arm, just like the R75 and ZT, However to change them you need to remove the subframe !, it is a shocking design and could have been so much easier with minimal thought.
Me (dad) ends up maintaining this car (she has cottoned onto the fact I am a lot cheaper than a garage !) and she recently had the nearside bush go. To avoid the dropping of subframe, I used a POWERFLEX bush and was able to press that in thus keeping the existing casting/housing/subframe in place.

It wasn't a very nice job and I don't relish the thought of doing the other side ( so they match ). My Q, is, one side is the original rubbery type of bush, the other is now powerflex. Would this fail an MOT (due next week) because of a part incompatibility.
thanks
Bap
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2021, 09:40   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

No it won’t fail the mot as they just check for wear and tear on a component.

It would be better if you changed the other side to powerflex to match as the greater flex in the rubber bush might be noticeable when driving.
Old 10th March 2021, 10:46   #3
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

tyvm for that, these bushes come in pairs so I'll change the other side when the weather improves.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2021, 17:32   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I agree who ever decided to put the bolts facing upwards had no thought of servicing or maybe it was done n purpose?

The BMW Mini bushes are not to bad if you use a hacksaw to remove the old one. Disassemble the hacksaw and put the blade through the bush and off you go.

Plenty of lube on the new bushes makes them slide in a lot easier. Silicone grease is best but washing up liquid will work.

When I did the wife's it took about 45 mins per side.

No it wont fail and MOT on different bushes but it will drive a lot better with matching bushes.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote