Notices

Old 4th May 2021, 09:46   #11
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
To answer the opening post..
Glad you are enjoying Dumfries and Galloway, it's a beautiful and often overlooked part of Scotland.
As you know many a Brexit thread was closed. I suspect that many a Scottish Independence thread will be closed too.
Let's not make this the first one guys. No politics please.
I appreciate what you say Simon - but would suggest it’s more of an economic subject. One that I am sure you will appreciate from both sides given your place of residence and mine!

Scotland- population 5.46 million

South West - population 5.57 million

Scotland GDP = £166.8 billion

South West GDP = £145.6 billion

GDP per person
Scotland £30,530
South West £23,362
U.K. average £27,428

U.K. Government Spend per person from tax revenue

Scotland = £11,566 per person
South West = £9,193 per person.

This is a 25.8% difference in favour of Scotland and to the detriment of the SW region. And yet population wise there is very little difference.

Literally - from where I stand right now - what is not to like about Scottish Independence.

(data from Gov.U.K. - Country and Regional Analysis.)
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2021, 19:36   #12
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I appreciate what you say Simon - but would suggest it’s more of an economic subject. One that I am sure you will appreciate from both sides given your place of residence and mine!

Scotland- population 5.46 million

South West - population 5.57 million

Scotland GDP = £166.8 billion

South West GDP = £145.6 billion

GDP per person
Scotland £30,530
South West £23,362
U.K. average £27,428

U.K. Government Spend per person from tax revenue

Scotland = £11,566 per person
South West = £9,193 per person.

This is a 25.8% difference in favour of Scotland and to the detriment of the SW region. And yet population wise there is very little difference.

Literally - from where I stand right now - what is not to like about Scottish Independence.

(data from Gov.U.K. - Country and Regional Analysis.)
Excellent post. Well done
In any event my request was not to turn the thread political, simples.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2021, 21:44   #13
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Excellent post. Well done
In any event my request was not to turn the thread political, simples.
Thank you

Very much appreciated

If only it was............. simples...
Old 9th May 2021, 13:06   #14
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Well the SNP will continue in power, I’m bracing myself for 5 yrs of Scotexit discussion. I’m not looking forward to it and it’s consequences.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 15:10   #15
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

In the wider and non-P word context, it would be simpler if wider but more democratic (from a point of view of non-partisan inclusion) if the whole of the UK were allowed a vote on what concerns every single one of us! 300 years are important!

After all, we all draw influence and benefit from and have vested interest in our combined future, no matter what a tiny partisan group see as existential. To limit a vote to a minority of committed and diversionary interested parties is a long way from democratic. It would also of course severely limit later accusations of 'a fix'.
Old 9th May 2021, 16:26   #16
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 17:21   #17
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Am away in my caravan at the moment, we are in Powburn, Northumberland. We have visited a few places on the border, Floors castle, Berwick upon Tweed, Kelso, Eyemouth and the air museum at East Fortune - everywhere has been stunning. Looking forward to visiting Abbotsford tomorrow and Edinburgh on Thursday.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 12:15   #18
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Well the SNP will continue in power, I’m bracing myself for 5 yrs of Scotexit discussion. I’m not looking forward to it and it’s consequences.
Referendum was supposed to be once in a generation not as many times as needed to get the result they want

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 16:11   #19
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Referendum was supposed to be once in a generation not as many times as needed to get the result they want
A trick learned at the knee of Uncle EU.

But sometimes I wonder why the SNP make such an almighty hash of setting out exactly what their vision and plans are for Scottish Independence.

For the previous referendum their plans were so inept and one product (oil) orientated that the majority of voters saw that it would never work and so voted against Independence.

And now, after an excellent showing in these latest elections and with the help of the Greens there is a majority in favour in Holyrood for another Referendum.

And I agree with Sturgeon that given this majority - NOT allowing another Referendum would cause far more problems for the U.K. as a whole.

So let’s bite the bullet and get on with it!

But where is the SNP’s plans and timeline for everyone to see so that voters are voting for something real and tangible rather than something based upon an emotional dislike of the English and Boris in particular.

I find it odd that just like UKIP - the SNP seems to be a single idea party. They do not seem (from the figures I’ve seen) to be able to run Scotland without building up a significant Deficit - which of course the rest of the U.K. currently bails Scotland out on.

So do the SNP actually want to achieve Independence? Because if the do the buck stops with them. And as yet, the lack of detailed plans is getting worrying.

Yes Covid needs sorting, but for the U.K. things are going well. So surely now would be the time to present a clear agenda and detailed manifesto on the benefits to all of Independen

Instead we get “Well do it later”.

Why exactly is the SNP more keen on kicking this into the long grass?

Because if they DO NOT come up with the plans, are they banking on another “No” vote so that the status quo they seem to like can continue?

Or do they fear that they are a one trick pony akin to UKIP and once that “trick” is achieved - their reason and rationale for existence disappears.

As do the votes (just look at the latest (UKIP/Brexit party) results.

I say let’s ALL make sure a second referendum on Scottish Independence takes place. The sooner the better. A yes vote would force the SNP into the real world as the U.K. teat would be removed. A No vote, so close after the previous would really clear the table for a United Kingdom.

I think Scotland deserves better than a “one trick pony”.
Old 10th May 2021, 22:02   #20
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
A trick learned at the knee of Uncle EU.

But sometimes I wonder why the SNP make such an almighty hash of setting out exactly what their vision and plans are for Scottish Independence.

For the previous referendum their plans were so inept and one product (oil) orientated that the majority of voters saw that it would never work and so voted against Independence.

And now, after an excellent showing in these latest elections and with the help of the Greens there is a majority in favour in Holyrood for another Referendum.

And I agree with Sturgeon that given this majority - NOT allowing another Referendum would cause far more problems for the U.K. as a whole.

So let’s bite the bullet and get on with it!

But where is the SNP’s plans and timeline for everyone to see so that voters are voting for something real and tangible rather than something based upon an emotional dislike of the English and Boris in particular.

I find it odd that just like UKIP - the SNP seems to be a single idea party. They do not seem (from the figures I’ve seen) to be able to run Scotland without building up a significant Deficit - which of course the rest of the U.K. currently bails Scotland out on.

So do the SNP actually want to achieve Independence? Because if the do the buck stops with them. And as yet, the lack of detailed plans is getting worrying.

Yes Covid needs sorting, but for the U.K. things are going well. So surely now would be the time to present a clear agenda and detailed manifesto on the benefits to all of Independen

Instead we get “Well do it later”.

Why exactly is the SNP more keen on kicking this into the long grass?

Because if they DO NOT come up with the plans, are they banking on another “No” vote so that the status quo they seem to like can continue?

Or do they fear that they are a one trick pony akin to UKIP and once that “trick” is achieved - their reason and rationale for existence disappears.

As do the votes (just look at the latest (UKIP/Brexit party) results.

I say let’s ALL make sure a second referendum on Scottish Independence takes place. The sooner the better. A yes vote would force the SNP into the real world as the U.K. teat would be removed. A No vote, so close after the previous would really clear the table for a United Kingdom.

I think Scotland deserves better than a “one trick pony”.
So what about independence for the Shetland isles or Aberdeenshire, come to think of it let’s give everyone independence in minutiae. The problem is the rural communities are dominated by the decisions of masses in the central belt, and one could argue what do they do for us, certainly decisions are taken not in our favour.
Eventually there will be another vote for independence, when who knows but I can assure you that there are a lot of quiet folks that don’t have delusions of Mel Gibsons Braveheart in their minds that will step up to vote on the day. The independence dudes are generally all shouty and get the most coverage on media unfortunately.

Come on HMG beat them to it. Call an independence vote for England that will put the Mel Gibsons fans on the back foot.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote