Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th December 2020, 17:14   #1
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter

Has anyone on here had theirs nicked.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 17:41   #2
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

yep, had the one nicked off my ZT a couple of years back.

Seems to be on the rise again.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 18:36   #3
snowman
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Not a rover but in the last week 8 cars have had their nicked honda Toyota fords in my area on the Toyotas they took the exhaust as well
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 21:29   #4
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

cat prices have risen quite a bit lately so certain ones are, in the eyes of some worth pinching
sometimes depending on model of car its worth taking yours off, selling and replacing with aftermarket rather than some scroat stealing it and damaging other parts in the process.
if youve got one lying about in the garage drop me a pm
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 16:25   #5
Oldoaks
Regular poster

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-Hex View Post
cat prices have risen quite a bit lately so certain ones are, in the eyes of some worth pinching
sometimes depending on model of car its worth taking yours off, selling and replacing with aftermarket rather than some scroat stealing it and damaging other parts in the process.
if youve got one lying about in the garage drop me a pm

The problem with that idea is that a large number of the aftermarket CATS will struggle to make it through emissions for the MOT in subsequent years, there is a reason why they are cheaper than the OEM...
Oldoaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 16:41   #6
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Diesel cats aren’t worth the effort, prices don’t change much current value today is sub £80 as show here from my account page

V6 models however have KAT001 and KAT002 with a combined total of circa £260 so those are the ones at risk, don’t replace any catalytic converter with an aftermarket cat as they are absolutely worthless and don’t last very long in my experience, I remember working out the scrap value at around £6 😡😡😡 tells you everything
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 17:00   #7
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...r-thieves.html

I must admit that if I owned a car that was high risk I'd be thinking about having two exhaust systems made up one with cat for MOT time and one catless for the rest of the time.. Non ethical I know but !!
Have a look on the Copart site more and more write offs appearing with listing of underbody damage and usually means stolen cat

Last edited by Ian G; 29th December 2020 at 17:13..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 19:32   #8
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldoaks View Post
The problem with that idea is that a large number of the aftermarket CATS will struggle to make it through emissions for the MOT in subsequent years, there is a reason why they are cheaper than the OEM...
As may be, but usually more a problem with the cheapo after market ones...... However its a position you'll possibly end up in regardless if your cat is stolen, as Mickyboy says the diesel ones aren't worth much so they're pretty safe. The v6 ones however are worth the risk for them cutting them off, I'd happily pay £300 for a pair in good condition.

If your cat collapses or is stolen where are you going to find original V6 cats these days and are you going to pay over £300 for a pair? You can go round in circles but you'll always end up with aftermarket being at the end.. Just my opinion of course
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 19:48   #9
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
As may be, but usually more a problem with the cheapo after market ones...... However its a position you'll possibly end up in regardless if your cat is stolen, as Mickyboy says the diesel ones aren't worth much so they're pretty safe. The v6 ones however are worth the risk for them cutting them off, I'd happily pay £300 for a pair in good condition.

If your cat collapses or is stolen where are you going to find original V6 cats these days and are you going to pay over £300 for a pair? You can go round in circles but you'll always end up with aftermarket being at the end.. Just my opinion of course
I ended up getting a replacement original front section of exhaust from a trader on here to replace mine, they only took one of the two cats - the rearmost one so I've kept the front section of the exhaust 'just in case'.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 10:10   #10
Oldoaks
Regular poster

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:

Thankfully I was able to acquire a good second hand OEM KV6 CAT a few years ago (kept under lock and key before you ask ). It was as a direct result of having 2 pattern CATS in two years...
Oldoaks is online now   Reply With Quote