Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th January 2018, 21:54   #1
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Default Traction Control

Every year in winter when my car has a bit of a twitch pulling away, my traction control light pops up and stays up until I switch ignition off.
Does this mean my traction control is out of action while the light is on or does it mean it is available.
if it is bad what can I do about it.
Terry
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 22:58   #2
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

It could be a number of things.
The traction control does a self check when you first switch the ignition on.
If there is a fault in the system (broken cable, faulty traction unit etc) the light will activate and if activated the traction function will not work.
From my experience traction unit faults are usually either a small bit of the cog in the unit breaks off and jams it up or the cable snaps on the throttle body end.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 12:42   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

On my Freelander the traction control light comes on whilst it is intervening - always thought it was perfectly normal and just letting you know it is doing something.

Doesn't stay on like yours though, so it might be worth getting the fault codes read to see if something is upsetting it if the checks genpk has suggested don't show a fault.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 12th January 2018 at 12:49..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 23:00   #4
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
It could be a number of things.

From my experience traction unit faults are usually either a small bit of the cog in the unit breaks off and jams it up or the cable snaps on the throttle body end.

Hi
Whereabouts is the Traction Unit located (2.5 V6) .... and if it is a damaged cog can the unit be dismantled / repaired do you know?
Thanks in advance!
John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 08:51   #5
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
On my Freelander the traction control light comes on whilst it is intervening - always thought it was perfectly normal and just letting you know it is doing something.

Doesn't stay on like yours though, so it might be worth getting the fault codes read to see if something is upsetting it if the checks genpk has suggested don't show a fault.

I agree, that is how I would expect it to work, but mine does not re-set until I switch off. I did think about the secondary throttle sticking, but why would it clear if the ignition is turned off seconds later or not clear for hours if ignition not turned off?
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 09:41   #6
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout20 View Post
Hi
Whereabouts is the Traction Unit located (2.5 V6) .... and if it is a damaged cog can the unit be dismantled / repaired do you know?
Thanks in advance!
John
It’s located on the drivers side fire wall, just to left of the Vis manifold.
Bolted on by 3 nuts.
It has a small inspection flap you can open to see if the cable or cog is working.
You can dis assemble the unit by separating the top cover but the units are really sealed up as a non serviceable item though it can be done.
As for the cog, the unit is actually the same unit as BMW used on some of there early E series cars and used as a throttle part and at one time bmw did sell a repair kit (cog etc) but no one appears to have actually seen a kit.
If there is a bit of the cog jammed up, dig it out and usually the unit will still work as most of the cog remains in affected.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:43   #7
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Many thanks for this info.

When it stops raining here (do you remember rain!? ) I'll get under the bonnet!

Cheers
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
It’s located on the drivers side fire wall, just to left of the Vis manifold.
Bolted on by 3 nuts.
It has a small inspection flap you can open to see if the cable or cog is working.
You can dis assemble the unit by separating the top cover but the units are really sealed up as a non serviceable item though it can be done.
As for the cog, the unit is actually the same unit as BMW used on some of there early E series cars and used as a throttle part and at one time bmw did sell a repair kit (cog etc) but no one appears to have actually seen a kit.
If there is a bit of the cog jammed up, dig it out and usually the unit will still work as most of the cog remains in affected.

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote