Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th January 2014, 06:47   #11
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5V6 autobox, Rover Streetwise 2.0 DTi, MG ZR160

In Holland when you hit a car from behind the car in the front is always free of blame for the accident. The gereral rule is that a driver aways has to be aware that the vehicle in front of him must be able to make an emergency stop for what ever reason without being hit by the car behind him. If you hit a car from behind, you are always in trouble here.

I can imagine that in the UK a sort of same rule could be valid.

I hope you have not too much trouble with this hit. Some people are very clever to get money out of your pocket...

Rob.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
robwijnstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 07:24   #12
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I hate to say it but it sounds a wee bit like one of these insurance scams.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 07:26   #13
kevein57
Regular poster

Rover 75 V6 2.5 Contemp SE

I wouldn't worry 'cause he has forfeit his rights anyway by driving under the influence and should not have been in control of a vehicle - they may call you as a witness when he goes to court to have his licence taken off him.
kevein57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 08:05   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevein57 View Post
I wouldn't worry 'cause he has forfeit his rights anyway by driving under the influence and should not have been in control of a vehicle - they may call you as a witness when he goes to court to have his licence taken off him.
If the police are taking no further action, it sounds as if he may not have been drunk after all.

It reads as if the lead car turned off, revealing the dark Audi and that James took advantage of the lead car turning left to pull out. Maybe the injury was entirely due to his own weight, rather than the accident. It also reads as if despite there being a car (you) in front of him, he just kept going as if you were not there.

These mini roundabouts are a nightmare to negotiate, due to so many not understanding that roundabout rules apply.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 14:27   #15
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Heh heh sounds about right... innit...

I have taken a pic of my car with this afternoons paper next to it, just in case....

That was astute of you to do that

When you gave your details to the drivers son, I am assuming you did not admit liability. The fact that the police are not prosecuting, implies he was under the limit or the police let him off if he was border line and that his driving was not reckless. He should have been paying more attention.

Where does all of this leave you? Hopefully Scot free!

The next consideration James, is do you notify your insurance company? This dilemma has been debated many times before. I am sorry to find yourself having to deal with this.

From my own experience of having driven into the back of another car, I am glad I involved the insurance company straight away. Not a scratch on my car. I was at a junction and just touched his rear bumper of an old banger which had the boot tied down with some rope, but the other driver counter claimed against me for £5000 and tried to take me to court. The other driver was nasty, harassed me all hours at home and at work and I was relieved my insurance company took care of everything. Drivers legal protection cut in and saved my bacon. In the end I paid zero!

A bizarre story alright.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:30   #16
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Apparently the first policeman that called misunderstood what he was told, the truth was, the bloke who hit me claimed that I was drunk!

I have done all that I can do legally, so now it's up the insurance companies to sort out.

I believe the whole thing was a scam to try to get money via an insurance claim, but I can't prove it, and from what I can see, the insurance companies don't seem too bothered..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:50   #17
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

You have done everything proper. It is a timely warning to all of us
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 16:22   #18
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

I could be wrong here but you gave way to the vehicle to your right, he was turning left so you pulled out and the car behind him hit you..Does it not say in the highway code that at roundabouts you give way to vehicles on your left but also to vehicles already on the roundabout..ie You ??

But knowing insurance companies don't hold your breath for them to fight your corner though..

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 16:53   #19
Dave69
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTI MK2

I always thought you gave way to vehicles on your right??
Dave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 16:54   #20
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave69 View Post
I always thought you gave way to vehicles on your right??
You do, sadly few people do this at roundabouts!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote