Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd April 2010, 14:17   #1
simonej
Avid contributor

ZT-T 190

Default Changed the spark plugs today - some questions

I finally got round to changing the spark plugs today. Found it fairly straight forward, the hardest part was getting the plenum covers back into position! (I took a fair few photos if anyone needs a rough guide.)

Anyway, most of them looked OK with a light grey, browny colour but this was the state of one of the plugs, any idea why it's like this? It was from the front right (think it's number 5 cylinder) so would be under the oil filler cap, could some spillage have got in their somehow?

BTW, car has done 50k and is 8 years old and I'm guessing they're the original plugs.

simonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:19   #2
simonej
Avid contributor

ZT-T 190

Sorry, this was meant to be in the Technical forum so if a mod could move it if needed.....
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:53   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonej View Post
Sorry, this was meant to be in the Technical forum so if a mod could move it if needed.....
Done.

A few photos would be good.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:44   #4
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Stuff can get down there and there is no way out for it. I am surprised nobody has replaced the plugs in all that time. Key question is what did the plug electrodes look like ? This can tell you a lot about the conditions in the combustion chamber
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:39   #5
simonej
Avid contributor

ZT-T 190

Thanks for the replies. I'll assume that the strange contamination on that plug is due to a bit of oil running down from the filler cap, especially as the electrode seems normal (I think). As for the plugs being original, well the car has no history with it at all and has been a bit neglected in the past, so I'm doing my best to get it back to a decent state!

In case anyone is looking for some info on this, it took me an hour and a half to do all six and required little more than a basic socket set with 5" and 10" extension bars. I also have a 'mini' socket set for removing the smaller bolts. I removed the rubber bung from the spark plug socket as I have an extending magnet thingy for pulling them - also comes in useful when you drop your sockets/bolts/screws deep into the engine bay! Oh and this is the first time I've replaced spark plugs on any car so I'm not experienced at this at all!

Here are a few pics that I've tried to annotate a little;

This shows the three panels that I removed after removal of the acoustic engine cover - so four bits to remove in order to gain enough access.

This shows the location of the seven bolts that need to be removed from the coil packs. (Three on one and two on the others).

And this is what the electrodes look like. Pretty normal as far as i can tell.

Last edited by simonej; 22nd April 2010 at 22:41..
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:41   #6
iga
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8t Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonej View Post
I finally got round to changing the spark plugs today. Found it fairly straight forward, the hardest part was getting the plenum covers back into position! (I took a fair few photos if anyone needs a rough guide.)

Anyway, most of them looked OK with a light grey, browny colour but this was the state of one of the plugs, any idea why it's like this? It was from the front right (think it's number 5 cylinder) so would be under the oil filler cap, could some spillage have got in their somehow?

BTW, car has done 50k and is 8 years old and I'm guessing they're the original plugs.

This just looks like some oil has got into the plug socket. The tip of the plug looks okay.
iga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:14   #7
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

The plug electrodes you showed in the photo looked Ok to me, I have seen worse !

Plugs last much longer than they used to, in fact Jaguar recommend changing them at around 70k miles !
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 00:53   #8
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default A little bit of Copper Grease "will help.. in a most delightful way"

Did you rub any copper grease on the threads of your new plugs?
Copper grease is a high adhesive lubricant and anti corrosion agent that can withstand high temperatures and prevents the spark plugs from seizing in the engine. I use the Wurth product and was pleased to see that my Rover Service Centre also uses a number of Wurth's products in their workshop - including copper grease.
I don't claim to be an expert, but have heard that some old plugs that have seen 100,000 kms service in the KV6 engine have been a "real B" to extract.
egremont.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 11:15   #9
simonej
Avid contributor

ZT-T 190

Thanks for the replies.

I agree, I think the condition of the plugs is OK, no real wear and little in the way of deposits.

With regard to greasing the plugs, I actually smeared a bit of engine oil round the threads but in hindsight that will probably just burn off. Oh well, I do 30k a year so they won't be in there too long!
Old 24th April 2010, 18:42   #10
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

It's good advice on the copper greese.. Many garages do this just make sure you don't use to much..

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote