Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd May 2021, 08:59   #11
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I rarely have an open fire, but there is still nothing like one. My home is sufficiently original to still have open hearths in 3 lounges and 3 of the bedrooms, and although I rarely use them, I don't think my continued use will make a scrap of difference. The UK contributes less than 1% of the carbon footprint of the world, so a long way to go for the rest!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:40   #12
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Germany has been building Geo-thermal power stations & geologist have found enough boiling hot lithium to supply 400 million BEV's Two birds with one stone or what! Kerching. https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...e-rhine-river/
Lol, I’m involved in Geo-thermal, if only they knew the true costs. Tax payer funded. Never mind it’s one of the most profitable arms of our business with everyone jumping on the bandwagon and ultimately lining the pockets of the new green elite.

Last edited by Lovel; 2nd May 2021 at 09:42..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:37   #13
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Lol, I’m involved in Geo-thermal, if only they knew the true costs. Tax payer funded. Never mind it’s one of the most profitable arms of our business with everyone jumping on the bandwagon and ultimately lining the pockets of the new green elite.

More likely they'll tax the fossil fuel motorists to pay for it.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:57   #14
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeon's,

I'm "trimming" my tree's down at the side of my house.
I'll soon have quite a lot of wet wood that'll be free to anyone on here who can come and collect it.
It'll obviously need to be dried out over summer so it can be burnt in winter time.
I believe they are beech tree's.

I'm in Derby.

Message me if anyone is interested.

Richard.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:31   #15
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

In some ways I’m pleased to see that the burning of wood is now seen to have negative consequences. Albeit primarily in our leafy lanes and suburbs where it became fashionable to have a wood-burner installed.

Dealing with the ash and dust was a bit of a wake up call for many tho’.

Broadening the issue out a bit, if Propane is burnt for heat and cooking it pretty much burns completely so no ash or dust. But Propane is of course a fossil fuel and so in the eyes of the likes of Greta the Doom Goblin - propane is akin to the Devils flatulence.

So it’s being banned and people in the Third World must not have it! So they do burn coal and wood for heat and cooking and often live in the room where the open fire is lit.

The effect on their health is enormous.

The effect on the Forests with people chopping down wood to burn contributes to Deforestation. Something in my book that is FAR more worrying than an increase in CO2 from 0.039% to 0.04%.

In fact NASA has shown that this slight increase in CO2 has contributed to the greening of the planet by supporting the growth of more plant biomass.

So - we in the U.K. are to be banned from burning coal and wood - but we also forbid poorer countries from having access to Propane so that they have to chop down trees and burn wet wood and sometimes coal.

I have yet to meet a so called “Climate Change Extremist” that can grasp this simple paradox. They are the only people I know that can put two and two together and swear blind the answer is three.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:39   #16
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

So - we in the U.K. are to be banned from burning coal and wood - but we also forbid poorer countries from having access to Propane so that they have to chop down trees and burn wet wood and sometimes coal.

I have yet to meet a so called “Climate Change Extremist” that can grasp this simple paradox. They are the only people I know that can put two and two together and swear blind the answer is three.
For some reasonMaslow's hierarchy of needs sprung to mind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow...archy_of_needs).

Basic needs include Food, Water and Shelter. So you need to be able to cook food and keep yourself warm and this will be by whatever means are available pretty much regardless of what may or may not happen tomorrow/next week/next year or at some point in the future.

There's another thread on here about "Professionals"

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:26   #17
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I wonder how narrowboats will be affected? I watch a few narrow boating vids on youtube just to see the beautiful rural canal scenery we have in this country.

From what I've seen almost all of them use bagged house coal for their wood burning stoves.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:32   #18
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

What about Heritage Railways,they burn tons of coal every day

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:50   #19
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
What about Heritage Railways,they burn tons of coal every day
And Traction Engines, I know they dont do a lot of mileage but a friend who has one was telling me he has to order the 3 or 4 tons of coal he needs at least a couple of weeks ahead of him needing it and it is sourced now from China

For events more than 60 miles from his base he gets a low loader to take it to the event but for more local events he enjoys the drive. He has an original caravan he tows and stops at most pubs on route to refresh the engine with water and refreshment for him.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:18   #20
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Railways, Steam Traction Engines, Narrowboats - all part of our heritage that some would rather us not admit to let alone celebrate.

If there is a Statue put up somewhere to any of the above the “mobocracy” will tear it down and chuck it in the canal rather than celebrate how Steam, Canals and Railways enabled us to get to where we are today.

Kids are taught that they are in receipt of undeserved “privilege” today and so must destroy heritage rather than acknowledge it - and learn from it - warts and all.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote