Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd June 2018, 17:05   #1
Padfoot

MG ZT

Default Electrical drivers seat issues

Hi,
Currently owning a mark 1 MG ZT, The car used to have alcantara seats in, but we managed to find some leather ones that were in good condition, we've fit them in with very little problems, The heated option works fine, and the seat will move forwards and backwards, but the back rest of, the seat cannot be electrically or manually adjusted.
at first we thought it was the motor, but after swapping the drivers seat out for another in my S/O car, it still didn't work, was just wondering if anyone else had come across this problem before?

Thanks in advance
Padfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 16:15   #2
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Anyone got any help on this one? we are a bit stuck.

Basically motor and wiring on the seat are fine on both seats.. can plug into donor car and they move perfectly.
Soon as i stick it into this MK1 the forward and back work fine, but the back rest will not move at all when the electical switch is operated.

Even using the memory function the backrest stays in the same position.

Could this be a fuse or does the option need enabling in T4? its a factory high spec loom so the seats where plug and play.

Last edited by TomRS; 4th June 2018 at 16:18..
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 08:42   #3
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

So let me get this right, your alacantra and the leather both work in the donor car, your alacantra works in your car and the donor car, but when the leather seat is put in your car, the backrest does not work.

On the alacantra and leather seats, does the height and tilt functions work in your car and the donor car.

Nothing to do with fuse or T4, because everything is. controlled by the on board seat ecu, and no such thing as enabling backrest operation. It would be like the T4 turning lazy locking on/off if there was a lazy locking on/off switch on the console panel

Ii both seats are memory, you could try swapping the ecu's, makes no sense, but neither does your problem, so try it.

Last edited by Devilish; 5th June 2018 at 08:53..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 10:54   #4
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
So let me get this right, your alacantra and the leather both work in the donor car, your alacantra works in your car and the donor car, but when the leather seat is put in your car, the backrest does not work.

On the alacantra and leather seats, does the height and tilt functions work in your car and the donor car.

Nothing to do with fuse or T4, because everything is. controlled by the on board seat ecu, and no such thing as enabling backrest operation. It would be like the T4 turning lazy locking on/off if there was a lazy locking on/off switch on the console panel

Ii both seats are memory, you could try swapping the ecu's, makes no sense, but neither does your problem, so try it.
Hey thanks for the reply.

The orginal seats were non electric non memory, but the plugs where all in place on the seat loom (on the car) for a memory seat.

So we bought some leather seats and fitted them however the backrest wouldnt adjust electrically.
I assumed it was just a bad seat and then upon taking the fully working seat out of my own ZT-T to try it it has the exact same problem.
All the seat works but the backrest wont operate it does it on both seats so its something to do with the car loom.
Passanger seat works a charm as does the heated seat elements on both seats the memory function also works and chimes but it WILL NOT allow the backrest to move... its as though the motor is dead the switch just does nothing, but soon as i move it into another car both seats work perfectly fine...

Its really confusing the hell outta me! :|
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 11:06   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I think your problem is caused with the difference in the memory loom against non memory.

I recently converted my passengers seat ( non memory) for height adjustment using parts from a drivers seat.
Obviously the switch, although does the correct functions it was upside down.

I purchased an 8 way left hand switch (non returnable) but found it was for a memory seat.
I tested all the switch connections against my drivers seat switch and all but one wire was correct.
Thus the switch does not work so I think this may also be your problem.
Try checking all wire positions between both a memory loom and non memory loom to see if there’s any differences.
Hope this helps.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote