Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th February 2021, 14:11   #11
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

When I had my zt anything that was a factory option ie OEM wasn’t classed as a modification so no additional charges. The only thing they questioned was my stainless exhaust but as it wasn’t a performance exhaust they were happy and no charges added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27th February 2021, 14:25   #12
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

One of the Insurers responsibilities is to cover the full known value of the vehicle at the time cover starts. Obvious, yes. But the value of the car has now been changed because of the addition of what in some of them would constitute an increased initial purchase price at new.

Therefore, however unjust it may seem, that has the effect of increasing any claim in the event of total loss. Ergo, higher premium. They are not unaware of total loss claims being in many cases er, enhanced!
Old 27th February 2021, 21:19   #13
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

I'm with Churchill , modified rear lights declared and they weren't bothered just made a note on the file nothing in the paperwork spoke to 3 people there about it all said the same.

And if there's any damage to these cars the insurance will just right them off club or connie se price they offer wont be much different.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 00:08   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
The car came with a space saver, so a full size spare is a change, a mod.
Adrian flux have not seemed bothered by some of the modifications and so they do not add to the premium. If I declare all mods I never have to worry.

macafee2
I do get the thinking, but 1, 4-9 and 16 on your list, it could have left the factory with, unless you happen to be the original purchaser, or they have the original order form, I can’t see how they’d prove it wasn’t like that from new.
The full size spare, I personally don’t see as any different to carrying anything else in the boot, if I take out the small jack supplied, and chuck a trolley jack in the boot instead, I wouldn’t declare it...

I’ve no idea how my car left the factory, so mods I declare are a tow bar, and non performance back box. I assume it came with the black oak and 11’s. I was unaware someone had changed the speedo surround until it was pointed out to me at a meet, likewise I’ve since been told it wouldn’t have had chrome bullet mirrors.

If we declared every part that was different to as it left the factory, would we end up declaring different brands of brake pads, or some cheap floor mats, seat cover etc.

Each to their own obviously, but I think there’s a lot on that list that wouldn’t be looked at if a claim was made. They’re old almost worthless cars now, they’ll come out, see a scratch and offer a few hundred £’s.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 00:28   #15
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
They would not quote, to save lots of waffle and wasted time I asked upfront about the 160 remap, they checked and said no then went on to say only 2 mods allowed. We never progressed far enough for a quote

mods are
electric rear sun blind
Towbar
Full size spare wheel
FBH
Front fog lights
electric seats
Self diming mirror
Walnut dash, was light oak
Replaced the speedo cluster and indicator stalk so I can access the digital stuff
Puddle lights
Lit kick trims
Remap
Red door lights at edge of door card
Aux socket
Torch
Cruise control

macafee2
Absolutely no need to declare any if those items apart from the tow bar and remap, you're just making things difficult and potentially more expensive for yourself declaring the rest.

Anything that's a factory option that you've retrofitted on your car does not need declaring. As others have said there's no way of them knowing what was on the car when it came out the factory. And even if they went through the trouble of finding out what the factory spec was, how do they prove you didn't buy it like that or was aware of the changes? If you sold the car to someone else without informing them of all the retrofitted parts such as the highline cluster, cruise etc then the next owner would have no idea and wouldn't declare it on their insurance.

I bought my typhoon with hairpins fitted, for all I know it may have left the factory with different factory wheels fitted.

The led trims are a cosmetic interior change and doesn't need to be declared. Similarly to head unit/ radio changes. Interior changes generally don't need declaring except for serious changes such as fitting racing seats, roll cage etc.

Remap should be declared, but as already mentioned that's a whole another argument regarding how would the insurance ever know. Again its common sense, if you have a focus ST all modified it would be likely its been remapped too. But a 15 year + old 75 that looks standard, they're not going to suspect its been remapped and will not go through the cost of having it check if the claim is low value. Our cars fall into that low value bracket. They didn't even come out to look at my typhoon when it was rear ended. Just went off a few pics I sent via email.

It just comes down to common sense. Obvious stuff like a blatant aftermarket/stainless exhaust, aftermarket wheels and other changes that are obviously not factory should be declared. Anything else doesn't need to be declared such as changing from 11 spokes to apexs, retrofitting cruise, changing to a highline cluster etc.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 15:21   #16
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Surely every car coming off the line has copious 'build notes'. In fact, I retain all my earlier 'notes' from the several P6's I had. Those extras cost significantly more than the standard build and therefore the price and value? Having been on the 'inside' I can assure that these add-ons are taken into account when assessing market values as far as some insurance underwriters are concerned.
Old 28th February 2021, 15:50   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

but none of the 16 were on the car when I got it and so they are modifications to the car from when it rolled off the production line as I doubt any have been removed.
As I have said, Adrian Flux don't seem interested in a lot of them but I declare them there is no argument in the event of a claim. I did all these mods knowing there may be a cost on insurance and I accepted that.

If any of you have modified your car and not declared the mods and at the end of the insurance year there is no claim and no issue then your decision was "right". It may be regarded as harsh if I were to be T boned and none or only some of the 16 were declared and they refused to pay out but the policy is clear.

I am not going to fail to declare just to save a few quid.
My advice is o declare and let the insurance company decide what they want to know about

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 18:54   #18
Cantray
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8 Club SE, Rover 75 cdt Club, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

I would probably take a pragmatic approach in a cutthroat market where any variation makes the contract non viable.

I am insuring for third parties as my insurer considers my car worthless. (And comprehensive insurance is consistently cheaper than third party only - i guess because of market size and algorithms)

It is unthinkable to me that my insurer would attempt to wriggle out of settling with a damaged third party on the grounds that i had fitted a real wood dash (i haven't) or carry a full size spare ( i do but don't know if its oe). Those with an inside view of insurance industry may correct me.
Cantray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 19:32   #19
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’ve just left Adrian Flux after 25 years with my modified classic mini cooper S. I got my renewal through and they under valued my car by £12,000. I had an independent valuation by the British Mini Club earlier this year. There was lots of going back and forth arguing the value and in the end they said I needed to get a valuation from a company of their choice even though I’d already paid for one by the BMC, probably the biggest mini club there is? I told them I wanted to cancel the policy and it seems that it was 15 days after the start and therefore I’d have to pay a cancellation fee. I was one day over because we had been discussing the value back and forth, it cost me around 30% of the overall yearly cover for 1 day

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 19:47   #20
Cantray
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8 Club SE, Rover 75 cdt Club, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Sorry to hear that. On the other hand I wish I too had a car that could be undervalued by £12 000! The latest valuation for mine is only £400 which I consider remarkable as the car does almost everything I want from it. (Its not the one that won't start). It's also very cheap to insure and I want to keep it that way so will avoid any mods .....
Cantray is offline   Reply With Quote