Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th September 2022, 01:26   #1
Allysong

Rover 75

Default 2003 Rover 75 Connoisseur-needs an experienced mechanic

Asking for information on location/availability of a garage/ mechanic who is experienced with Rover 75’s, near to Bury (BL8)
4 weeks ago, My 2003 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur Automatic wouldn’t start, ignition turning over but not firing. AA called but mechanic couldn’t work out what was wrong, and towed it to a garage in Bury, Lancs, where my parents live, so my dad could assist in getting it fixed. (I however live in Darwen, near Blackburn)2 weeks in a garage & 2 mechanics couldn’t fix it. The car is now parked outside my parents house, while I decide what to do. My dad thinks I should scrap it, but I don’t want to give up just yet. It’s in great condition, only done 43,000 miles, so asking on this forum is my last resort.
Has had a new petrol pump and crank shaft sensor, with no success. AA thought it was a fuel distribution problem. Been confirmed that air and petrol are getting to engine.
Two different diagnostic machines have been used and a 3rd mechanic has had a look but he can not work out what the problem is either. I’m thinking that a mechanic that knows these cars could help but have been unable to find one. Google has not helped at all. So, any suggestions are welcome.
Allysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2022, 05:40   #2
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Sounds like fuel filter separation to me, search the forum for FFS - plenty of information there.
Hope that helps.
Old 14th September 2022, 07:25   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allysong View Post
Been confirmed that air and petrol are getting to engine.
Hello Allyson and to the club.

Although you may have a fuel supply at the engine it has to be at the correct pressure. This will be low if the known problem of fuel filter separation has occurred as bsafly says.

I see that you've had the fuel pump replaced. The filter assembly is on the opposite side of the tank and has the same fitting so your garage should carefully lift it just a few inches (beware of the internal attached tubes). All that's necessary is to attempt to tighten the two sections on the screw thread and fit a special clip designed to prevent a reoccurrence. Warn your garage not to dismantle the filter since the seal is easily dislodged which will worsen the problem.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to consider camshaft position sensor failure.

Simon
Old 14th September 2022, 13:06   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

My first thought was also FFS to be fixed with the FOC.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2022, 16:22   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Classic non start on a later petrol engine from 2001 onwards- the fix is cheap and simple -see link below - all petrol owners with a car from 2001 onward are recommended to fit this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134222497...Bk9SR8rx58znYA

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2022, 11:01   #6
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Horner's of Swinton are pretty local to Bury, and as ex-MG Rover dealers still have expertise. I haven't used them personally, but believe they've done work on my car under previous ownership, and many club members report favourably.

http://www.hornersarc.co.uk/

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2022, 11:51   #7
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

It will be the fuel filter separation in the fuel tank.
Heres a link https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=58832 to what needs doing.

I can pop the seat squab off and lift the pump out the tank to check if its seperated, as only in Burnley so not too far from me to check for you.
FOC - Fabled Orange Clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allysong View Post
Asking for information on location/availability of a garage/ mechanic who is experienced with Rover 75’s, near to Bury (BL8)
4 weeks ago, My 2003 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur Automatic wouldn’t start, ignition turning over but not firing. AA called but mechanic couldn’t work out what was wrong, and towed it to a garage in Bury, Lancs, where my parents live, so my dad could assist in getting it fixed. (I however live in Darwen, near Blackburn)2 weeks in a garage & 2 mechanics couldn’t fix it. The car is now parked outside my parents house, while I decide what to do. My dad thinks I should scrap it, but I don’t want to give up just yet. It’s in great condition, only done 43,000 miles, so asking on this forum is my last resort.
Has had a new petrol pump and crank shaft sensor, with no success. AA thought it was a fuel distribution problem. Been confirmed that air and petrol are getting to engine.
Two different diagnostic machines have been used and a 3rd mechanic has had a look but he can not work out what the problem is either. I’m thinking that a mechanic that knows these cars could help but have been unable to find one. Google has not helped at all. So, any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by simondhopkins; 16th September 2022 at 11:54..
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2022, 14:22   #8
Allysong

Rover 75

Thank you Simon. I have ordered a part for fixing separation within the fuel filter and my brother in law is going to fit it. Hoping that this solves the problem. Do not want to scrap my lovely car, which is what I was going to do, then I joined this forum! Wish I’d done it weeks ago! Am very grateful for all the advice I’ve received. Allyson
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:06   #9
Allysong

Rover 75

Default Thank you

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU- to all the members who all advised me that the problem with my car sounded like Fuel Filter Separation. They were all correct and now my my lovely car is fixed!! My brother in law (not a mechanic) managed to fix the fuel filter in under an hour! Wish I’d used this forum weeks ago! Would have saved me a lot of time and money. So glad I didn’t give up on it, and found this forum instead! Result! Allyson