Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2022, 19:48   #1
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Default Petrol fuel tank swap "how to"

Hi everyone,

For reasons that I won't go into I need to change the fuel tank of my Z-TT. There doesn't seem to be a complete "how to" so has anyone actually changed the tank, what was involved and how difficult was it. Haynes reckons you have to remove the brake cables at the handbrake and at each wheel which they say is a pain in the neck. Is there an easy way of doing it. I see the exhaust has to be released and assume it can be lowered to clear the tank. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 10:35   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Ask Trikey or Arctic.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2022, 20:15   #3
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

I haven't had much luck with replies to my enquiry. However, it appears the main problems are releasing the handbrake cables from the brake expanders and dropping the exhaust.

The only other problem I have uncovered is that there appear to be two different fuel pumps and filters does anyone know if there is any difference between the two. I would appreciate a response.

Martin
Old 24th June 2022, 21:01   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

hi martin. i know that the exhaust should not be a problem.it can be rested and supported under the flexi.just in the way a little but working around it is ok. Im not in a position to advise on the differences between the two types of tanks but there are others on here who can and will. The tank straps will need removing together with the centre section between the saddle. you may be best to renew or refurb the strap whilst in there. There are hoses to unplug behind the tank that can eject quite a lot of pressure / fuel if you are on LPG , as the tank gets hyped up in pressure during use. im not sure if there is a workround on the handbrake cable , either at the compensator end or the brake plate ends. When mine was removed to renew brake pipe runs the cables were removed anyway for new backplates and handbrake assemblies. I hope someone will come forward with more details and advise you further. It does at least ,if you decide to do this job, to sort any other issues / brake pipes/backplates/subframe /upper arm etc etc etc. whilst in there.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2022, 21:40   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

The earlier pumps were better as they escaped the fabled orange clip senario of coming unscrewed. I presume this is for your KV6 . You will be able to identify the two pump types apart by looking at the top case of the pump. Empty the fuel tank down as far as possible before starting .they are lob sided in balance and need 4 hands to steady !! This job needs a four or two poster to tackle the job really, but can be done on your back , with a lot of hassle. ...
Old 25th June 2022, 08:30   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
The earlier pumps were better as they escaped the fabled orange clip senario of coming unscrewed ... You will be able to identify the two pump types apart by looking at the top case of the pump.
You mean the filter canister Stefan don't you, not the pump.

Simon
Old 25th June 2022, 10:46   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Thanks simon . I did indeed mean the filter . .... Glad you pointed this out , i knew i should have gone to bed earlier ....
Old 25th June 2022, 11:50   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Martin you have a PM.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 19:31   #9
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your responses. The tops of the filters look the same. The tops of the pumps look different but the connector looks the same. No-one has yet come forward to say if there are any differences with either the earlier or later pumps or filters and that I will be okay to fit an earlier tank which has the earlier ones? I would appreciate an answer to this question before I fit a replacement tank.

Thanks Martin
Old 25th June 2022, 20:35   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

hello again martin. Been trying to get this thread moving for you but its slow taking off. There are people who do know the ins and outs of these pumps individually. In other words you need someone who has tried to utilise components from both pumps and tanks. I dont know if you have a tank or pump spare already , but you would be better to stay "like for like" as it were. My understanding is , and im no expert , that the plumbing is indeed different between tanks. what this means in practical terms is well beyond my knowledge. It could be connectors pipewise or other mitigating factors. A trader on here would probably know . Big russ is not always on here but you could send him a message, i have seen posts on here somewhere related. Someone could help you with a few pointers regarding the types of pumps and tanks fittings im sure.... I know that the diesel tanks vary from double to single pump versions but the petrol versions before and after project drive ...