Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th April 2010, 22:38   #11
Gary
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Club - Mitsubishi GTO

You don’t say if you have the front of the car jacked up or whether you are doing the work over an inspection pit but if you have the car in gear and both front wheels on the ground that will prevent the crankshaft from tuning. Or have you put a pin in to lock the flywheel and forgot to take it out? With the head off it should turn easy.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 23:28   #12
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

No, nothing has been disturbed. Nothing is jamming. The Haynes manual states that the crankshaft will be difficult if not impossible to move when the head is off. Does anybody know why they give this advice. Why should it be difficult to move the crankshaft
RobRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 01:15   #13
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

If all else fails, try knocking the damaged piston down with a wooden hammer shaft till you can reach the big end bolts. Once the bolts are undone you can remove the bottom housing and drive the piston back up and out the top. Be carefull not to damage the con rod..

But I agree, the engine should turn very freely with no head on it.

I think you have a badly damaged piston skirt jamming in it's bore somewhere. ... Fingers crossed..

Last edited by James.uk; 20th April 2010 at 01:21..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 07:46   #14
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

I think if you read on in the Haynes manual you will find that the piston/conrod assembly cannot be removed from the top as the big-end eye is too big for the liner. It has to come out the bottom, so it is a crankshaft removal job. Funny old engines, these K4s
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 08:33   #15
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The cranks usually are difficult to start moving initially but ones this is overcome it should turn easier (providing the damaged piston isn't jammind on the liner), are you using a ratchet or big bar? The piston definately comes 'up' without removing the crank.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 20th April 2010 at 08:40..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 08:39   #16
Gary
Avid contributor

I replaced all four of mine a few weeks ago and the piston will push out through the top of the engine. If you haven’t already done so you will need to think about replacing the liner because you will probably find, if you look closely, that has been damaged as well.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:49   #17
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

As mentioned by RobRoy, Haynes says:

'Due to the design of the engine, it will become very difficult, almost impossible, to turn the crankshaft after the head bolts have been slackened.'

There's no explanation of why this is, but it's clearly a fact as demonstrated here. I suspect there must be some form of relaxation in the structure when bolt tension is released and this causes flexure, which effectively locks the crank/pistons in position. There may be a completely different reason, but I couldn't guess what.

The next question is how can you remove the crank for example, if you can't turn it? Very wierd.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 10:06   #18
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

Gary, How did you turn your crank, was it OK. Did you have any trouble removing the gudgeon pin from the old piston or did you replace the conrod as well?
RobRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 10:21   #19
Gary
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
As mentioned by RobRoy, Haynes says:

'Due to the design of the engine, it will become very difficult, almost impossible, to turn the crankshaft after the head bolts have been slackened.'

There's no explanation of why this is, but it's clearly a fact as demonstrated here. I suspect there must be some form of relaxation in the structure when bolt tension is released and this causes flexure, which effectively locks the crank/pistons in position. There may be a completely different reason, but I couldn't guess what.

The next question is how can you remove the crank for example, if you can't turn it? Very wierd.

TC
This is very strange and contradictory. You are told to lock the liners because if you don’t they may become dislodged when you rotate the crank, then you are told you can’t rotate the crank with the head removed. Doesn’t make sense to me!! All I can say is I replaced all four pistons a few weeks ago and had no problem rotating the crankshaft.
Thinking about it you need to lock the flywheel so the crank will not rotate so you can undo the nut on the bottom pully.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:41   #20
Gary
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Gary, How did you turn your crank, was it OK. Did you have any trouble removing the gudgeon pin from the old piston or did you replace the conrod as well?
Remove the drivers side wheel and part of the inner cover to expose the bottom pulley, then put a socket with a long extension on the bottom pulley nut and it should turn easy. The only thing that I can think off that would stop it is if the gear box is locked eg. you have the car in gear with your foot on the brake.

Too expensive for me to replace conrod as well. If you put the piston in a vice with a bit of brut force you can punh the gudgeon pin out but remember to mark the conrod so you replace it the same way it came out. You will need to heat the conrod to replace the new pin.