Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd April 2021, 17:09   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default post office convictions overturned

Some 700 or more post masters have been convicted over missing money.

Today some 30 or so had there convictions overturned. This scandal has come up before but how on earth do you compensate the postmasters for what has happened to them? What does this say about our justice system and those that investigated and brought the prosecutions?

News says it is the greatest miscarriage of justice in UK history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56859357

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:18   #2
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Despite those at the top at the Post Office knew of the computer problem, they carried out prosecutions with some relish.

They wanted their casualties come what may.

That is what sticks in my craw.

Those at the top, who oversaw this debacle, shouldn't be surprised if the innocent victims who they pursued so vigorously want their " pound of flesh", too.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:33   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Absolutely ridiculous that these poor people were put through this fiasco, I hope some heads roll over this.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:50   #4
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But

The thing that bothers me most is the Post Office having the same powers of the CPS without any Police investigation, why was there no criminal investigation into this? It seems that someone behind a desk made life changing accusations without any proof, how can anyone be convicted of a criminal offence without a full legal process by the Police and CPS. There's something badly wrong in our legal system right now if this can happen.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:24   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

The justice system in this country has always been pants!
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:54   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
As the old saying goes Rich, its a court of law, not a court of justice.
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:58   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I would agree, an old friend who hit hard times with his business decided to fiddle the VAT to the sum of a couple of grand and he was caught, his fine about double the amount of VAT he fiddled was totally disproportionate in my view to the offence, yet a local youth who stole a car, caused damage to other vehicles trying to out run the police and when he was caught a few £thousand of drugs were found in the vehicle, the car he had stolen was a write off. He was let off because of lack of evidence.

Basically one could pay a fine and the other was going to cost too put away so was let off.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:36   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I would agree, an old friend who hit hard times with his business decided to fiddle the VAT to the sum of a couple of grand and he was caught, his fine about double the amount of VAT he fiddled was totally disproportionate in my view to the offence, yet a local youth who stole a car, caused damage to other vehicles trying to out run the police and when he was caught a few £thousand of drugs were found in the vehicle, the car he had stolen was a write off. He was let off because of lack of evidence.

Basically one could pay a fine and the other was going to cost too put away so was let off.
I rest my case m’lud
Old 24th April 2021, 05:43   #9
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Default Nick Wallis - Investigative Journalist

Nick Wallis, the investigative journalist who tirelessly championed and highlighted the postmasters case, he was crowdfunded so as to take leave from his normal work and attend every day of the court hearings, should be knighted. He is an example of the very best of investigative journalism.

His series of radio documentaries The Great Post Office Trial are remarkable, perhaps shocking is a better word. They are currently on BBC Sounds for anyone who hasn't heard them.

Last edited by Annfield-East; 24th April 2021 at 06:27.. Reason: Title Added
Annfield-East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 07:32   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
Nick Wallis, the investigative journalist who tirelessly championed and highlighted the postmasters case, he was crowdfunded so as to take leave from his normal work and attend every day of the court hearings, should be knighted. He is an example of the very best of investigative journalism.

His series of radio documentaries The Great Post Office Trial are remarkable, perhaps shocking is a better word. They are currently on BBC Sounds for anyone who hasn't heard them.
Totally agree.

I would also suggest a read of the article from “ComputerWeekly.com” 7th Dec 2020. It looks like a number of computer literate people were well aware of the issues and were sure a miscarriage of justice was not just happening but was being pushed along by certain people in the Post Office Senior Management.

I cannot post links on here so if anyone wishes to - I would be grateful

The article is:-

“Post Office IT scandal CEO Paula Vennells jumps NHS ship as pressure mounts”

After leaving the PO - Vennells became Chair at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.

A Consultant at the NHS Trust after reading about the case referred Vennells appointment to the NHS Trust to the Care Quality Commission.

The suggestion is that she jumped before she was pushed as it has been revealed that a document exists which proves that the PO was advised by one of its own Barristers that its expert witnesses in the prosecution of Sub-Postmasters failed to give information that could have undermined the prosecutions.

The Peer James Arbuthnot recently said that the document could reveal that the Post Office “lied to, and was in contempt of, Parliament” during the previous inquiry into the scandal

It was also asked:-

“Can it be coincidence that shortly after it became clear that the Post Office lied to Parliament, Paula Vennells announced she was stepping down from the NHS job?”

Excellent article from ComputerWeekly Well worth a read.

Last edited by Darcydog; 24th April 2021 at 07:33.. Reason: Typo
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote