Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd June 2022, 17:59   #1
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Default Disconnected battery - No Steering wheels controls

So i've fitted a battery isolator to the car, and turn it off when not in use for long periods. Fitted a Pioneer double din radio, got the connects2 steering wheel control adapter working etc.. all good. Battery on and off, things all working.

Until last week, turned the battery back on and got nothing. Had the radio out this afternoon, all connections tight and secure. Could a spike in voltage when reconnecting screw up the connects2 control adapter, or something more like the clock spring has thrown a wobbly?

Help appreciated!
2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
2001 MGF 1.8 Steptronic
2019 Seat Ateca Xcellece
Gone but not forgotton - MG ZT 260 SE #171
Member #126
Stu C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 15:29   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

does it say which way round to connect the new unit .some are live permanent and some only on the ignition on . it should have mentioned on connects 2 leaflet install. Its been a while now since i connected my kenwood and i do remember something about the wiring one wire pickup only ? Too long ago now for me to remember,but what i did do was buy a spare connects2 unit.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 15:35   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

is the radio/unit working manually : without steering wheel controls ?
Old 26th June 2022, 13:14   #4
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Radio is currently working no problem at all even without the steering wheel controls. When i first installed everything the steering wheel controls worked no problem.

Did this with the battery and now nothing Even reset the unit, the battery, checked all connections and still nothing.
2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
2001 MGF 1.8 Steptronic
2019 Seat Ateca Xcellece
Member #126
Old 27th June 2022, 22:07   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

did you follow the instructions for the connects 2 single wire connection ? you just use the one input wire on that and the adapter does the rest. if you buy another then you could wire the unit to ignition on only , that way you would not incur a possible spike, which until you have tried to resolve by other means seems highly likely. they are not that dear, and i bought an extra spare for just that reason . fortunately mine has been ok up to now. touch activate any screen or button , ignition on only .
Old 28th June 2022, 15:10   #6
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Hmm not sure i follow with the single wire lead? This is the patch lead i installed....https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...headunits.html

As i say plugged everything in when first installed and worked. I'll try a new adapter box once i know how much i'll have to spend on my Land Rovers MOT on Friday and go from there...
2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
2001 MGF 1.8 Steptronic
2019 Seat Ateca Xcellece
Member #126
Old 28th June 2022, 17:11   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Oh i see. your set up is different to mine. i didnt use the stalk lead. just steering buttons and a standard connects2 unit. my connects2 has one input lead only and couples to the unit which in turn finds the steering wheel circuit at the loom , which i believe is a continuous circuit and back to earth. some of these cars had infared system but mine did not. Anyway it worked for you originaly so must have been ok. Have you checked which side of the power supply your new unit is fed from, i was very sure to connect my unit to the ignition on only side. you will then have only power when its on.wired the other way round,permanent feed supply, it is possible that you could cause a spike i suppose when you reconnect your battery isolator, as the control units will all power up at the same time including the radio unit. Pioneer is a sub division of kenwood ,same manufacturer i believe so if mine works ok , yours should. You have 2 yr guarantee on your stalk lead , so send it back and ask for a replacement. Nothing to lose whilst you sort out your other jobs. At the end of the day it could well be faulty anyway ...
Old 28th June 2022, 21:00   #8
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

STU, are all the other controls on the steering working ok ? horn/cruise etc . have you checked .. the cruise roadsign should appear on the screen.
Old 30th June 2022, 12:10   #9
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Oh i see. your set up is different to mine. i didnt use the stalk lead. just steering buttons and a standard connects2 unit. my connects2 has one input lead only and couples to the unit which in turn finds the steering wheel circuit at the loom , which i believe is a continuous circuit and back to earth. some of these cars had infared system but mine did not. Anyway it worked for you originaly so must have been ok. Have you checked which side of the power supply your new unit is fed from, i was very sure to connect my unit to the ignition on only side. you will then have only power when its on.wired the other way round,permanent feed supply, it is possible that you could cause a spike i suppose when you reconnect your battery isolator, as the control units will all power up at the same time including the radio unit. Pioneer is a sub division of kenwood ,same manufacturer i believe so if mine works ok , yours should. You have 2 yr guarantee on your stalk lead , so send it back and ask for a replacement. Nothing to lose whilst you sort out your other jobs. At the end of the day it could well be faulty anyway ...
It's what my train of thought was, could be the unit kaput. Worth a try getting a replacement for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
STU, are all the other controls on the steering working ok ? horn/cruise etc . have you checked .. the cruise roadsign should appear on the screen.
One of my first train of thoughts that, yus, cruise works (used it when driving after things went wrong) and horns no problem too
2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
2001 MGF 1.8 Steptronic
2019 Seat Ateca Xcellece
Member #126
Old 30th June 2022, 14:45   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

looking through my kenwood wiring diagram that came with the unit which is only 2 yrs old today. It says to wire the unit via red wire for ignition only. That is the default wiring for my unit. It does state that option 2 using the yellow input wire was for V.W and Audi vehicles. You dont say which way yours is wired. It may or maynot be the cause of your touble , but if the new connects2 does the same again , it may well be a prime suspect. ...