Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th February 2024, 15:22   #101
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Stairs will become a problem for all of us if we live long enough and I had to consider the problem for my late mum. I looked at stairlifts and found the cost of buying new plus the fitting to be horrendous and some are tailored for a particular property/layout which can make buying a used one problematic. However buying used can be considerably less expensive and many have had little use because sadly, and apparently, they can become surplus to requirement relatively soon after fitting.

I had looked at bungalows with both of my parents some ~ 27 years ago now, bungalows were far more affordable back then and we had the cash to pay upfront. But contemplation and hope for the perfect bungalow got in the way and it never happened. Plus both parents were still quite able and active at the time so there was no sense of urgency to move. With hindsight that was the best time to make a decision and to move before the need grew and gave rise to urgency. How I rued not doing so all those years ago when the time came to consider the stair problem for mum. All too late now and sadly both parents are now gone. Dad went quickly and unexpectedly with a heart problem after just turning 78 and mum went at just shy of 93 after a struggle with Alzheimer's and old age.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 15:51   #102
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Stairs will become a problem for all of us if we live long enough and I had to consider the problem for my late mum. I looked at stairlifts and found the cost of buying new plus the fitting to be horrendous and some are tailored for a particular property/layout which can make buying a used one problematic. However buying used can be considerably less expensive and many have had little use because sadly, and apparently, they can become surplus to requirement relatively soon after fitting.

I had looked at bungalows with both of my parents some ~ 27 years ago now, bungalows were far more affordable back then and we had the cash to pay upfront. But contemplation and hope for the perfect bungalow got in the way and it never happened. Plus both parents were still quite able and active at the time so there was no sense of urgency to move. With hindsight that was the best time to make a decision and to move before the need grew and gave rise to urgency. How I rued not doing so all those years ago when the time came to consider the stair problem for mum. All too late now and sadly both parents are now gone. Dad went quickly and unexpectedly with a heart problem after just turning 78 and mum went at just shy of 93 after a struggle with Alzheimer's and old age.
I have the stairlift people coming on this Thursday for a quote. I know they do sell reconditioned ones so will look at that option as well.
My neighbour had one fitted for her late husband and she got that through the Adult Social Services via Cornwall Council. Fitted for free but the downside was they wanted £700 a year for the servicing/maintenance. She had it fitted but declined the servicing.
It should have been installed in the April but someone made a mistake on the paperwork and it didn’t get put in till the August.
Sadly her husband passed away in the December.

She contacted Cornwall Council for them to take it out. And they wanted £500 to remove it. So she got a friend to take it apart and he delivered it back to the council. He worked for Acorn Stairlifts so he knew what he was doing. She never heard from the council again.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 17:12   #103
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Just an idea Bob, think about a lift, may be better for you.
https://www.portal2compare.co.uk/hom...xoCSCUQAvD_BwE
Old 20th February 2024, 18:23   #104
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattrike View Post
Just an idea Bob, think about a lift, may be better for you.
https://www.portal2compare.co.uk/hom...xoCSCUQAvD_BwE
Good idea, however I haven’t really got anywhere to put it. But thanks for the link.

onen hag oll
Old 20th February 2024, 21:11   #105
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Good idea, however I haven’t really got anywhere to put it. But thanks for the link.
You might be surprised where they will fit. When I had a stairlift fitted for my Mother lifts were not available (2010). She died in 2016 aged 98, and I have left it in for me (hopefully not for a long time!).
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 21:16   #106
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

It might be helpful if you could arrange for someone to be with you for the sales visit Bob. The more the merrier because while there is always the chance of an exception sales people are notorious for their persistence and reluctance to leave without securing a sale. Expect the usual ruses to pressure you and be ready with a reason why you must curtail the meeting if you feel the need to - forewarned is forearmed. Make sure that you are sitting down when you are hit with the cost options because the council figures you mentioned above might well look cheap in comparison. It is a big decision to make so take time to think further about it and do not buy on the spot. Have a stiff drink or two ... hic, and using what you garner from the meeting explore and compare any alternatives.

The local council is an option for those who might qualify for a freebie. Surprised your neighbour was asked to pay anything if the means test was met in full, maybe it wasn't hence the requirement for the part payment. But even if you don't qualify for a council freebie it might be worth approaching it for advice on anything that you might be thinking of buying. It will be experienced and familiar with what should be best for you and your situation and perhaps what to avoid. Not all stairlifts are the same and the council might advise to avoid a type on grounds of safety if not something else. Apologies in advance for posting anything that might be obvious to you.
Old 21st February 2024, 07:14   #107
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
It might be helpful if you could arrange for someone to be with you for the sales visit Bob. The more the merrier because while there is always the chance of an exception sales people are notorious for their persistence and reluctance to leave without securing a sale. Expect the usual ruses to pressure you and be ready with a reason why you must curtail the meeting if you feel the need to - forewarned is forearmed. Make sure that you are sitting down when you are hit with the cost options because the council figures you mentioned above might well look cheap in comparison. It is a big decision to make so take time to think further about it and do not buy on the spot. Have a stiff drink or two ... hic, and using what you garner from the meeting explore and compare any alternatives.

The local council is an option for those who might qualify for a freebie. Surprised your neighbour was asked to pay anything if the means test was met in full, maybe it wasn't hence the requirement for the part payment. But even if you don't qualify for a council freebie it might be worth approaching it for advice on anything that you might be thinking of buying. It will be experienced and familiar with what should be best for you and your situation and perhaps what to avoid. Not all stairlifts are the same and the council might advise to avoid a type on grounds of safety if not something else. Apologies in advance for posting anything that might be obvious to you.
Many thanks for the information. I’ll get my mate Allen to be here with me tomorrow.

onen hag oll
Old 21st February 2024, 14:54   #108
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

The boss lady, Clare, came to see me today. She is the lady that got the ball rolling about getting me the help in the first place. She sat down and we had a chat. She told me not to get my hopes high regarding the ankle. She too has seen the X-Ray and said that she thought they would have already operated.
Hopefully you can stay in the boot for another 6 weeks.

Then she supervised me going up and down the stairs. And told me I was not to do this task on my own. Someone must be here with me to watch, just in case I slipped or even worse fell.
Whilst I was upstairs she wanted to see if I could get on and off the loo ok. I told her I had bought a frame that goes around the loo but hadn’t tested it yet.

So she got that out of the spare bedroom and set it at the right height and fitted around the loo. It’s free standing but could be screwed down at a later date. Anyway she wanted to see how I managed to get on and off of the loo. Managed that ok. Until the shower is replaced I’m still doing strip down washes downstairs in the kitchen. Clare said that was the best place. The upstairs wash basin isn’t very big so only hand washing to be done.

Then time to watch me go back down the stairs. Injured foot to hell then the crutch followed by the good leg and holding onto the handrail. Once down Clare told me to go and sit down and lift the injured leg up and onto the footstool. She then made me a cuppa and then set about emptying to loo. Then back down and asked me how often do I go out. I said not often enough mainly as the weather stops me. I mentioned about the front path being slippery when wet.

She is going to get the council down to have a look at what might be done. She reckons a good solid handrail would be the best idea. And with that she left. She said she might come and see me again soon. Her parting words were, “we have to look after our film star. I saw you on the TV making your bed”.

So spent the day indoors as the rain has been falling. Still there is snooker on the magic box to watch. And the kettle is employed a lot. No biscuits though.

onen hag oll
Old 21st February 2024, 18:51   #109
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Some council help might not be means tested, a number of small-ticket items were provided free to my late mum after her needs were assessed by our local council. A bath seat and a toilet frame were among them though we eventually returned the toilet frame after having the bathroom refitted to include a raised toilet designed for the purpose. An alternative to a stairlift is a handle/frame which you can grip for support and it slides on a rail as you go up or down the stairs. A few variations on the same theme exist and the following link shows but one of them. Click

A local mobility shop could be a good source of advice and info plus it might receive approaches from buyers and sellers of stuff (such as stairlifts) and be able to facilitate contact between the two. The neighbour you mentioned whose late husband had a stairlift could also be worth speaking to about their experience, more so if your properties and/or stairs are the same. Her former Acorn fitter who you also mentioned may also be able to help with advice and perhaps fitting if you buy used. For used maybe consider Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace too but before looking to buy be sure that it is right for the job and your stairs - such as length and shape if any curves or dog-legs in the stairs have to be accommodated. The Acorn fitter mentioned will likely know what you will need so I would definitely sound him out if at all possible.
Old 21st February 2024, 19:20   #110
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Until the shower is replaced I’m still doing strip down washes downstairs in the kitchen.
Sorry Bob but that immediately brings this vision to mind

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote