Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th November 2020, 15:29   #1
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts
Default Unusual fault on customers car located today

This is now the second or third time I have come across this issue, hence I thought it would be a good idea to share my findings with everyone on the forum.

Customer contacted me after having odd starting and running issues, sometimes having no issues, other times having issues causing the car to go into a limp mode, and or poor starting, the car in question was a 2001 rover 75 CDTI (131 spec) the AA had said they believed it to be a suspect fuel pump.

Upon arriving at the car I promptly plugged T4 in and ruled out low fuel pressure as the reading at the filter was 364.8Kpa upon looking at the fault codes I noted the usual EGR fault codes along with low pressure codes etc, however the car started first turn, as the customer said it does sometimes,
So I decided to clear all codes and get the customer to take me for a spin with T4 active, 5mins into the test drive I could feel what felt like hesitation when throttle demand was applied, simultaneously I noticed odd readings at the high pressure rail, as this happened the car went into limp mode, maxing out around 1500rpm.

Luckily not far from his house, so we limped back and popped the bonnet, then when I looked at the fuel rail pressure sensor I noticed the harness looked twisted slightly. He also brought to my attention that in the past he had had a tuning box fitted on it off of eBay😮 when I inspected the plug from the harness I noticed the terminals looked corroded, now this is something I have seen a few times now, but not on a facelift only on earlier 75 diesels, once a new plug was fitted in soldered, I went on another test drive, and all is perfect no problem.

Thought I would bring this to peoples attention, as it’s a bit of an unusual one, but it seems to be something that I come across once in a blue moon.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 20:19   #2
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Nice one Mick , it's a well known fault in the Land Rover Freelander world, so much so there was a technical bulletin along with a repair kit produced by Land Rover to fix the problem.

LINK

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 20:48   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
Nice one Mick , it's a well known fault in the Land Rover Freelander world, so much so there was a technical bulletin along with a repair kit produced by Land Rover to fix the problem.

LINK

Alf
Thanks for attaching the bulletin, very interesting that it was dated 2001 and that seems to be the same era that I’ve come across on the 75 diesel.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 21:11   #4
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Cheers Mick
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 22:59   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Thank you for this piece of obscure info Mick. It is all these things that help us keep our cars on the road.
Old 7th November 2020, 23:20   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

As above FL crew have known about this problem for a long time, like Mick have only seen it once on a 75, having said that i have at several times i have had chance taken that part of the loom from diesel engines, i think i may have about 4 at the moment, below is the one for FL1 with the M47 engine.

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/fuel-pr...20-p-6875.html

This would be no good for our 75 though.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote