Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th September 2007, 19:54   #1
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Default Mods for 1.8T

Ok - I know I've just bought the car but wonder what upgrades any other owners run out of interest? Air filters seem to be geared for the CDTi and V6 - are any available for the 1.8T? What else - exhausts, chips, remap......?

Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 21:03   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Hey there, welcome to the forum, In my own personal opinion, I think that reliably, the addition of a turbo to the K series is pushing it anyway, without other mods.
Old 6th September 2007, 21:52   #3
Simon
Banned

-

The simplest thing to do is fit a more freer-flowing air filter (maybe even step up the game to an induction kit).

Re-chipping can be expensive for little power gains so best left until much later in the game.

The biggest and best solution is to clean everything. Inside and out. For example, try squirting carburettor cleaner into the throttle body to clean out the manifold. A measured amount of Redex or similar in your tank to clean out your injectors.... It all helps and can restore performance lost to dirt and grime.

Exhaust systems can offer freer flowing solutions but maintaining the appropriate back-pressure is very wise. Usually though you'll get an increase in noise/aesthetic/acoustic appeal but marginal performance gains.

Better spark plugs and engine oil along with a new filter (as above) and maybe even some of the higher octane fuels will give you much more value for money.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 07:24   #4
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

Welcome.
I agree with both of the above. The 1.8t is under enough pressure as it is. I wouldn't want to squeeze any more power out of mine, as I don't think it would handle it.
Remember the K series engine was only designed as a 1.4. I think it's at it's limit as a 1.8t.
A lot of people have a go at the 1.8, but as long as you don't have coolant loss issues, I think it's a good engine with a good mix of power and economy.
Just make sure you check the coolant level VERY often.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 15:40   #5
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've learnt a few things a) it's based on the 1.4 and b) it may be close to it's tolerance limit already Hold on a minute - was it the K series that I had in my MG Metro GTi Anyway can anyone recommend a better air filter - K&N, Green......?

Old 7th September 2007, 16:08   #6
Simon
Banned

-

I use an ITG filter on my car but many have used K&N on their cars (regardless of engine).
Old 7th September 2007, 16:54   #7
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
Re-chipping can be expensive for little power gains so best left until much later in the game.
Simon - I am sure that you're absolutely right, but I seem to recall very significant power gains being quoted from chipping the 1.8T engine a couple of years back - and for quite reasonable sums. No idea what this does for reliability, but I also seem to recall that the 1.8T engine was somewhat detuned to stop it competing with the 2.5litre KV6 models...
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 17:07   #8
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

Does any one know if the KV6 2.5lt and the 2lt airfilters are the same, in all the searchs I have done, it always seems to list the 2.5lt but nothing about the 2lt?
tony_fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 17:21   #9
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
I use an ITG filter on my car but many have used K&N on their cars (regardless of engine).
Not sure if I'm particularly dumb but judging by the ITG website they don't do filters for the ZT or any of the MG/Rover derivitives?

As Rob says I'm sure I saw something similar about the detuning of the 1.8T.........?
Old 7th September 2007, 17:42   #10
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Not sure if I'm particularly dumb but judging by the ITG website they don't do filters for the ZT or any of the MG/Rover derivitives?
This is the closest match out of their stock list:

Product number WB-218 for MGF 1.8 K Series incl VVC (>2001)
or
Product number WB-343 for MGF 1.8, Trophy & MG TF

You'll notice that the ZT/75 isn't actually listed on their website but luckily ITG do make filters to any size required. I used Merlin Motorsports (http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/) who ordered mine for me (mine was the KV6 filter). I'm sure if you get on the blower to them they ought to be able to arrange ITG to make one if the ones for the MGF series aren't suitable.