Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th October 2016, 18:02   #1
ashley101
Avid contributor

2002 Conn SE 75 Tourer (Manual)

Default Alternator change - Central London

My CDT Tourer broke down during a trip very late Saturday night. I had a series of error messages pop up on the display (everything from ABS fault to seatbelt not plugged in) before the car conked out totally - with the windscreen wipers going and the doors locking as the final signs of life.

The RAC took a long time to come out, but in the end they did, and the mechanic diagnosed a dead alternator. It's been in one of their garages since, and today I had the quote for repair: £480 all in.

I'm reluctant to spend about 2/3 of the car's value on this one part, so does anyone know of an alternative garage? It's in Central London at the moment and would need to be transported as a non-starter.

ashley101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 18:23   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley101 View Post
My CDT Tourer broke down during a trip very late Saturday night. I had a series of error messages pop up on the display (everything from ABS fault to seatbelt not plugged in) before the car conked out totally - with the windscreen wipers going and the doors locking as the final signs of life.

The RAC took a long time to come out, but in the end they did, and the mechanic diagnosed a dead alternator. It's been in one of their garages since, and today I had the quote for repair: £480 all in.

I'm reluctant to spend about 2/3 of the car's value on this one part, so does anyone know of an alternative garage? It's in Central London at the moment and would need to be transported as a non-starter.

It depends on how much you like the car, what condition is in, how long you want to keep it, etc etc, £480 is excessive but if they are going to use OEM quality parts and do a good job, considering costs of transporting,,,,.
You decide, ring round and get one or two quotes, in any case the alternator may not in fact be goosed it may only be the rectifier pack, have they tested it, ask them to tell you exactly what aspect of the alternator is goosed.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 18:44   #3
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

Best bet may be a mobile mechanic?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 17th October 2016, 20:04   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

A reconditioned alternator from a factors (or ECP) will cost between £150 and £260 depending on the manufacturer and rating (the CDT uses two different ratings of Valeo as the OEM).

Average garage rates close to Central London are around £90/hour and replacing the alternator on a 75 CDT is a 3-hour job.

On the basis of the above, £480 does not seem excessive. Central London just happens to be an unfortunate place to have a breakdown.

Having the car towed to the outskirts of London - say Hounslow, Hayes, East London etc. will most likely cost in excess of £100. An independent is unlikely to charge less than £300 all inclusive for the job. Then there is the hassle of finding a garage willing to accommodate the job at short notice, or at all.

It seems unlikely that the OP is going to have the work completed for less than £400 unless very lucky in finding semone with the knowledge and willingness to take on what is quite a complex job.

Grivas - I don't believe it is reasonable to expect a general garage to have the knowledge to diagnose the internal falure mode of an alternator. That is a job for an auto electrician. Anyone who did have the knowledge would expect to be paid for the time spent on the diagnosis.

A mobile mechanic is certainly worth trying.

Just my 2p worth.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 20:31   #5
Anthracite
Regular poster

MG ZT

It seems excessive Ashley, will your level of cover allow you to get the car any closer to home ?

Should be an hours labour, if they remove & replace the alternator from the top.
Accessing it from underneath takes longer.
Old 18th October 2016, 06:15   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Z-T View Post
It seems excessive Ashley, will your level of cover allow you to get the car any closer to home ?

Should be an hours labour, if they remove & replace the alternator from the top.
Accessing it from underneath takes longer.
For the benefit of members, would you be awfully kind and post up the details of any garage capable of and willing to carry out a CDT alternator replacement for a one-hour labour charge please?

Thank you.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 07:02   #7
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

when mine died, i was able to sort it by changing the regulator pack ( the brushes are integral ) for circa 20 quid, it can be done in situ. Details here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=230059
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 12:21   #8
Anthracite
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
For the benefit of members, would you be awfully kind and post up the details of any garage capable of and willing to carry out a CDT alternator replacement for a one-hour labour charge please?

Thank you.
Hi, I've witnessed 2 alternators being changed on separate occasions quite recently both in just under an hour.
This was done by a trusted mobile mechanic local to me. Hence the reason I asked Ashley if he could get the car any closer to home.

I wouldn't think it curtious to divulge his information on here, even if allowed it wouldn't be fair to the the traders who pay traders fees to advertise on here.

If Ashley wants to send me a pm. I'll happily pass the details over to him if it helps him out of his predicament

Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 18:08   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Ashley.

If you get the battery charged you can drive it yourself to anywhere you want to get it repaired.------

Simples.--------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 19:22   #10
John Armstrong
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Diesel Saloon

In daylight only!
John Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote