Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2012, 11:44   #1
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Default Changed underbonnet pump - now gears heavy

After having an incident where the car, a 2004 CDT Tourer with 195000 on the clock, would not start in a town centre car park, but started first time after giving the under-bonnet fuel pump a clout, I decided to change the pump as a precaution.

I received the pump from MKON today and was able to fit it in about 45 minutes. I did find the bottom hose removal and replacement to be a bit of a struggle due to the restricted room for getting my hands in but it all went together without any leaks and the engine is starting an running healthily.

I have only taken it for short run so far but I have noticed that it appears to be more difficult to get the car into gear as I seem to have to push much harder on the gearstick to engage gears - especially first and reverse.

Has anyone else has this problem? Could I have interfered with the gear selection mechanism when fitting the UBP bottom hose?

Steve
Old 10th April 2012, 11:48   #2
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Steve

I wouldn't have thought you have disturbed the gear selection mechanism, although it isn't far from the bottom hose. I wonder if you spilt some diesel on the cables and it has removed some of the lubrication?

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge than me will be along to help.

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:21   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Are the gears easy to get into with the engine off? If so then I'm afraid it sounds more like a clutch hydraulic issue. The hydraulic pipe that connects the master to the slave cylinder runs nearby the bottom of the UBP, but could be a coincidence that you now have a problem with changing gears.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 14:03   #4
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Thanks for the replies....

There are no signs of diesel spillage and I have just driven the car again. I am beginning to think that I was just getting used to my Wife's Toyota Aygo over the easter weekend which has a new clutch fitted and has a very light gear change.

I know one thing that I did, when changing the UBP, was to pull slightly on the fuel feed pipe that runs to the bottom of the UBP so see if I could gain more clearance to the lower end of the pump when re-attaching the hose and clip (but the hose would not move so I did not try it again).

Another thing that I notice now is that I get a short metallic rattle noise from under the engine every time I stop the engine and it is noticeable from inside the car as well as from outside. If it persists, I will drop the under-tray at the weekend and have a better look.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Are the gears easy to get into with the engine off? If so then I'm afraid it sounds more like a clutch hydraulic issue. The hydraulic pipe that connects the master to the slave cylinder runs nearby the bottom of the UBP, but could be a coincidence that you now have a problem with changing gears.

Mike
Old 10th April 2012, 17:20   #5
mikesmith2
Loves to post

None

When i changed mine I removed the metal plate that holds the battery box and fuel filter in place, that gave me plenty of room to get at the bottom pipe on the pump.
mikesmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote